Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Have you ever heard of or used Avanti Limo Service?

We have reservations with them to pick us up from FLL, take us to our hotel (Embassy Suites), then the next day take us to port and then bring us back to FLL after our cruise.

Just curious if anyone has used them.

Hello,

I have a few questions about cruising from out of FLL.

1. I am thinking of booking either Sheraton Beach Resort or Westin Beach resort for the night before our cruise. Does either of these places have restaurants close by if we don't have a rental car?

2. I am hoping to avoid renting a car and just taking a cab from the FLL airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to port in the morning. It looks like everything is close together so it should be easy enough to do this, right?

3. After our cruise we need to rent a car to head to Orlando. What rental car places are closest to the port and what is the name of the location I use? I tried looking for Fort Lauderdale but wasn't sure what the correct location was near port. Also looking for one that has a shuttle to the car rental place.

Thanks so much!

1. yes to both hotels, in fact both even have their own restaurants if you don't feel like going for a little walk. Across the street from Sheraton is Bahia Mar (extremely casual), and a few blocks south of Westin is Casablanca Cafe. Those are very good choices.

2. yes, very easy and lots of cabs in the area waiting for passengers

3. I'm not sure which ones have shuttles but some do. Most of the major companies have facilities on SE 17th St or on S. Federal Hwy near Port Everglades.

I just registered today and am overwhelmed by the amount of info. Any thoughts on which would be better for a pre-cruise stay in Dania Beach: Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt House South or Hyatt Place?

They are all in the same basic location. Check Tripadvisor reviews.

I've read through many pages and can't seem to find the information... sorry if it's a question that has been answered :)

We(4 of us) arrive from our cruise in FLL port on a Saturday and our flight is scheduled for 5:30 pm. We would hate to just sit at the airport for hours.. What would you recommend and also where do we leave our luggage??

Thanks...

A Take an excursion that leaves you off at the airport with your luggage.

B Rent a car and leave the luggage in the trunk. Tour Fort Lauderdale by land (Las Olas Blvd, beach, Riverwalk).

C Send your luggage to the airport by ship service and take a taxi to the water taxi at Hilton Marina and do the round trip loop (starts around 10:15 AM). The driver will give you an entertaining tour and they expect a tip. Walk from there to Bimini Boatyard for lunch when the water taxi returns. Cab to airport after lunch.

They are all in the same basic location. Check Tripadvisor reviews.

Thanks, RoyalCruz. I had checked Trip Advisor before posting and that's why I am confused. I tabulated the number of POOR and TERRIBLE comments and the 2 Hyatts came close to each other and ranked better than the Hilton in that regard. Can you think of any tie-breaker between these sites? Thx in advance.

Thanks, RoyalCruz. I had checked Trip Advisor before posting and that's why I am confused. I tabulated the number of POOR and TERRIBLE comments and the 2 Hyatts came close to each other and ranked better than the Hilton in that regard. Can you think of any tie-breaker between these sites? Thx in advance.

Sorry, I've never been inside of any of the hotels in that area. Hyatt Place is the newest and Hyatt House was Summerfield Suites until a few months ago. They both get mostly very good reviews so why not just make a decision based on cost and whether they provide breakfast/shuttles?

We have been to both Hyatt Place 17th Convention Center and Hyatt Place Ft Lauderdale Cruise Port, Dania (newer of the two). They both have continental breakfast, paid shuttle to the port and layout of the rooms the same. I found that the Hyatt Place 17th Convention Center was more convenient to many different types of restaurants, grocery store, drug store. The Dania hotel, you had to walk further to a small shopping plaza with a liquor store, drug store and a couple fast food places. The Hyatt Place 17th Convention Center was close to the water taxi, and trolley if you were staying for a day. The Hyatt Place, Dania had nothing around, good if you just staying the night.

We've stayed at both Hyatt Places, and I agree that the North location has better shopping and restaurants nearby--just across a small street and a parking lot. The South location has a small shopping area across a major, busy road.

Otherwise, they are almost alike, and fine for an overnight before a cruise. Shuttles used to be free but now are for a price.

Ocalaron wasn't asking about Hyatt Place north at all. Now they are really confused, LOL!:D

The choices were these 3 hotels in Dania Beach: Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt House South or Hyatt Place.

Ocalaron, Don't book Hyatt Place north without checking prices on valuetrips.

