Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi, I wonder if you could help me. We arrive in Fort Lauderdale by ship at 7am and fly home from Miami airport at 21.35. Jan 6th 2011. Our cruise ship offers a tour of the Everglades, with transfer to Miami airport, which we would like to do, but pick up is at 8.30am and it only lasts 4 and a half hours so would be at the airport way too early. Does anyone know of any tour firm who would take us out for longer and deposit us at the airport, or, would we be better renting a car for the day picking it up at FL dock and leaving it at Miami Airport. Is this possible, if so, which rental company? Any info greatly appreciated.

Cost wise a car rental may be better. Consider using Priceline and book a hotel near the airport. Use the facilities and take a nap.

Have posted this on a separate thread but no takers, sooooo, does anyone know if water taxi is seasonal? We have enjoyed it before but never this late in April. Web site has 2009 info. Called and was told they don't have a clue for 2011 yet. Trying to choose a hotel and wonder if water taxi stop is going to be of any good? Thanks for any help.

Melody

The water taxi operates year-round.

Royalcruz,

We are staying at the Hyatt Pl N before our cruise. We have two rental cars and are trying to decide if we should return them Sunday night for our Monday cruise, or to return them Monday morning.

If we return them Sunday night, we would like to have a shuttle (not the hotel shuttle) for 7 people pick us up on Monday morning. Do you know any shuttles that are reasonably priced? Or, if we need to rent cabs, about what is the cost? Is the cost based on number of people in it or by distance?

Do you have any suggestions for us? We are arriving in Fort Lauderdale next weekend. Thanks,.

SAS is the most popular shuttle for cruisers. They charge per person and offer discounts for large parties. Taxis charge per taxi. I'm not sure how taxi-vans charge or how easy they are to get.

The recurring complaint that I have read about the Hyatt is that the air conditioners are noisy. Seeing as DW and I are taking our cruise in December I don't think the AC will be much of and issue as we will most likely sleep with the window/slider open.

We stayed there last Dec. and I do have a vague memory that the air conditioner was noisy, but not enough that I remembered it without this post.

However, it was VERY hot while we were there (early December) with record highs in the nineties, so be prepared; you never know what the weather will be like. I do realize this was an exception, but, we did need the air conditioner at night.

Other than that, it was a good choice for a pre-cruise hotel.

We are staying at the Hampton Inn on Stirling pre cruise because of price and perks. Just wondering how far it is to the beach ? We still need a post cruise hotel and thought with a car rental we could stay here again and drive to the beach etc. if needed because the price is so good.

Any ideas on good priced Ft Lauderdale beach hotels around March 6th time line ?

Hey RoyalCruz!!

Booked a night at La Quinta at FLL Airport, but after reading more reviews am afraid I made the wrong choice:confused: Cruising the next day from Port Everglades.

I was looking for a clean hotel, with breakfast, free airport/port shuttles and restaurants within walking distance... we wont be getting into FLL until around 4-5pm after very long flights which land in MIA.

Do you think I could make a better choice? Thanks for any advice

Edited by odettemcf

Hi Royal:

Question for you--

We will be in FLL Oct. 29th and 30th before our cruise out of Miami. We are staying at the Courtyard FLL Beach. Wanted to try Primanti Bros. for lunch one day. Is that walkable from the hotel, or is that too far?

It's just under 1.5 miles.

We are staying at the Hampton Inn on Stirling pre cruise because of price and perks. Just wondering how far it is to the beach ? We still need a post cruise hotel and thought with a car rental we could stay here again and drive to the beach etc. if needed because the price is so good.

Any ideas on good priced Ft Lauderdale beach hotels around March 6th time line ?

It is a few miles to the beach. March brings the highest prices of the year. Lowest prices at the beach tend to be at Bahia Mar and Best Western Oceanside. They are reasonable walking distance to restaurants and bars. There are a few small inns a block from the beach that get decent reviews...Trip Advisor has more info. about them.

royalcruz, Question on what to do on b2b cruise. Is their a market or mall close by on turn around day in FLL??? WAVTAM

The closest mall is Galleria. It would be about a $20-25 cab ride each way. If your ship is docked at the first few piers, you can walk to 17th St and take public bus 40 to the mall (do not cross 17th St or you will be getting the bus in the wrong direction).

Hey RoyalCruz!!

Booked a night at La Quinta at FLL Airport, but after reading more reviews am afraid I made the wrong choice:confused: Cruising the next day from Port Everglades.

I was looking for a clean hotel, with breakfast, free airport/port shuttles and restaurants within walking distance... we wont be getting into FLL until around 4-5pm after very long flights which land in MIA.

Do you think I could make a better choice? Thanks for any advice

I haven't stayed in the local hotels so I can only go by reviews and what I know about the neighborhoods. LaQuinta is probably fine, but you might want to check out Sleep Inn in Dania or Hampton Inn or Comfort Inn on Stirling Rd, which may be in the same price range and offer what you want. You might get a good price on Hyatt Place north on valuetrips. I'm assuming that you aren't looking for a free shuttle from MIA to a Ft Laud hotel, as that is hard to find. I think someone mentioned that there is one hotel that offered it for a reasonable fee, so if you do a search you might find it.

We are booed at the Embassy Suites pre-cruise for January. Any pros/cons that I should be aware of ......................should I choose a different hotel?

Thanks for any advice.

DJ

It is in a great location. I would be very happy with this hotel. If you are picky, look on tripadvisor, as not all of the reviews are great.

We are flying into FLL on Jan 8th for a Jan 9th cruise out of Miami. How long of a drive will it be? How much will a taxi be, or would it be better to look at other options?

It is about a 40 minute ride if there are no traffic issues. Taxi costs about $75-100. SAS offers affordable shuttles for this route and need to be booked in advance.

It is about a 40 minute ride if there are no traffic issues. Taxi costs about $75-100. SAS offers affordable shuttles for this route and need to be booked in advance.

We need transportation from Port Everglades to Port of Miami. I have two quotes from limo services that are about $100. If taxis are $75-100, should we just grab a taxi instead? What would you do? Thanks for all your help!

We need transportation from Port Everglades to Port of Miami. I have two quotes from limo services that are about $100. If taxis are $75-100, should we just grab a taxi instead? What would you do? Thanks for all your help!

If it is a real limo or even a town car for $100 I would take it. If it is a shuttle/van, I would just grab a taxi, for convenience sake.

We used a limeo service several years ago, which worked out great. It was about $100 total with tip. (It may be more now.)

How many of you are there? We had seven people, including three small children, and all our luggage, so this was easier and more cost effective than two taxis. Plus, the kids loved it!