Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

[quote name='soaknitup']We are looking for a hotel that has shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and from hotel to the princess cruise terminal. We will be cruising april 2014. Any suggestions?[/quote]
Hampton Inn North FLL offers this at no extra charge. I think Extended Stay 17th St, Springhill Suites FLL, Cambria Suites FLL, and Hampton Inn Plantation still do too.

[quote name='Charmingly58']We are sailing from Ft. Lauderdale on February 28th. We are driving from Tampa and would like to arrive a day early, stay at a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale and leave our car at the hoel while we're on our 10 day cruise. Any suggestions for where to stay?[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]look at Cambria Suites on stay123.com and parksleepfly.com
Both usually offer that hotel but sometimes I've seen one a little less then the other.[/FONT]

Need help please

we will stay pre-cruise in Fort Lauderdale. I want to do a day trip to Key West. I will not rent a car and drive myself, so I need suggestions for a tour-operator. Any ideas? Or is it crazy to go to Key West for one day only?

Thank you for help and ideas

[quote name='ConnyR']Need help please

we will stay pre-cruise in Fort Lauderdale. I want to do a day trip to Key West. I will not rent a car and drive myself, so I need suggestions for a tour-operator. Any ideas? Or is it crazy to go to Key West for one day only?

Thank you for help and ideas[/quote]

Hi,:) you are asking for opinions?.....I would not go all the way to Key
West for only 1 day......it is at least 3.5 hours....so 7 hours driving
(or shuttling) ....almost 1/2 the day is getting there and back.
That is just one person's view.

[quote name='Charmingly58']We are sailing from Ft. Lauderdale on February 28th. We are driving from Tampa and would like to arrive a day early, stay at a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale and leave our car at the hoel while we're on our 10 day cruise. Any suggestions for where to stay?[/quote]
Hampton Airport North/Cruise Port. We will stay there again in November, have left our car there before while cruising. They have a shuttle to/from port at no extra charge (at least the last time we did that). 10 days free parking with one night's paid stay. Shopping center and fast food places right across the street, German restaurant 1 block. They will also shuttle you within short range, but we never used them for that.

[quote name='Dietemann']Hampton Airport North/Cruise Port. We will stay there again in November, have left our car there before while cruising. They have a shuttle to/from port at no extra charge (at least the last time we did that). 10 days free parking with one night's paid stay. Shopping center and fast food places right across the street, German restaurant 1 block. They will also shuttle you within short range, but we never used them for that.[/quote]

Hi, there are so many Hampton's:)...do you have the address for this
particular one?
Never mind...I found it...for a Hampton this is quite pricey (in my opinion)
I will keep looking. Edited by Lois R

[quote name='ConnyR']Need help please

Thank you for help and ideas[/quote]
If you google "key west day tours" you will find there are several companies that do this from Miami but I didn't find any from Fort Lauderdale. Key West is 8 hrs round trip from Fort Lauderdale if there is no traffic.

[quote name='royalcruz']If you google "key west day tours" you will find there are several companies that do this from Miami but I didn't find any from Fort Lauderdale. Key West is 8 hrs round trip from Fort Lauderdale if there is no traffic.[/quote]

I found this one: [url]http://www.grayline.com/tours/fort-lauderdale/key-west-day-trip-from-fort-lauderdale-5864_76/#.UheDLHf8K64[/url]

Looks interesting - but, of course, a very long day!

[quote name='royalcruz']Hampton Inn North FLL offers this at no extra charge. I think Extended Stay 17th St, Springhill Suites FLL, Cambria Suites FLL, and Hampton Inn Plantation still do too.[/quote]

Extended Stay on 17th Street now charges $4 per person for port shuttle.

