Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We are currently booked at Hyatt Place 17th st for a 1 night pre cruise in May. Got a great price with Valuetrips. Now thinking about switching to Doubletree Gallery One with LMT but I'm wondering how much it will cost for a taxi from the airport to the hotel? It might not end up being any cheaper with having to pay for a taxi but I love the location.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Taxi from airport to Gallery One will be about $25, and it will cost about the same to the port.

We have a room at Hyatt Place 17th booked thru Valuetrips. How close are we to restaurants and shops? We won't have a car. Also, is this a pretty decent place to stay? One of my fellow travelers is a bit of a snob. Any suggestions?

You'll be easily able to walk to restaurants from HP 17th. There aren't a lot of shops around there though: CVS, grocery, wine/liquor, Ross, Office Depot, Dollar Tree, a great consignment shop Prissy Hen, and a few boutiques. It's not fancy but it's a decent hotel.

About going crazy trying to find a decent hotel with decent rates that has a park and cruise deal .... Been rading a lot about not using the hotel shuttles and just taking a taxi instead. Can't really tell which hotels have a secured and monitored parking lot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sleep inn ... Heard it was good, then recently read bad reviews

La Quinta inn ... ?

Quality inn Hollywood ... Have tentative reservations, but now hear its not a good hotel / parking

Hyatt place ... Found a park n cruise for $130 ... How much for a taxi to/ from the port?

Comfort inn (federal & 17th) ... Found a park n cruise for $119... How much for a taxi to/ from the port?

How are these hotels?

Has anyone used park n go ... Can park there for $67 then could possibly find a good deal on a hotel without park n cruise packages.

I always park at the port for $15/day because you can't get into the port without showing ID, so it feels more secure.

Help please .... Thank you!!!!

I don't believe these hotels have secured and monitored parking. I think that Renaissance, Embassy Suites, and Sheraton Airport might have parking security.

Which Hyatt Place?

A taxi from Comfort Suites on Federal to the port will be about $10-15.

Edited by royalcruz

I don't believe these hotels have secured and monitored parking. I think that Renaissance, Embassy Suites, and Sheraton Airport might have parking security.

Which Hyatt Place?

A taxi from Comfort Suites on Federal to the port will be about $10-15.

Sharon.... It would be the hyatt place on 17th

Parking security is a big concern ... I don't want to leave our car somewhere that is just out in the open and no one watching it.

What do you know about ParknGo? Seems to be in a fenced lot with security...idk?

We will be staying at the Riverside for our cruise. I asked and found out that there is a pharmacy that we can walk to. Are there any grocery or liquor stores that we can walk to? I see everyone talking about Total wine and the Publix stores, not sure if it is in our neighborhood. Once again thanks.

Parking security is a big concern ... I don't want to leave our car somewhere that is just out in the open and no one watching it.

What do you know about ParknGo? Seems to be in a fenced lot with security...idk?

Taxi to port from the Hyatt Place 17th St will be about $10.

I've never used ParknGo, but other CC members seem to like it. For me it seems inconvenient to park there and then shuttle over to the port when I can park right near the terminal, and I'm willing to pay for that convenience.

We will be staying at the Riverside for our cruise. I asked and found out that there is a pharmacy that we can walk to. Are there any grocery or liquor stores that we can walk to? I see everyone talking about Total wine and the Publix stores, not sure if it is in our neighborhood. Once again thanks.

There are no grocery or liquor stores very close to Riverside Hotel. There is a Publix grocery store about a mile away on Andrews Avenue. CVS drug store is a couple of blocks away on N. Federal Hwy and sells a limited selection of wine. Total Wine is about 3 miles away.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Airport, Ft Lauderdale in Dec. They charged $7 per night for parking and it was in an indoor garage attached to the hotel.

They charged for their shuttle to the port which was very close to the hotel.

Edited by phabric

Ugh...

Might just try and find a cheaper hotel and park at the port ... won't have to worry about a shuttle or if the hotel parking is secure. Mainly need the hotel to sleep, shower and eat breakfast.

I was frantic at looking for a place to stay pre-cruise one night on last minute for end of March. I think I made a bad decision when I booked Comfort Suites in Tamarac. I assumed it was really close to Sawgrass Mall. I booked this as Express deal because of free parking and breakfast. We are driving from Miami airport. I really hoped for near Port Everglades or by beach but decided to spend money on shore excursion on cruise instead. I can't belive the price on hotels this time of year. Since I cannot cancel this booking, can someone reassure me that it is at least a decent place. Is it a safe area? Will my car be safe in the parking lot at night? Will we be safe if we go driving at night and return when it is dark? I know it is only for one night, but I'm wondering if I should take the loss and look elsewhere. But it is still a lot of money. What do I do?:(

Hi all,

we will stay in FLL at Embassy Suites pre cruise.

