Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi Sharon,
Just a wealth of information from you and others that are helping out here. My question is,,, we are staying at Beach Gardens near Gallery One Mall,,, if you were going to do a half day shopping would you go to Gallery One or take the bus over to Sawgrass Mills. If Sawgrass, about how long is that bus ride and does it stop right at the mall, thanks so much.

[quote name='charmed101']Hi Sharon,
Just a wealth of information from you and others that are helping out here. My question is,,, we are staying at Beach Gardens near Gallery One Mall,,, if you were going to do a half day shopping would you go to Gallery One or take the bus over to Sawgrass Mills. If Sawgrass, about how long is that bus ride and does it stop right at the mall, thanks so much.[/QUOTE]

If I only had a half day, I would go to Galleria Mall. There are usually sales at Macy's, Dillard's, and Ann Taylor, and there are good restuarants and food court for lunch.

The public bus 36 does go to Sawgrass Mills (that's where it will turn around to go back east). It takes a little over an hour each way. Fare is $1.75 or $.85 for seniors, each way. The closest bus stop to your hotel will be on the west side of A1A past Sunrise Blvd. Sawgrass Mills is really big so I don't go there unless I have 5 hours...I think I can cover 10 stores that I like to go to in that time. Some of my faves are Saks, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, & Tommy Hilfiger. Coach, Neiman Marcus, and Kate Spade have great gifts. Do your research first so you know where the stores are that you want to go to to make your time most efficient. There are stores inside and outside in sections. It's like when you tour a city and you map out your day and schedule. Edited by royalcruz

Hi Sharon

Thank you all your postings and wealth of knowledge you have shared.

Oct 24th. Party of 8 spending 2 nights pre cruise in FLL. 2 coming from the UK, vis Miami, (transport to be sorted also) 4 from Ireland flying into FLL, and ourselves coming from from NJ flying into FLL also.

Looking for a decent hotel with good facilities, close to some shopping for the Europeans and close to the beach.

Considering these 2 hotels and would appreciate feedback or would welcome other suggestions. We have no plans to rent cars etc.

B Ocean Fort Lauderdale and Bahia Mar.

Thank you, Shay

[quote name='SConnolly']Hi Sharon

Thank you all your postings and wealth of knowledge you have shared.

Oct 24th. Party of 8 spending 2 nights pre cruise in FLL. 2 coming from the UK, vis Miami, (transport to be sorted also) 4 from Ireland flying into FLL, and ourselves coming from from NJ flying into FLL also.

Looking for a decent hotel with good facilities, close to some shopping for the Europeans and close to the beach.

Considering these 2 hotels and would appreciate feedback or would welcome other suggestions. We have no plans to rent cars etc.

B Ocean Fort Lauderdale and Bahia Mar.

Thank you, Shay[/QUOTE]

B Ocean is across from the beach and 4 blocks to Galleria Mall.

Bahia Mar is across from the beach but not walking distance to any good shopping. They can take Suntrolley or public bus 40 to Galleria Mall.

Doubletree Gallery One is another good option...3 blocks to the beach and 1 block to Galleria Mall.
Taxis are about $25 from FLL to these hotels. From MIA they will probably do best with a shuttle service (I'm not sure which ones service MIA). A car service or taxi will cost about the same as each other. Edited by royalcruz

I've been scrolling through this thread getting ideas. I need input, please! We are staying 1 night, May 16...cruising May 17 on Oasis. We are driving, so we will have a car. There are 5 of us...all adults.
I'm looking at Gallery ONE Doubletree, they have a 2 bedroom suite that looks good. I am also looking at Crowne Plaza (we would do 2 rooms). We don't care about shuttles as we plan on driving to the port the next morning and parking at terminal.
I'd rather have something a little nicer, not just a "place to sleep for a night". Thanks!!

[quote name='royalcruz']B Ocean is across from the beach and 4 blocks to Galleria Mall.

Bahia Mar is across from the beach but not walking distance to any good shopping. They can take Suntrolley or public bus 40 to Galleria Mall.