[quote name='sarbah77']I found this one: [URL]http://www.grayline.com/tours/fort-lauderdale/key-west-day-trip-from-fort-lauderdale-5864_76/#.UheDLHf8K64[/URL]

Looks interesting - but, of course, a very long day![/quote]

Thank you very much, it helps.
I know a veeeery long day, but we will do this one time in life and after this we will have a relaxing time at a 22 day cruise:D

[quote name='Charmingly58']We are sailing from Ft. Lauderdale on February 28th. We are driving from Tampa and would like to arrive a day early, stay at a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale and leave our car at the hoel while we're on our 10 day cruise. Any suggestions for where to stay?[/QUOTE]

Although cruising out of Miami we are flying into Ft. Laud. and staying overnight at Comfort Suites, Airport/Cruise Port the night before and then after the cruise. They offer free airport shuttle, cruise port shuttle (if out of Ft. Laud), breakfast, great rates (it's $76 p/nt for next month), and excellent reviews. Don't know about parking but you could check.

We are planning for our Feb. 2014 Royal Caribbean cruise. Thinking about taking the train into Ft. Lauderdale.
Questions:
[B]1) [/B]Have seen Hollywood mentioned, is that closer to the pier?
[B]2) [/B]Does anyone know if there is a hotel that will provide a shuttle to the hotel/pier? Or is a taxi to the hotel the only way?

Thanks for any suggestions. We don't like to fly, so train or drive are our only choices.

[quote name='JF - retired RRT']We are planning for our Feb. 2014 Royal Caribbean cruise. Thinking about taking the train into Ft. Lauderdale.
Questions:
[B]1) [/B]Have seen Hollywood mentioned, is that closer to the pier?
[B]2) [/B]Does anyone know if there is a hotel that will provide a shuttle to the hotel/pier? Or is a taxi to the hotel the only way?

Thanks for any suggestions. We don't like to fly, so train or drive are our only choices.[/quote]
Hollywood is 15-30 minutes from Port Everglades, depending on the location and traffic. This website lists some hotels that offer shuttles. [URL]http://www.parkingstay.com/p/ft-lauderdale.html[/URL]

[quote=Watson's aunt;39671244]Hi

I am taking a cruise in November. I have rooms at they Hyatt on 17th street. I am wondering if there a Walmart I can go to to get some personal care items, I don't want to have to lug them in suit case. I will not have a car.

Mary[/quote]

Hi Mary,:) there is a Publix within walking distance and also a
Walgreen's is nearby.

[quote=Watson's aunt;39671244]Hi

I am taking a cruise in November. I have rooms at they Hyatt on 17th street. I am wondering if there a Walmart I can go to to get some personal care items, I don't want to have to lug them in suit case. I will not have a car.

Mary[/quote]
There are no Walmarts in Fort Lauderdale. The closest store to Hyatt is Walgreens.

I really need to finalize my plans for my November cruise. Have all the pre-cruise things arranged in San Juan, but returning to Miami on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. I'm flying out of FLL on Monday.

I'd asked about hotels before and almost booked what I think is the Riverside on Hotwire.

But now I'm wondering if I should stay elsewhere. I've stayed at the Hyatt Place that was listed as "Fort Lauderdale-Airport North" on SE 10th Ave on my reservation back in 2009. I thought it was a good place for pre-cruise at a good price with a shuttle from the airport and to the pier.

I don't see that listed anywhere, but I do see the Hyatt Place on 17th St at a really low rate. Recent reviews on Trip Advisor seem favorable. Just surprised that the rate is so low. I think they have an airport shuttle.

I'm guessing I need to get a shuttle from the port in Miami to FLL, then a shuttle to the hotel, since I'm guessing the shuttle from the port won't drop me at a hotel (assuming everyone else is going straight to the airport).

Anyone have any comments as to why I shouldn't book there? It's cheap enough I'd book direct and earn hotel points. I'm talking $76 cheap!

[quote name='NCTribeFan']I really need to finalize my plans for my November cruise. Have all the pre-cruise things arranged in San Juan, but returning to Miami on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. I'm flying out of FLL on Monday.

