Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I've been looking for a month for a decent hotel for a decent price. Priceline offered the Holiday Inn 2905 Sheridan st Hollywood for $117/night on Feb 1st. I snapped up two rooms and I think I'm happy with the outcome. Can anyone tell me the area food/grocery/liquor stores? Reviews are good, 3 stars. We usually stay in the Stirling Rd area. Is Sheridan close? Thanks for all the info.

Sheridan St is the next I-95 exit south of Stirling Rd and it's about a mile away. There isn't really anything in the area other than a Denny's, but Oakwood Plaza is a short cab ride away.

Where is the best place to stay for a night (maybe 2 depending on flights) before cruise? A place that offers a shuttle from airport and to boat would be ideal, but one a short cab ride away would be fine. Something that also has places to eat nearby would be great too. Just me and the DH this time for his 40th birthday. Any suggestions would be great!

Where is the best place to stay for a night (maybe 2 depending on flights) before cruise? A place that offers a shuttle from airport and to boat would be ideal, but one a short cab ride away would be fine. Something that also has places to eat nearby would be great too. Just me and the DH this time for his 40th birthday. Any suggestions would be great!

Most cruisers say that the best place to stay is on SE 17th St. when there are many restaurants and places to buy toiletries and wine. Hyatt Place, Holiday Inn Express, and Extended Stay have free airport shuttles and it is about $10 by taxi to the port. Renaissance and Embassy Suites are nicer but don't have any free shuttles.

Reasonable price motel/hotel in Hollywood and when I mean reasonable I mean some under $100 a night. We don't need a place with all the bells and whistles, just a place to lay our head, take a shower and hit the road the next day to Miami.

Sleep Inn Dania, Cambria Suites, and Holiday Inn Express Hollywood have low rates if you prepay. You might look at Rodeway Inn Fort Lauderdale (gets very mixed reviews but it's cheap) or use Priceline to stay within your budget.

Edited by royalcruz

Thank you very much, it helps.

I know a veeeery long day, but we will do this one time in life and after this we will have a relaxing time at a 22 day cruise:D

Not sure what you are looking to do in Key West but I find the previous keys much more interesting . Key Largo , Islamorada, Marathon, Bahia Honda

We have been spending our winters in the keys last few years and depending what you want to see and do for a day I would think visiting the Everglades would be much more memorable.

In Key Largo you can visit John Pennekamp and go on kayaks through the canals, go snorkeling, take a glass bottom boat tour

just my 2 cents

http://www.fortlauderdaletours.net/?event=offer.type&productType=NATIONALPARK&mpt=11677&gclid=CP7gxN_oqrkCFcOh4AodxDMAew

http://www.evergladestours.org/?event=offer.list&p=9&gclid=CPag9f3oqrkCFUqY4Aod4kAAdA

http://www.shoretrips.com/excursion/region-fla-mia-000209/florida-midatlantic-coast/miami-fort-lauderdale-florida/key-largo-snorkel-trip-all-day-from-miami

Not sure what you are looking to do in Key West but I find the previous keys much more interesting . Key Largo , Islamorada, Marathon, Bahia Honda

We have been spending our winters in the keys last few years and depending what you want to see and do for a day I would think visiting the Everglades would be much more memorable.

In Key Largo you can visit John Pennekamp and go on kayaks through the canals, go snorkeling, take a glass bottom boat tour

just my 2 cents

http://www.fortlauderdaletours.net/?event=offer.type&productType=NATIONALPARK&mpt=11677&gclid=CP7gxN_oqrkCFcOh4AodxDMAew

http://www.evergladestours.org/?event=offer.list&p=9&gclid=CPag9f3oqrkCFUqY4Aod4kAAdA

http://www.shoretrips.com/excursion/region-fla-mia-000209/florida-midatlantic-coast/miami-fort-lauderdale-florida/key-largo-snorkel-trip-all-day-from-miami

What is your estimate of travel time on a Saturday from Islamorada to arrive at the FL cruise port at around 10:30/11 AM?

We have always wanted to drive the bridge to Keywest and explore the area. We are planning to arrive at FLL at noon (on a Thursday), rent a car, and spend two nights somewhere in the Florida Keys. Do you think Islamorada would be a good base for us? Or should be spend the nights somewhere a little closer to Miami like Key Largo or even Miami?

Thank you for your input.

What is your estimate of travel time on a Saturday from Islamorada to arrive at the FL cruise port at around 10:30/11 AM?

We have always wanted to drive the bridge to Keywest and explore the area. We are planning to arrive at FLL at noon (on a Thursday), rent a car, and spend two nights somewhere in the Florida Keys.

Do you think Islamorada would be a good base for us?

Or should be spend the nights somewhere a little closer to Miami like Key Largo or even Miami?

Thank you for your input.

It depends on what dates you are going and what events are scheduled for Key Largo or Islamorada since it's basically all one lane until you get to Key Largo. Any events will slow the traffic down considerably.

Spending 2 nights gives you more leisure time to explore so yes staying in Islamorada has a lot to explore and enjoy some great restaurants and unique shops Rain Barrel artisans ( huge lobster statue ) From Islamorada the drive would be around 1 1/2 hour to Key West. Again making sure there aren't any events in the rest of the Keys to slow you down.

I have not driven in that direction.. we come usually come from Orlando and drive straight through avoiding Miami altogether.

