What to do in Bar Harbor

CruzinNoony

Here’s Oli’s homepage http://www.acadiaislandtours.com/index.html

The ticket price you quoted is correct; the departure point is within about 500 feet of the tender dock. They offer an information request form under the Contact Us tab where you can ask for the precise departure location.

Enjoy Bar Harbor and your cruise.

SB&Thank you so much! Do you know anything about Oli's Trolley? I read somewhere that it is a 2 1/2 tour for $29.00, but I have no idea of where to catch it.:confused:

We have done this tour previously and I would recommend it. If you want you can order the tickets on line or buy tickets at the tender pier area. The people there will direct you as to where to catch the trolley, also. It's not far.

If I remember there also is a boat tour that goes out in the morning. The boat is to the left of the pier as you get off of the tender. Does anyone know anything about this tour? How long is it, cost, what time do you need to be there for tickets?

The only tour boat I can remember, at this time, that is located to the left of the tender dock as you face the shore, is the four masted schooner the Margaret Todd http://www.downeastwindjammer.com/ . MT sails from the Bar Harbor Inn Pier which is to the left (if you are facing the shore) of the town dock.

Also leaving from the same pier is a 4 hour fishing tour. A description of that tour is at the same link I provided for MT

We were on the Bar Harbor Whale Watching tour last week. Even though we were there when they were having the best weather they have had all summer it was still cold out on the water. I would suggest taking a warm jacket with hood and some gloves.

Make sure you're there early enough to get in line so you can get a seat on the top as the seats up there fill up right away. We sat in the last seat on the top deck. There was a large open spot next to it that we were able to stand up to take pictures. The boat will idle out of the harbor and then pick up speed. Once the boat picked up speed a lot of people that had been sitting on the top deck went below because it was chilly and they had not dressed to be out on the open water. If you didn't get a seat up top when you first got on you might want to check after the boat picks up speed.

There were many people on the boat that had taken advantage of the free offer to go again if whales were not sited. Two storms had hit the area in the 2 weeks prior so the whales had not returned. We did not think we would see any but we ended up seeing a Finback whale. It's the second largest animal in the world. We stayed for quite a while while it surfaced then dove and surfaced again. The captain of the boat was very good about making sure that he turned the boat so people on both sides could see the whale. We also so many harbor porpoises and some harbor seals. Also the scenery was beautiful. The Caribbean Princess was in port one of the days we were there. It was sitting out in the harbor surrounded by the beautiful scenery including Cadillac Mountain. She was at anchor with her bow towards Cadillac Mountain and her starboard side toward the town of Bar Harbor.

I would suggest renting a car in Bar Harbor for the day--there is a location for Enterprise at Trenton near Bar Harbor and they will pick you up in their shuttle and take you to the car. Then you can drive to Acadia National Park, tour Cadillac Mountain, Thunder Hole and eat a wonderful dinner at Jordan Pond (the lobster bisque is delightful and the popovers are the best) and you can see the beauty of Maine and the Bar Harbor area without taking individual cruise ship tours. Cheaper to rent a car and get it all in in one day.

Archived