Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I haven't been on these river cruises but have seen them and the Carrie B looks much nicer. The location is ideal for a stroll and then dining on Las Olas Blvd. I'm not sure there is an area where taxis line up, but I would try either the Riverside Hotel or ask your restaurant to call a taxi. Cab fare will be around $25-30 each way.

You know women can change their minds;) Can you tell anything about how nice the Riverside Hotel is and is it a safe area for us 2 women (baby boomers) to walk around alone.

Also how far of a walk would it be to Carrie B cruise tour (I believe it's on New River Road) and maybe a store that would have soda's and shopping on the Las Olas Blvd. We are thinking since it's $20 to $30 for taxi to & from our hotel to Carrie B, that we might just change to the Riverside Hotel so that we would be in walking distance of everything.

So sorry to bother you again with yet another question.

You are a very nice and sweet person to take you time to tell us all information about Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks so much,

Marcy:)

You know women can change their minds;) Can you tell anything about how nice the Riverside Hotel is and is it a safe area for us 2 women (baby boomers) to walk around alone.

Also how far of a walk would it be to Carrie B cruise tour (I believe it's on New River Road) and maybe a store that would have soda's and shopping on the Las Olas Blvd. We are thinking since it's $20 to $30 for taxi to & from our hotel to Carrie B, that we might just change to the Riverside Hotel so that we would be in walking distance of everything.

So sorry to bother you again with yet another question.

You are a very nice and sweet person to take you time to tell us all information about Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks so much,

Marcy:)

Riverside Hotel is a historic hotel in a very safe upscale area. The Carrie B leaves from about a block away. There is a CVS about 2 blocks away on N. Federal Hwy that sells soda, wine, etc. (I would suggest walking there while it is daylight). The hotel is very nice, but some rooms are much more updated than others, so you should ask about that when you book.

Riverside Hotel is a historic hotel in a very safe upscale area. The Carrie B leaves from about a block away. There is a CVS about 2 blocks away on N. Federal Hwy that sells soda, wine, etc. (I would suggest walking there while it is daylight). The hotel is very nice, but some rooms are much more updated than others, so you should ask about that when you book.

royalcruz again thank you so much.

This maybe a crazy question for you but, how long are the blocks on the Las Olas Blvd., and the shopping area is it near or several blocks from the Riverside Hotel.

Some cities we have been to the blocks can be very long or very short.

Thanks again,

Marcy

Hi quick question when you are available... We are a Family of 5. Flying in for a Carnival Cruise on the Freedom. Cruise is October 9-17. I got a great price on the Diplomat so we are staying the one night pre-cruise. Because of our family size. I am wondering if a taxi will work from FLL to The Diplomat? Or if you have a better suggestion. Finally, our flight after the cruise is from MCO. Do you suggest SAS or someone else. Thanks in advance!

royalcruz again thank you so much.

This maybe a crazy question for you but, how long are the blocks on the Las Olas Blvd., and the shopping area is it near or several blocks from the Riverside Hotel.

Some cities we have been to the blocks can be very long or very short.

Thanks again,

Marcy

The Riverside Hotel is at the west end (or beginning) of the boutique shopping area. The blocks are full blocks. There is less than a mile of shopping. There are restaurants both east and west of the hotel for a total mile. Everything is on one street.

Edited by royalcruz

Hi quick question when you are available... We are a Family of 5. Flying in for a Carnival Cruise on the Freedom. Cruise is October 9-17. I got a great price on the Diplomat so we are staying the one night pre-cruise. Because of our family size. I am wondering if a taxi will work from FLL to The Diplomat? Or if you have a better suggestion. Finally, our flight after the cruise is from MCO. Do you suggest SAS or someone else. Thanks in advance!

A taxi may not hold your family with luggage. You could try SAS or Supershuttle. You are flying out of MCO in Orlando? That is 3 hours north of Fort Lauderdale, and I doubt that SAS does that trip. You could rent a minivan.

we will be flying in to orlando and our cruise departs from port carnavel....we are a party of 5. Suggestions?