My personally dream is to drive the road to Key Biscayne (seen it so much in tv:rolleyes:)

Now the question: is it possible? We don't plan to rent a car. Are there some public busses? A tour operator?

Or do you think to do this is too crazy?

Thank you for your help and ideas

I was frantic at looking for a place to stay pre-cruise one night on last minute for end of March. I think I made a bad decision when I booked Comfort Suites in Tamarac. I assumed it was really close to Sawgrass Mall. I booked this as Express deal because of free parking and breakfast. We are driving from Miami airport. I really hoped for near Port Everglades or by beach but decided to spend money on shore excursion on cruise instead. I can't belive the price on hotels this time of year. Since I cannot cancel this booking, can someone reassure me that it is at least a decent place. Is it a safe area? Will my car be safe in the parking lot at night? Will we be safe if we go driving at night and return when it is dark? I know it is only for one night, but I'm wondering if I should take the loss and look elsewhere. But it is still a lot of money. What do I do?:(

Don't worry. Comfort Suites is in the nicer end of Tamarac and it is safe, and easy to get to Sawgrass Mills from there, about a 6 mile drive. I can't tell you how the hotel is...check tripadvisor for that. :)

Hi all,

we will stay in FLL at Embassy Suites pre cruise.

My personally dream is to drive the road to Key Biscayne (seen it so much in tv:rolleyes:)

Now the question: is it possible? We don't plan to rent a car. Are there some public busses? A tour operator?

Or do you think to do this is too crazy?

Thank you for your help and ideas

I guess you could take public buses but you have to cross counties and go pretty far and with all the stops it would take a really long time.

Don't worry. Comfort Suites is in the nicer end of Tamarac and it is safe, and easy to get to Sawgrass Mills from there, about a 6 mile drive.

Sharon - thank you. i was hoping you'd reply. I've read all your advice here on cc and I thank you for taking the time to do so. I've read the reviews on Tripadvisor. It's an okay place. i always weigh the good and the bad. I just have not read anyone else on this board that have asked regarding this place. I stayed at the Sheraton Beach Hotel two years ago in November and only paid $80, now it's about $300. This time we would like to do sightsee and go places since we have a car. Any advice on a scenic route from Miami to Fort Lauderdale without going through toll roads?:)

Sharon - thank you. i was hoping you'd reply. I've read all your advice here on cc and I thank you for taking the time to do so. I've read the reviews on Tripadvisor. It's an okay place. i always weigh the good and the bad. I just have not read anyone else on this board that have asked regarding this place. I stayed at the Sheraton Beach Hotel two years ago in November and only paid $80, now it's about $300. This time we would like to do sightsee and go places since we have a car. Any advice on a scenic route from Miami to Fort Lauderdale without going through toll roads?:)

You're welcome. I worked a mile east of the hotel in Tamarac for the last 10 yrs and always felt safe and secure. You haven't read about it here because it's close to 20 miles from FLL and Port Everglades. Sorry, I can't think of any scenic routes. There are no tolls if you take I95 except in the express lanes, but there may be a toll on the expressway from MIA to I95...I'm not sure about the roads around there.

royalcruz,

Just wondered if you or someone else local can answer a question for me?

I know you can rent bikes in Fort Launderdale, we did it several years back. But has the city done the bike stations that some other large cities are now doing??

They have a rack of bikes and you pay to unlock them and can return them to any of the other station thru out the city. We did this in Chicago and it was a great way to see the city and to get from one place to another.

If not already there, this would be a great addition to Fort Lauderdale

Edited to add: Nevermind, just found my answer on sunny.org website

Here it is in case anyone else is interested:

http://www.sunny.org/listings/BROWARD-B-CYCLE/4141/?fromMenu=2644&startrow=1

Edited by waterbugohio

Finally figured out my hotel and parking situation ... Dad has a free night at a choice hotel (well, some of them depending on how many points are required) .... So, we will be parking at the port ... Convenience and safety ... Whew that's done. Now just figuring out and finalizing the excursions and paying off the cruise and we will be set.... Woohoo!!!!

Thanx to all that gave suggestions and advice :)

We are cruising out of FLL January 2015. Hotel rates seem quite high for that departure week (January 18-25). Will those rates drop at any point or is that typical of that week?

It's January in South Florida, alot of people vacation around that time to get away from the cold. Higher rates are not unusual.

We are cruising out of FLL January 2015. Hotel rates seem quite high for that departure week (January 18-25). Will those rates drop at any point or is that typical of that week?

Monday, Jan 19, 2015 is Martin Luther King Day (i.e., a 3 day weekend for many people) - that weekend is always expensive.