Even though I have stayed 2 mos in Key Largo I would just plan on stopping at John Pennekamp and maybe the Shell store. I find KL to be dirty and not as nice as the rest of the Keys

Check Calendar of Events on this site for each of the keys

http://www.fla-keys.com/gettinghere/

Edited by ISLABONITA

We will be taking a cruise out of FLL in Feb. 2013 I have been checking the air line and it is still high. I have been thinking of flying to Miami and than transfer to the cruise terminal. Can any one tell me how much it might coast? We can NOT rent a car. I have heared about Tri county shuttle any one have a phone# ? or a web sight? I can't find it. Also any other way you can share with me I would be very thankfull. Thanks

Hi:

My family and I, (5 of us), will be coming back from the Caribbean on Sunday, 12/29. Our flight does not leave until 9pm to come back to Los Angeles.

Can you recommend a hotel / resort on the beach. Even though we wont be sleeping there, we will need a place for luggage and to relax.

Great if they had a pool with cabana's also.

thanks

Bill

About 2 hrs. if you take the turnpike north from Florida City to 595 east to the port. Allow another hour if you decide to drive up US1 to I95 to avoid tolls.

We will be taking a cruise out of FLL in Feb. 2013 I have been checking the air line and it is still high. I have been thinking of flying to Miami and than transfer to the cruise terminal. Can any one tell me how much it might coast? We can NOT rent a car. I have heared about Tri county shuttle any one have a phone# ? or a web sight? I can't find it. Also any other way you can share with me I would be very thankfull. Thanks

Taxi or private driver will cost about $80 per car, so most shuttles will cost less.

Hi:

My family and I, (5 of us), will be coming back from the Caribbean on Sunday, 12/29. Our flight does not leave until 9pm to come back to Los Angeles.

Can you recommend a hotel / resort on the beach. Even though we wont be sleeping there, we will need a place for luggage and to relax.

Great if they had a pool with cabana's also.

thanks

Bill

I think you'll find cabanas at Lago Mar, Harbor Beach Marriott, Ritz Carlton, and W Hotel. Most hotels won't guarantee checkin until 3 or 4 but will hold your luggage until you can get into the room.

About 2 hrs. if you take the turnpike north from Florida City to 595 east to the port. Allow another hour if you decide to drive up US1 to I95 to avoid tolls.

Thank you.

It depends on what dates you are going and what events are scheduled for Key Largo or Islamorada since it's basically all one lane until you get to Key Largo. Any events will slow the traffic down considerably.

Spending 2 nights gives you more leisure time to explore so yes staying in Islamorada has a lot to explore and enjoy some great restaurants and unique shops Rain Barrel artisans ( huge lobster statue ) From Islamorada the drive would be around 1 1/2 hour to Key West. Again making sure there aren't any events in the rest of the Keys to slow you down.

I have not driven in that direction.. we come usually come from Orlando and drive straight through avoiding Miami altogether.

Even though I have stayed 2 mos in Key Largo I would just plan on stopping at John Pennekamp and maybe the Shell store. I find KL to be dirty and not as nice as the rest of the Keys

Check Calendar of Events on this site for each of the keys

http://www.fla-keys.com/gettinghere/

Thank you for all the information.

We are cruising in Dec/Jan of 2013-2014, driving from central flordia, but we need a place to park close to the port with a shuttle service can anyone tell me the name of the ones near the port. I know a few years ago we saw a lot right next to the port but don't know if it is still there or the name. The port is too much for a long cruise if we can find something close. I see one on Eller Drive but not sure where that is in relation to port. Thanks for any help. Deanna

We are cruising in Dec/Jan of 2013-2014, driving from central flordia, but we need a place to park close to the port with a shuttle service can anyone tell me the name of the ones near the port. I know a few years ago we saw a lot right next to the port but don't know if it is still there or the name. The port is too much for a long cruise if we can find something close. I see one on Eller Drive but not sure where that is in relation to port. Thanks for any help. Deanna

Eller Dr is in the port so a private lot on Eller Dr will be right outside.

Thanks. Checked on those hotels and they were all booked. Decided on the B Ocean. Hard to spend $300.00 just for a room for a few hours, but in the big scheme of things, that is not that much money. Compared to the whole trip!

Looks like the location is ok, and the beach is right there.

Thanks. Checked on those hotels and they were all booked. Decided on the B Ocean. Hard to spend $300.00 just for a room for a few hours, but in the big scheme of things, that is not that much money. Compared to the whole trip!

Looks like the location is ok, and the beach is right there.

The B Ocean location is ok but did you know that the pool does not have an ocean view? Most of the other hotel pools by the beach do.

Sharon, just heard that Scot's By the Sea, the souvenir shop, is closing--we are disappointed, loved the store, it has everything.

Any idea why? What are the new plans they have in store for the area?

The ice cream store next to Scots that has been there for about 40 yrs is also closing, as is Gilligans Subs on the next block. I'm not sure the reasons for the closings, but the parking and streets are all torn up right now for a beautification project so business is very slow.

The ice cream store next to Scots that has been there for about 40 yrs is also closing, as is Gilligans Subs on the next block. I'm not sure the reasons for the closings, but the parking and streets are all torn up right now for a beautification project so business is very slow.

Interesting. Wonder if they'll put some new shops/restaurants in? Thanks Sharon, hope you're doing well.