Princess moving to anytime dining only?

VTSnorkeler

Not to defend the TA but this is a thought. Many TA's use a different Booking Engine rather than direct to PCL thru Polar. Those booking engines for Princess now only show Personal Choice/Anytime Dining on almost all PCL sailings and Traditional Early and Late does not even appear. I know because this happened to me when I booked the Crown for myself for the January 16th sailing this past week. Traditional was not even an option to be wail listed. I had no choice but to place it in Anytime. Of couse I knew better so I have a request direct to Princess to try to be waitlisted for Early with no response back :o

Anytime dining is actually harder to execute, but it's enough of a selling point for some and enough people have asked for it that it's become a reality.

We are entering a new phase of cruising now. Soon all the dinning rooms will be by reservation only with additional dining costs. For those who will pooh-hooh this thought, remember when we said they would never ever dare place mandatory gratuities only our accounts...

We are entering a new phase of cruising now. Soon all the dinning rooms will be by reservation only with additional dining costs. For those who will pooh-hooh this thought, remember when we said they would never ever dare place mandatory gratuities only our accounts...

Excuse me, but we still don't have mandatory gratuities on our accounts.

Maybe Princess should adopt a 3 strikes & your 'out' policy for the no-shows unless theres a valid reason:p. Then those who want to do TD could be given those tables & free up some space in anytime.

That is a very good idea! I hope Princess are listening.

since some airlines are charging extra for window or aisle seats, they could put a surcharge for dining between 6:30-7:03 reservations and how about pieces of luggage? I know they price basedoin location but what else will they think of. Early boarding or depature fees? Towel animals?

Maybe Princess should adopt a 3 strikes & your 'out' policy for the no-shows unless theres a valid reason:p. Then those who want to do TD could be given those tables & free up some space in anytime.

I would hate to be the person who has to decide what excuses are valid & which aren't- or keep track of the excuses. LOL :D Suppose someone went to the buffet on the two formal nights & wasn't felling well on another evening? Do they need a doctors written note? :)

If in fact the anytime dining issues are getting worse, it could be that more and more passengers prefer that or the most likely scenario is those who are confirmed in traditional are using both dining rooms.

You can only go to the dining room that is indicated on your card. You cannot switch back and forth.

Chris

since some airlines are charging extra for window or aisle seats, they could put a surcharge for dining between 6:30-7:03 reservations and how about pieces of luggage? I know they price basedoin location but what else will they think of. Early boarding or depature fees? Towel animals?

Great idea! To guarantee a TD spot charge an extra $10.00 pp a night. :p It's a supply and demand thing right? pay for it just like the spa, or bar service. ;)

An lets move traditional seating to the buffet! :o After all, the buffet is where some Traditional diners suggest is a completely acceptable place where anytime diners can go if they don't like a set seating time, so it must be good enough for them.

We have always Anytime and have never waited more than 5 minutes for a table - we usually make a reservation early in the day - however - even when we have forgotten we have never had a major wait.

Ron

It's very difficult any longer to get a reservation. You can start early in the morning and the lines are busy and by the time you get through the reservations are gone (limited). The lines now are long for reservations so you stand on the right side for reservations and the left line to go in one group at a time. More and more people are catching onto making reservations for "anytime" dining because then you can eat when you want and yet get the same table/waiter each night.

Chris

We stopped cruising HAL some years ago when everyone was 100 years old and we kept tripping over wheelchairs, walkers and oxygen tanks. I remember was upstairs was smoking and downstairs was not. Times do change. ;)

Hope you don't get old one day and have to use "help". It's the retired people that keep the ships cruising the seas during the fall, winter and spring. We have been on 5 different cruise lines and if I didn't know what cruise line I was with I could not tell by the age of the people. I had heard that all of the people were older on HAL and it was not true. There was a true mix of ALL ages. I enjoy all ages and hope you learn to also because "all ages" has something to give to us all. :)

Chris

]If in fact the anytime dining issues are getting worse[/b]' date=' it could be that more and more passengers prefer that or the most likely scenario is those who are confirmed in traditional are using both dining rooms.[/quote']

You can only go to the dining room that is indicated on your card. You cannot switch back and forth.

Chris

It could be getting worse only to CC a mere one percent of the cruising population. I switched from TD to AT during my cruise based on people's actual experience not opinions. CC is only one percent of the cruising population. If everything posted is true, it might not affect your vacation. I almost canceled by first Princess cruise after reading this board. I read and believed opinions and hearsays posted as facts. Now I try to use others actul experience as a guideline, still knowing mine could be different. Of the real horrible things posted here I have experienced none. Of the super good posted here I have experienced few. In 2 cruises I have not gotten the over the top service and food. However I haven't experienced the long wait for AT. Based on my actual experience Princess stay on my list but depends on my mood won't always be my first choice.