Edited by royalcruz

Have you ever heard of or used Avanti Limo Service?

We have reservations with them to pick us up from FLL, take us to our hotel (Embassy Suites), then the next day take us to port and then bring us back to FLL after our cruise.

Just curious if anyone has used them.

We haven't used Avanti, but we do use Fort Lauderdale Limo Service:

http://www.fortlauderdalelimoservice.com/

I'm actually getting ready to book them again for next April. The thing I like best---you don't have to pay up front! I've read too many horror stories from people who had to pay up front. We are not comfortable for paying for something like this up front in the event something goes wrong.

Our driver waits on us at baggage claim with an IPAD with our name.......very cool and modern. He also stopped by the store for us so we could grab some drinks for the hotel that night.

We are not fans of taxis anyway, but after a terrible taxi experience last year in FLL, we will NOT do another taxi there again!

I am having a hard time deciding on whether to stay at one of the airport hotels that has a shuttle and free breakfast or to spend a litte extra on a hotel right on the beach.

I know that the airport hotels will be a little easier and cheaper, but I am willing to spend a little more to stay at the beach if the beach is worth seeing.

Can someone give me an honest opinion on this? Here is my dilemma- We have only been to Orlando, FL. Never to any beaches on Fl. We live right on Long Island Sound in CT, which is nice but certainly nothing like beaches in FL.

I have delevoped quite an addition to traveling lately and even suggested a beach trip to FL this summer (we usually do Disney, which DH hates) but not knowing how the beaches were DH said no. I am willing to splurge a bit on a beach hotel if the beaches are pretty enough to say, Sure- I'd be willling to spend a few vacation days here so that I can convince DH to come back one day.

What do the experts think? Is the beach worth it in this case?

I am having a hard time deciding on whether to stay at one of the airport hotels that has a shuttle and free breakfast or to spend a litte extra on a hotel right on the beach.

I know that the airport hotels will be a little easier and cheaper, but I am willing to spend a little more to stay at the beach if the beach is worth seeing.

Can someone give me an honest opinion on this? Here is my dilemma- We have only been to Orlando, FL. Never to any beaches on Fl. We live right on Long Island Sound in CT, which is nice but certainly nothing like beaches in FL.

I have delevoped quite an addition to traveling lately and even suggested a beach trip to FL this summer (we usually do Disney, which DH hates) but not knowing how the beaches were DH said no. I am willing to splurge a bit on a beach hotel if the beaches are pretty enough to say, Sure- I'd be willling to spend a few vacation days here so that I can convince DH to come back one day.

What do the experts think? Is the beach worth it in this case?

Hi,:) you going to have some time to walk/visit the beach then?

If so, I would definitely prefer a beach hotel.....wake up, look out

over the horizon.....walk along the beach........

So your husband already said no?:eek::confused: not sure I get that? But

then again I don't have one LOL

You said you want honest opinions.......hopefully that is what most

people give;).

And yes, FLL beach is very nice:)

Hi,:) you going to have some time to walk/visit the beach then?

If so, I would definitely prefer a beach hotel.....wake up, look out

over the horizon.....walk along the beach........

So your husband already said no?:eek::confused: not sure I get that? But

then again I don't have one LOL

You said you want honest opinions.......hopefully that is what most

people give;).

And yes, FLL beach is very nice:)

Thanks for the reply.

We are going to be in FLL for one day before we cruise in Sept.

DH knows about the one night, but has said no to a future trip of just spending the week at the beaches in FL. I am trying to convince him that we should do a trip down to FL in April to hit the beaches and maybe drive down to Key West. I am hoping the one night stay in Sept. will convince him to come back in April. :D

Edited by mustcruise1217

The beach in Fort Lauderdale is MUCH nicer than the beach in Key West. If you are going to be spending an extra day here, the beach will be a great place to be in September and it's a fun area to be in at night.

Edited by royalcruz

Good to hear about the beaches in Ft. Lauderdale. My DH and I will be staying on the beach but being unfamiliar with the area, I have a few questions. What beach is closest to the pier, how far are most beaches from the pier, and what hotels are recommended?

Wow, I am booked at the Holiday Inn Express Airport/Cruise hotel and am going to pay 189.00 per night! I figure I can use the Priority Club Points, and they have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel.....but I would imagine that is standard. Maybe I should look into the LaQuinta and Priceline, but I am so scared of those types of sites. Suggestions? Sailing out of POM, but will pay for a shuttle such as SAS to get us there and back to FLL.

