Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi, just looking to book a nice beach hotel, to stay 2 or 3 nights before our cruise, November 2014, we were looking at Ocean B, is it near to a walmart or big shops, can you see the cruise ships coming in an going out of the port from here ??? Thanks x:)

The last two times, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on SR 84. It was clean, staff was great, it's accross from the grocery, breakfast and shuttle from the airport was included.

The price is quite a bit more than usual for our cruise next March. Any feedback on the Holiday Inn on Sheridan St? It's about half as much so I would be good with losing breakfast. Any other feedback and why this hotel is so much less?

There isn't anything around the Holiday Inn on Sheridan St. and it is much further from the port.

Edited by royalcruz

Hi, just looking to book a nice beach hotel, to stay 2 or 3 nights before our cruise, November 2014, we were looking at Ocean B, is it near to a walmart or big shops, can you see the cruise ships coming in an going out of the port from here ??? Thanks x:)

There is no Walmart in Fort Lauderdale. B Ocean is about 6 blocks walk to Galleria Mall, CVS, and Publix grocery. You'll be able to see cruise ships going out to the ocean there but in the distance (2-3 miles away).

Thank you, Lois for your response. 3 to 3.5 hours drive is not that bad, especially if it is an easy drive on a scenic road. We will just consider part of sight-seeing. So excited about our coming trip - first time to Florida!

Hi Ellie:).....ummmm:eek:....not a scenic drive. I was talking about

I-95........straight run. There is A1A, but that would be a longer

drive but more scenic.

Thank you FionaMG. Our itinerary says Fort Lauderdale Airport so I hope it's that one, although we haven't got our tickets yet. We would have liked to do an excursion before leaving but our flight is 13.59 so it doesn't allow time. Our flight isn't direct. We change at Philadelphia. It's going to be a long journey but we can spend it thinking about our cruise.

Thank you FionaMG. Our itinerary says Fort Lauderdale Airport so I hope it's that one, although we haven't got our tickets yet. We would have liked to do an excursion before leaving but our flight is 13.59 so it doesn't allow time. Our flight isn't direct. We change at Philadelphia. It's going to be a long journey but we can spend it thinking about our cruise.

If it says Fort Lauderdale Airport then it will be the one close to the port, so you'll be just fine with the taxi like the other posters mentioned. You can bear the post-cruise excursion in mind for your next cruise! Because for sure after this one you'll want to do another! :D

Have a great time.

Hi Ellie:).....ummmm:eek:....not a scenic drive. I was talking about

I-95........straight run. There is A1A, but that would be a longer

drive but more scenic.

Thanks again, Lois. Got it, Straight run through I-95 would be fine. Depending on the situation, we might take the scenic route (A1A) driving up from Fort Lauderdale to Cape Canaveral since it be during day time on Saturday. However, would definitely take the I-95 driving back to Fort Lauderdale after we are done touring the entire day at Kennedy Space Center on Sunday, as we will be traveling in the evening.

Edited by ELLIETAM

Thanks again, Lois. Got it, Straight run through I-95 would be fine. Depending on the situation, we might take the scenic route (A1A) driving up from Fort Lauderdale to Cape Canaveral since it be during day time on Saturday. However, would definitely take the I-95 driving back to Fort Lauderdale after we are done touring the entire day at Kennedy Space Center on Sunday, as we will be traveling in the evening.

Please realize that the speed limit on A1A (30 - 35 mph in Broward and Palm Beach Counties; don't know about further north) is less than half that of I-95 (usually 70 which means most folks go 80 :D) and there are stop lights on A1A. I don't mean to dissuade you - I love the drive from Hillsboro Beach in northern Broward to Palm Beach (haven't gone further north on A1A) with the beautiful houses and frequent sightings of the ocean - but the entire route on A1A would take hours longer; maybe just do a section of A1A?

Hi all, cruise is almost here and I think all plans are made except dinner the night before. There are 8 of us staying at the Cambria Suites in Dania Beach. I really like Southport Raw Bar but its a bit farther then I would want to take in a taxi. We plan to got to Hard Rock the night before so may end up having dinner at Tequila Ranch or Bongo's. Does anyone have any info about either place? Would also be interested in a locals seafood restaurant nearby if anyone has one to suggest.

I did see a place called Tarks is fairly close is this good?Thanks!!

Edited by gracie65

Please realize that the speed limit on A1A (30 - 35 mph in Broward and Palm Beach Counties; don't know about further north) is less than half that of I-95 (usually 70 which means most folks go 80 :D) and there are stop lights on A1A. I don't mean to dissuade you - I love the drive from Hillsboro Beach in northern Broward to Palm Beach (haven't gone further north on A1A) with the beautiful houses and frequent sightings of the ocean - but the entire route on A1A would take hours longer; maybe just do a section of A1A?

Thank you, Capriccio for letting me about the speed limit of 35 mph on A1A. Yikes! It might takes us forever to get up to Port Canaveral area! I will just stick to I-95 for both ways.