Chris

It could be getting worse only to CC a mere one percent of the cruising population. I switched from TD to AT during my cruise based on people's actual experience not opinions. CC is only one percent of the cruising population. If everything posted is true, it might not affect your vacation. I almost canceled by first Princess cruise after reading this board. I read and believed opinions and hearsays posted as facts. Now I try to use others actul experience as a guideline, still knowing mine could be different. Of the real horrible things posted here I have experienced none. Of the super good posted here I have experienced few. In 2 cruises I have not gotten the over the top service and food. However I haven't experienced the long wait for AT. Based on my actual experience Princess stay on my list but depends on my mood won't always be my first choice.

What I meant was that from evening to evening you can't switch dining rooms. I've seen people try it before and they were told to go to their designated dining room.

Looked at your pictures of Ocho Rios and reminds me of our time in Grand Turk with the swimming pool at Marguerteville. What a great time! We're going to Jamica in April. We have been to Montego Bay and loved it!

Chris

I suspect Princess and TAs push anytime. Those of us who prefer tradtional must stand firm on this one.

We have been cruising for 30+ years, so far, we have not accepted anytime and don't intend too.

Glad it is offered for those who want it and still feel we will cruise on lines that provide both. :)

I suspect Princess and TAs push anytime. Those of us who prefer tradtional must stand firm on this one.

We have been cruising for 30+ years, so far, we have not accepted anytime and don't intend too.

Glad it is offered for those who want it and still feel we will cruise on lines that provide both. :)

I understand that you really enjoy the TD & would hate to lose out on the experience but IF they sat you in Anytime dining at the same time as traditional & with people that you wanted to sit with, having the same waiter & assistant each evening.....what would be the difference?

This will never happen. At least not on the mainstream lines. EasyCruise does it, but you know up front what you're getting into...

Hope you don't get old one day and have to use "help". It's the retired people that keep the ships cruising the seas during the fall, winter and spring. We have been on 5 different cruise lines and if I didn't know what cruise line I was with I could not tell by the age of the people. I had heard that all of the people were older on HAL and it was not true. There was a true mix of ALL ages. I enjoy all ages and hope you learn to also because "all ages" has something to give to us all. :)

Chris

Not to worry about who's keeping the ships afloat. We're doing more than our share.

And I'm not exactly a spring chicken either. Just don't care for pushy people who think that just because they use a mobility device means that it's also a weapon.

I understand that you really enjoy the TD & would hate to lose out on the experience but IF they sat you in Anytime dining at the same time as traditional & with people that you wanted to sit with, having the same waiter & assistant each evening.....what would be the difference?

They would absolutely, positively, Scouts Honor, have to guarantee that the table, with the same wait staff, same table mates would be ready when I entered the room for it to work for me.....it ain't gonna happen!!!!

Not sure why people say you can't switch back but I know on the Sapphire Princess we could. We informed our waitress the day before that we would have a late excursion and she advised us to eat at open seating that day. We advised them that we had missed our traditional seating and they asked our room number and sat us down with no issue. Everyone knew and it was not a problem and we were back at traditional the very next day.

Not sure why people say you can't switch back but I know on the Sapphire Princess we could. We informed our waitress the day before that we would have a late excursion and she advised us to eat at open seating that day. We advised them that we had missed our traditional seating and they asked our room number and sat us down with no issue. Everyone knew and it was not a problem and we were back at traditional the very next day.

This is what really irks me....

I couldn't just show up in TD and take your table because it was more convenient.. (wait for AT, etc..)

I can only hope that there were not other AD passengers showing up and waiting with pagers while you dined....

I really and truly wish that Princess and other cruise lines would FOLLOW THEIR OWN GUIDELINES... Rules say you either sign up for traditional and dine at this specific time, or there are always other venues like the buffets and room service.... who cares... break the rules.... "no problem" :rolleyes:... Rules say no kids in these hot tubs... They are completely overrun... who cares... "NO problem" :rolleyes:.... The only problem with people who insist that they are above the rules/guidelines is that it is a MAJOR inconvenience to everybody else... The cruise lines are just too darned afraid to offend anyone by actually asking that rules/guildelines be followed... (And too many very nearsighted passengers know this, ad seem to automatically take advantage) IMHO... that is a problem.

This is what really irks me....

I couldn't just show up in TD and take your table because it was more convenient.. (wait for AT, etc..)

I can only hope that there were not other AD passengers showing up and waiting with pagers while you dined....

I really and truly wish that Princess and other cruise lines would FOLLOW THEIR OWN GUIDELINES... Rules say you either sign up for traditional and dine at this specific time, or there are always other venues like the buffets and room service.... who cares... break the rules.... "no problem" :rolleyes:... Rules say no kids in these hot tubs... They are completely overrun... who cares... "NO problem" :rolleyes:.... The only problem with people who insist that they are above the rules/guidelines is that it is a MAJOR inconvenience to everybody else... The cruise lines are just too darned afraid to offend anyone by actually asking that rules/guildelines be followed... (And too many very nearsighted passengers know this, ad seem to automatically take advantage) IMHO... that is a problem.

Well glad you don't make the rules!!! I followed Princess rules and they allowed me to do this, in fact encouraged me to do so.:cool:

Archived