Good to hear about the beaches in Ft. Lauderdale. My DH and I will be staying on the beach but being unfamiliar with the area, I have a few questions. What beach is closest to the pier, how far are most beaches from the pier, and what hotels are recommended?

The closest beach hotels to the port are Lago Mar, then Marriott Harbor Beach, then Sheraton, but there are so many hotels within a mile or so of there. The ones past there are an easier walk to restaurants outside of the hotels. You can't reasonably walk anywhere outside of Lago Mar. The ones I didn't mention are across from the beach but not on the beach. Doubletree Bahia Mar often has the lowest rates. My personal favorites are Lago Mar, Marriott Harbor Beach, Ritz Carlton, and W, but in the winter these can be price prohibitive for many. A mom & pop hotel a half block from the beach that gets good reviews is Alhambra Beach Resort...the location to stuff is perfect there and it is priced right.

Wow, I am booked at the Holiday Inn Express Airport/Cruise hotel and am going to pay 189.00 per night! I figure I can use the Priority Club Points, and they have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel.....but I would imagine that is standard. Maybe I should look into the LaQuinta and Priceline, but I am so scared of those types of sites. Suggestions? Sailing out of POM, but will pay for a shuttle such as SAS to get us there and back to FLL.

Most of the airport area hotels have free shuttles. Check rates on Sleep Inn, LaQuinta, Days Inn south FLL, and the 2 airport area Hampton Inns, as these usually have great rates. Also look for low rates on Valuetrips for Hyatt Place FLL north.

You really can't go wrong with a Priceline bid for a downtown zone hotel in Ft Lauderdale. You probably won't get a free airport shuttle though, so allow $15-25 for that (Riverside Hotel is the furthest in that zone so could cost $25 with tip).

We haven't used Avanti, but we do use Fort Lauderdale Limo Service:

http://www.fortlauderdalelimoservice.com/

I'm actually getting ready to book them again for next April. The thing I like best---you don't have to pay up front! I've read too many horror stories from people who had to pay up front. We are not comfortable for paying for something like this up front in the event something goes wrong.

Our driver waits on us at baggage claim with an IPAD with our name.......very cool and modern. He also stopped by the store for us so we could grab some drinks for the hotel that night.

We are not fans of taxis anyway, but after a terrible taxi experience last year in FLL, we will NOT do another taxi there again!

Thank you for this information! I have been looking for limo service that has good reviews and I am having a hard time finding some with reviews at all. I will look into this.

I'm overwhelmed at the moment. We are going on the Island Princess Panama Canal sailing November 12. We are flying in the day before. What hotel is closest to the pier and with a shuttle. What about the Comfort Inn, is that close to the pier - a friend recommended it? Thanks for your help.

P.S. First time for us sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale.

The Florida Power and Light plant located here attracts manatees in cold weather to its warm-water discharge. Florida Power provides an observation platform for viewing the mammals.

To get there from I-95 in Fort Lauderdale, take the S.R. 84 (SW 24th Street) exit and head east. Upon reaching the port itself, turn right at the water and proceed to the designated parking area.

Is this viewing area still there? This post was from 2009, but the only other information I was able to find says that the viewing area closed in the early 90s.

I'm overwhelmed at the moment. We are going on the Island Princess Panama Canal sailing November 12. We are flying in the day before. What hotel is closest to the pier and with a shuttle. What about the Comfort Inn, is that close to the pier - a friend recommended it? Thanks for your help.

P.S. First time for us sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale.

There are several Comfort Inns in the Fort Lauderdale area. The closest one to the port is at 1800 S. Federal Hwy, less than a mile from the port entrance. It used to get very mixed reviews but lately most of the Trip Advisor reviews have been very good. They have a free airport shuttle, free breakfast, and very reasonably priced shuttle to port and area restaurants. You can walk to restaurants and grocery/drug/wine stores from there.

Am arriving in FtL for cruise out of Miami in Nov. - staying at Hilton Ft.L Airport on Griffin Rd. All info I have read says there are no places to eat nearby - nor is the hotel restaurant open. Hope this is not correct as I will be dropped off without a car at check-in time. Any suggestions for dinner/breakfast? Seems strange on an I95 exit there is not even a McDonalds or BurgerKing!