Hi all, cruise is almost here and I think all plans are made except dinner the night before. There are 8 of us staying at the Cambria Suites in Dania Beach. I really like Southport Raw Bar but its a bit farther then I would want to take in a taxi. We plan to got to Hard Rock the night before so may end up having dinner at Tequila Ranch or Bongo's. Does anyone have any info about either place? Would also be interested in a locals seafood restaurant nearby if anyone has one to suggest.

I did see a place called Tarks is fairly close is this good?Thanks!!

Tarks is about 2 miles from Cambria Suites. Rustic Inn would be the most popular seafood restaurant near the hotel, about 2 miles away.

Thank you, Capriccio for letting me about the speed limit of 35 mph on A1A. Yikes! It might takes us forever to get up to Port Canaveral area! I will just stick to I-95 for both ways.

That sounds like a better idea.......you know, once you reach Deerfield

(or around there) you could get off 95 and go East and pick up A1A for

the last 1/2 hour-45 minutes or so.......;)

Tarks is about 2 miles from Cambria Suites. Rustic Inn would be the most popular seafood restaurant near the hotel, about 2 miles away.

Thanks are both of these places good? We live in Coastal, SC so used to good seafood. I saw Tarks isn't a buffet how about Rustic Inn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks are both of these places good? We live in Coastal, SC so used to good seafood. I saw Tarks isn't a buffet how about Rustic Inn?

Hi:) Rustic Inn has been in business for......omg...I lived in Miami back

in the 80s and it was there then:eek:......it is a staple........not sure if

it has changed but I remember eating there......very casual. Actually,

if memory serves, the tables had newspaper on them because you

crack open the crabs yourself and it can get quite messy;)

Ok need some help... booked at crowne plaza airport/cruiseport and holiday inn cruiseport.... which one do you think is closer to cruiseport..or has restaurants and shops close by as we won't have a car... We leave in a day so need to cancel one reservation by tomorrow....HELP....

Ok need some help... booked at crowne plaza airport/cruiseport and holiday inn cruiseport.... which one do you think is closer to cruiseport..or has restaurants and shops close by as we won't have a car... We leave in a day so need to cancel one reservation by tomorrow....HELP....

No personal knowledge of either, but you can do what I do.... plug their addresses into google. Pull up the street map on google. Zoom in to the street view and cruise up and down the road to see for yourself what they have to offer! Works like a charm!

You can always read the individual hotel reviews on other websites to see if you can glean some info if you don't like my idea above! :D

Have a great time...

Amy

Crowne Plaza is closer to the port. It is a block or two from Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza and another block or so to Ernie's Barbeque. Harbor Shops is about a mile away. Holiday Inn is very close to a shopping center with Winn Dixie, Big Lots, pizza, Cuban, liquor, sports bar/grill, Subway, McDonald's, Wendy's, and Old Heidelberg German Restaurant (recommended) across the street.

I've never heard anything about Tarks. Rustic Inn is not a buffet but is particularly popular with tourists. They are famous for their garlic crabs.

Edited by royalcruz

That sounds like a better idea.......you know, once you reach Deerfield

(or around there) you could get off 95 and go East and pick up A1A for

the last 1/2 hour-45 minutes or so.......;)

THANKS AGAIN, LOIS for the wonderful suggestion!:)

I have another watertaxi question:

I was looking at the schedule and there are 2, one upbound and one downbound. My question is when the taxi reaches the last stop will it loop back to the beginning or do they make you get off and catch another one? ie: downbound starts at 10 and ends at 1A, after the 1A stop can you stay on and have it take you to stop #10 or do you have to get off and catch an upbound taxi and go through all stops 2,3 ect till 10?

The other thing is, schedule A and B, I see most weekends are A but today I noticed they are running B (sunday). Is there a way to check certain days or di they just decide that day prior to first boat?

Thank you again!

I have another watertaxi question:

I was looking at the schedule and there are 2, one upbound and one downbound. My question is when the taxi reaches the last stop will it loop back to the beginning or do they make you get off and catch another one? ie: downbound starts at 10 and ends at 1A, after the 1A stop can you stay on and have it take you to stop #10 or do you have to get off and catch an upbound taxi and go through all stops 2,3 ect till 10?

The other thing is, schedule A and B, I see most weekends are A but today I noticed they are running B (sunday). Is there a way to check certain days or di they just decide that day prior to first boat?

Thank you again!

Hi, I have taken the Water Taxi quite a few times over the years

but I can't remember if they make you get off or not.....I can tell

you they should help you with any of your questions though:)......

The drivers are usually very nice and I always enjoy riding with them.

I usually get off before the "last stop"..whether it is up north at

Shooters (Rest and bar) or on Las Olas.....then I go back to the

stop to be picked up......it usually works out well (for me anyway:))

But I am guessing someone else on here will probably be able to

give you a correct answer to your questions though;) Have a great

time:D

Edited by Lois R

I am wondering about Sleep Inn Dania Beach, basically just looking for something safe, clean and convenient to the airport and port any knowledge or info on this place? Also is there anything like a publix, walgreens etc nearby?

Thank you!!!!!

I am wondering about Sleep Inn Dania Beach, basically just looking for something safe, clean and convenient to the airport and port any knowledge or info on this place? Also is there anything like a publix, walgreens etc nearby?

Thank you!!!!!

Both stores are within spitting distance.