Our concerns are getting to & from airport, pier, hotel etc.

should we stay in orlando area, or closer to the port shuttle or rely on Taxi?

We are trying to be budget friendly.

Thanks in advance.

you have posted this on the Ft LAUDERDALE Q&A thread...there is one called I WORK IN PORT CANAVERAL that would be better for you!

Where would you recommend if we're looking to be literally next to or just across the street from a chain, family-friendly, standard American fare restaurant AND next to/across from/less than a block fromf a Publix/Kmart/CVS?

Thanks so much!

Where would you recommend if we're looking to be literally next to or just across the street from a chain, family-friendly, standard American fare restaurant AND next to/across from/less than a block fromf a Publix/Kmart/CVS?

Thanks so much!

That's easy...Embassy Suites on SE 17th St. is at the entrance to the Harbor Shops where there is a Publix and Duffy's Sports Grill.

http://www.duffyssportsgrill.com/menu.html There is also a Chuck's Steakhouse (casual steaks and salad bar) across the street, but I prefer Duffys'. Also within a couple of blocks is Hyatt Place north, Holiday Inn Express Convention Center and Extended Stay. This is all within blocks of Port Everglades north entrance, and 2 miles from the airport.

We switched from Embassy Suites to a deal on Hotwire, as mentioned above, Thankyou!!! Saved lots of $$$. Now at Summerfield Suites Airport South. Never been in this area before. Will not have a car and so, need to know if there is anywhere really close for dinner. Even a fast food place will do. Any info on the hotel? Seems to be new and not many reviews found. It was just too great a deal to pass by-$72 total 1 night. Thanks for any help you can give us.

Melody

We switched from Embassy Suites to a deal on Hotwire, as mentioned above, Thankyou!!! Saved lots of $$$. Now at Summerfield Suites Airport South. Never been in this area before. Will not have a car and so, need to know if there is anywhere really close for dinner. Even a fast food place will do. Any info on the hotel? Seems to be new and not many reviews found. It was just too great a deal to pass by-$72 total 1 night. Thanks for any help you can give us.

Melody

You are across the street (Stirling Rd) from Oakwood Plaza:

McDonald's, Taco Bell, Moonlight Diner, Wendy's. The other side of the plaza (half mile walk towards Sheridan St) has TGIF, Hollywood Ale House (my recommendation), Sweet Tomatoes, Red Lobster. There are a couple of sub shops somewhere in the plaza also, and you can get specialty coffees at Barnes & Noble and misc stuff at Big Lots & Kmart.

A taxi may not hold your family with luggage. You could try SAS or Supershuttle. You are flying out of MCO in Orlando? That is 3 hours north of Fort Lauderdale, and I doubt that SAS does that trip. You could rent a minivan.

Sorry, I meant MIA. So I am thinking Sas might be the best choice, Thanks!

The Riverside Hotel is at the west end (or beginning) of the boutique shopping area. The blocks are full blocks. There is less than a mile of shopping. There are restaurants both east and west of the hotel for a total mile. Everything is on one street.

My 9 YO daughter and I are staying at the Riverside Hotel the night before a Aug 29th cruise on the Emerald Princess. Got it for $65 on Priceline, which seems like a good deal--if it's not just let me remain blissfully ignorant.

What restaurants would you suggest within walking distance or off of the water taxi (which I am thinking of doing). Looking for one that is reasonably priced and would appeal to a kid.

You are across the street (Stirling Rd) from Oakwood Plaza:

McDonald's, Taco Bell, Moonlight Diner, Wendy's. The other side of the plaza (half mile walk towards Sheridan St) has TGIF, Hollywood Ale House (my recommendation), Sweet Tomatoes, Red Lobster. There are a couple of sub shops somewhere in the plaza also, and you can get specialty coffees at Barnes & Noble and misc stuff at Big Lots & Kmart.

