Alaska - here we come! Need advice

JulesNJ

Well, not for another year yet, but still, we're going!:D

Hello all of you Alaska cruise experts! My husband and I just completed our very first cruise on Princess for our honeymoon and as most of you correctly predicted - we're now hooked!

Our next trip will be to Alaska and I wanted to ask some of you when the best time of year is to go? We are very interested in photographing wildlife, going on nature hikes, etc. We'd rather not go when everything is hibernating (like I tend to do in the Winter!:D) - am I correct in assuming that Spring/Summer is optimum to sail to Alaska? I am concerned with the possibility of sailing in August/September due to hurricane season - what are your thoughts on this?

If any of you Alaska experts have advice on where to go, what to do, and most importantly WHEN to go to fully take advantage of the sights and wildlife in Alaska, I'd love to hear your recommendations!

Thanks in advance!

First of all there is no hurrican season in alaska. now it can get rainy but that is about it. I have been to Alaska many times and i prefer end of may first part of June as I found the weather to be the best but that is just my opinion. Now any month is fine; also September has the beautiful fall colors.

The Ports of Call board for Alaska has a wealth of information over there. Just do some searching there and all of the question that you have asked have been asked many times over there. have a great cruise and Alaska is the best.

Marilyn

We have been twice in June - and the weather was good - however late August is the best time for bear sighting as they are down by the water - eating Salmon - there is a nature trip you can take out of Skagway to Haines - we saw a bear there last June and the naturalist told us that bears come at the end of AUgust into September before hibernaton

my Alaska album is:http://picasaweb.google.com/prescottgal

have a great cruise!

I'm another one who votes end of May/first of June. We actually saw quite a few bears this year (left Memorial Day) which surprised us. One of the advantages of May is less children (if that is important to you). You won't see the salmon running, but the whales will still be about. Also lots of new "babies" in late spring which is nice.

Hello all of you Alaska cruise experts! My husband and I just completed our very first cruise on Princess for our honeymoon and as most of you correctly predicted - we're now hooked!

Our next trip will be to Alaska and I wanted to ask some of you when the best time of year is to go? We are very interested in photographing wildlife, going on nature hikes, etc. We'd rather not go when everything is hibernating (like I tend to do in the Winter!:D) - am I correct in assuming that Spring/Summer is optimum to sail to Alaska? I am concerned with the possibility of sailing in August/September due to hurricane season - what are your thoughts on this?

If any of you Alaska experts have advice on where to go, what to do, and most importantly WHEN to go to fully take advantage of the sights and wildlife in Alaska, I'd love to hear your recommendations!

Thanks in advance!

We got back from Sapphire on June 7. We had perfect weather and saw almost all the wildlife. We missed the salmon completely and only saw 1 bear for a brief second. It was far less expensive than later in the season, but next time we are going later to see the salmon running . We did not do the land portion, and had an inside cabin. Never made it to the MDR because we were out on deck looking @ the scenery so much of the time.

There is NO bad time in Alaska. Even @ 30 degrees below zero it is a beautiful state!:eek:

Just returned from 2 weeks on the Sapphire. Stunning scenery, lots of wildlife and the salmon were in full flood. The ship was full and there were many children. The only time I saw a queue was on the last day at the Horizon Court for breakfast, but I avoided that by having leasurely breakfast in the International Dining Room. I never really saw any children either since they all seemed to spend their time in the kids clubs. As far as I am concerned August was an excellent time to go.

Just back Yesterday from Star Princess.

first time for August, last two times were May. Differences I saw were the snow was melted. the scenery although different was beautiful. Also never saw Salmon running in May (they aren't there yet). But this week couldn't believe the sight. Ketchikan streams were loaded. Spent three hours walking from stream area to area and was mesmerized by it. We went to Tracy Arm for glacier viewing. Didn't get all the way in because of all the ice in the water. But it was breathtaking scenery, cold but fresh air. I prefer Glacier Bay for getting up close and being we were there in May last time,all the mountains were covered with snow and ice.

Any trip to Alaska no matter when you go, is unbelievable.

We have been twice in June - and the weather was good - however late August is the best time for bear sighting as they are down by the water - eating Salmon - there is a nature trip you can take out of Skagway to Haines - we saw a bear there last June and the naturalist told us that bears come at the end of AUgust into September before hibernaton

my Alaska album is:http://picasaweb.google.com/prescottgal

have a great cruise!

Your photos are just stunning!

I am so excited about Alaska. I think as far as work commitments, etc, May of next year may be the best time for us to go. Thank you all so much for the information! No doubt I will be asking more questions as we get further into the planning process!:D

We went in May - too early for the salmon, but no kids on the ship. We saw an article in a travel magazine that said that if you were going to go in May or September, you should go in May. The reasoning was the tourism business employees were glad to see you. In September they could not wait for you to go! I live and work in a tourist town, and would have to agree with that!

May/June will potentially have more beautiful sunny days which are great for photography and seeing the mountains.

Just got off the Star on Sunday and found late August to also be great as we saw lots of salmon running, went on a tour where bears were gathering salmon from the stream, saw eagles and sea lions and bears, oh my! Even whales and porpoises and dolphins. Anyway, weather was sometimes overcast but it was a truly great trip.

Thanks in advance!

No hurricanes in AK, unless you are in the Bering Sea, which you won't be, and then usually only after October (and they aren't really hurricanes, just hurricane force winds 75+ mph).

This year will be my sixth cruise to Alaska, next year my seventh. I've gone all across the season, and really prefer the end, for a number of reasons. If you are into shopping, the deals are far better at the end of the season, when shopkeepers are trying to reduce inventory for the off season. Whales are beginning their migrations south, so you stand a better chance of seeing them on the move.

Bears generally don't start hibernating until it gets considerably colder than it is in September, either.

Weather is unpredictable, no matter when you are there. I've been in June when it was near 95 degrees, and I've been in September when it was near 30 degrees. Rain is a constant factor in SE AK, and you could even see some snow very early or very late in the season.

The sea conditions tend to be better toward the middle of the season.

But, no matter when you go, you are sure to love it and want to return.

....... we saw lots of salmon running, went on a tour where bears were gathering salmon from the stream, saw eagles and sea lions and bears, oh my! Even whales and porpoises and dolphins. Anyway, weather was sometimes overcast but it was a truly great trip.

Oh my goodness! This sounds like the perfect vacation! I am very much into nature and wildlife and great scenery - I need to win the lottery because I am not going to want to get off the ship!:D

Archived