Doubletree Gallery One is another good option...3 blocks to the beach and 1 block to Galleria Mall.
Taxis are about $25 from FLL to these hotels. From MIA they will probably do best with a shuttle service (I'm not sure which ones service MIA). A car service or taxi will cost about the same as each other.[/QUOTE]

Thank you

[quote name='SondraC']I've been scrolling through this thread getting ideas. I need input, please! We are staying 1 night, May 16...cruising May 17 on Oasis. We are driving, so we will have a car. There are 5 of us...all adults.
I'm looking at Gallery ONE Doubletree, they have a 2 bedroom suite that looks good. I am also looking at Crowne Plaza (we would do 2 rooms). We don't care about shuttles as we plan on driving to the port the next morning and parking at terminal.
I'd rather have something a little nicer, not just a "place to sleep for a night". Thanks!![/QUOTE]
Gallery One and Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale are both nice.

Some of the nicer hotels in Fort Lauderdale:

port area:
Renaissance
Hyatt Pier 66 main building

Beach area:
Lago Mar
Ritz Carlton
Marriott Harbor Beach
W Hotel
Westin Beach
B Ocean
Il Lugano

Hollywood:
Westin Diplomat beach hotel

[quote name='jacari_ja']Is there anywhere in walking distance from the gallery one hotel to buy wine.
We will be staying there on the 3rd May.
Mary[/QUOTE]

Publix across the street has a nice wine selection. Sometimes they have great deals too.

[quote name='talladega88']We picked this hotel for our pre cruise stay, now I'm wondering if we made a bad choice. Anyone stay here before, should we take a taxi to the cruise port? Any help would be great!
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Did you check Trip Advisor? Hampton north is very close to the port. It's very close to a shopping center with food and liquor and a few restaurants, sports bar on the block. A taxi will be under $15.

we are a group of 6 people (4 adults and 2 children) and stay at the Hyatt house in Dania Beach. Anyone know if we can catch a taxi for all of us or we need 2? and what is the approximate cost from the hotel to the port?
Thanks!:D

[quote name='anaivali']we are a group of 6 people (4 adults and 2 children) and stay at the Hyatt house in Dania Beach. Anyone know if we can catch a taxi for all of us or we need 2? and what is the approximate cost from the hotel to the port?
Thanks!:D[/quote]
We've called the night before and reserved a minivan taxi. We had 5 people with bags and that worked out, but if you have a large number of bags, you still might need two taxis. Cost should be around $25 per taxi.

[quote name='clarea']We've called the night before and reserved a minivan taxi. We had 5 people with bags and that worked out, but if you have a large number of bags, you still might need two taxis. Cost should be around $25 per taxi.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! We are in Spain and don't think I can call the night before to reserve a minivan :(
We have 5 bags in total.

[quote name='anaivali']Thanks! We are in Spain and don't think I can call the night before to reserve a minivan :(
We have 5 bags in total.[/quote]
You can ask the people at the hotel to make the taxi reservation.

[quote name='marsworth75']What are the chances of getting a hotel room for one night in mid-January for less than $100?
Any info or advice would be welcomed[/quote]

Not good since that is high season. What day of the week? If it is the Martin Luther King weekend (17 - 19), that is one of the most expensive high season weekends because lots of folks have a 3 day weekend.

Yes it is that weekend. Arrive on the 18th Jan and start cruise on the 19th. Never even considered the holiday, but now the rates I am seeing begin to make more sense. Thanks for the info. Edited by marsworth75

[quote name='marsworth75']What are the chances of getting a hotel room for one night in mid-January for less than $100?
Any info or advice would be welcomed[/QUOTE]

Maybe you can get an airport hotel on Priceline for less than $100. Regular prices start at around $200 in January, I think.

[quote name='royalcruz']Maybe you can get an airport hotel on Priceline for less than $100. Regular prices start at around $200 in January, I think.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to try Hotwire; I've never paid more than $90 for a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale, usually quite a bit less. We usually stay in the airport/close to the port area, though, since it's only one night.