Royal, This is right near Cambria Suites also, correct?

JoAnn

We will be staying at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel in April. I've been trying to see if there is a CVS/Walgreens/Grocery store located within walking distance of this hotel. We will be arriving a couple of days before the cruise so we'd like to be able to p/u a case or two of soda.

We're also looking for restaurant recommendations. I see that Bahia Cabana is close by, are there any other restaurants within walking distance?

I am looking for a hotel in Fort Lauderdale to stay 3 nights prior to our cruise departure. Price really isn't all that of a concern but what we were looking for is something close to the beach and to the actual "strip". We did look at the Pier 66 Hyatt but that hotel looks like it is on the intercoastal. Last vacation we were really "budget concious," but this vacation we just want to be pampered. I convinced my significant other away form the Oasis so I saved 800 and willing to spend on something else. Thanks in advance.:D

My 9 YO daughter and I are staying at the Riverside Hotel the night before a Aug 29th cruise on the Emerald Princess. Got it for $65 on Priceline, which seems like a good deal--if it's not just let me remain blissfully ignorant.

What restaurants would you suggest within walking distance or off of the water taxi (which I am thinking of doing). Looking for one that is reasonably priced and would appeal to a kid.

Your best bet with your daughter is probably Cheesecake Factory, which is on the same property as the Riverside Hotel. Shooters is on the water taxi route and has a nice relaxing waterfront view and casual menu, but the food is better at Cheesecake.

We will be staying at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel in April. I've been trying to see if there is a CVS/Walgreens/Grocery store located within walking distance of this hotel. We will be arriving a couple of days before the cruise so we'd like to be able to p/u a case or two of soda.

We're also looking for restaurant recommendations. I see that Bahia Cabana is close by, are there any other restaurants within walking distance?

There is a CVS at Beach Place, just under a mile walk. Bahia Cabana is probably the closest restaurant. 3030 at Marriott Harbor Beach is great if you want critically acclaimed upscale dining and Coconuts is perfect if you want waterfont casual dining. Both are within walking distance.

I am looking for a hotel in Fort Lauderdale to stay 3 nights prior to our cruise departure. Price really isn't all that of a concern but what we were looking for is something close to the beach and to the actual "strip". We did look at the Pier 66 Hyatt but that hotel looks like it is on the intercoastal. Last vacation we were really "budget concious," but this vacation we just want to be pampered. I convinced my significant other away form the Oasis so I saved 800 and willing to spend on something else. Thanks in advance.:D

It sounds like you want to be on or at the beach and to be able to walk to the strip. The Pier 66 is nice but will not meet that criteria. It is on the water taxi route, though, which will take you to the beach strip area. Here are some good choices from south to north:

Sheraton (a little further walk, but recently remodeled and reopened, the only one on the beach and walking distance to strip)

All of these are right across the street from the beach, which has no buildings:

Bahia Mar (basic 3 star, best value hotel at the beach)

Courtyard Marriott

Marriott Beach Place (right in the middle of everything)

Ritz Carlton (most elegant, but quiet like a library)

Westin (completed remodeled and reopened this year)

W (very nice and very hip, newest, just one year old)

Hilton

Atlantic (a little further walk but really nice)

There is a CVS at Beach Place, just under a mile walk. Bahia Cabana is probably the closest restaurant. 3030 at Marriott Harbor Beach is great if you want critically acclaimed upscale dining and Coconuts is perfect if you want waterfont casual dining. Both are within walking distance.

Thank you. We stayed at the Westin Beach Resort last October and walked from that CVS to our hotel. I know we are in the opposite direction and just wasn't sure if there was one closer. I'll check out Coconuts too. We ate at Casablanca Cafe last time and enjoyed our meal out on the patio overlooking the water.

royalcruz

you have been busy tonight!! Allow me to buy you a virtual drink;)

have a great holiday weekend, thanks for all your help and insights, and keep up the good work--we all appreciate it!!

mary lynn