I'd asked about hotels before and almost booked what I think is the Riverside on Hotwire.

But now I'm wondering if I should stay elsewhere. I've stayed at the Hyatt Place that was listed as "Fort Lauderdale-Airport North" on SE 10th Ave on my reservation back in 2009. I thought it was a good place for pre-cruise at a good price with a shuttle from the airport and to the pier.

I don't see that listed anywhere, but I do see the Hyatt Place on 17th St at a really low rate. Recent reviews on Trip Advisor seem favorable. Just surprised that the rate is so low. I think they have an airport shuttle.

I'm guessing I need to get a shuttle from the port in Miami to FLL, then a shuttle to the hotel, since I'm guessing the shuttle from the port won't drop me at a hotel (assuming everyone else is going straight to the airport).

Anyone have any comments as to why I shouldn't book there? It's cheap enough I'd book direct and earn hotel points. I'm talking $76 cheap![/quote]
Hyatt Place near 17th St is fine and you'll get a free shuttle to/from FLL if needed. If you were ok with the neighborhood around the Hyatt Place south of the airport then this should be satisfactory for you. The neighborhood around Riverside is much more interesting, but it might not be worth the extra hotel and shuttle cost to you as $76 is a great rate and Riverside could end up costing you double in the end.

Can you recommend a seafood or American restaurant on the Water Taxi route that is not overly expensive and close to the taxi stop. We will be in Ft. Lauderdale in early January.

Thanks,

Linda

These are moderately priced and very popular:

Dockside Cafe at 15th St Fisheries (seafood, has it's own stop)

Mangos or Big City Tavern (American restaurants near Las Olas stop)

Bahia Cabana (mediocre American and seafood, but fun laidback Keys ambiance on a marina, has it's own stop)

H20 (American/international) and Coconuts (mostly seafood), (Beach Place stop)

Hyatt Place near 17th St is fine and you'll get a free shuttle to/from FLL if needed. If you were ok with the neighborhood around the Hyatt Place south of the airport then this should be satisfactory for you. The neighborhood around Riverside is much more interesting, but it might not be worth the extra hotel and shuttle cost to you as $76 is a great rate and Riverside could end up costing you double in the end.

Thanks! I think I'd really like the Riverside, but I was going to try booking on Hotwire and may not have gotten it anyway.

Since I'm spending the extra night post-cruise, it would be nice to do this as cheaply as possible without staying in a dump. ;)

At the other Hyatt Place, DD & I walked over to the Irish pub and had dinner. Felt perfectly safe walking back at night. I'll be solo this time so will stick close to the hotel if I'm out after dark. Or just use their local shuttle.

Now to decide on which shuttle firm to use for the ride from MIA when we disembark. Some on my Roll Call have booked SAS, some QLS. Since I won't be in any hurry to get to the airport, I suppose it doesn't matter, just as long as they actually pick me up!

Thanks! I think I'd really like the Riverside, but I was going to try booking on Hotwire and may not have gotten it anyway.

Since I'm spending the extra night post-cruise, it would be nice to do this as cheaply as possible without staying in a dump. ;)

At the other Hyatt Place, DD & I walked over to the Irish pub and had dinner. Felt perfectly safe walking back at night. I'll be solo this time so will stick close to the hotel if I'm out after dark. Or just use their local shuttle.

Now to decide on which shuttle firm to use for the ride from MIA when we disembark. Some on my Roll Call have booked SAS, some QLS. Since I won't be in any hurry to get to the airport, I suppose it doesn't matter, just as long as they actually pick me up!

Well, you are in luck. I just reread your post from yesterday asking about Hyatt Place. When you said that you couldn't find a deal there and could only find one on 17th St, I thought you stayed at the one south of the airport, but the one near 17th St is the same one you stayed at last time! They just don't call it Hyatt Place North anymore. It's the one near Waxy O' Connors Irish pub (on SE 17th St)!

Edited by royalcruz