It's Official... Celebrity is rolling out Open Seating on all ships

Rick-cruiser

The VAST majority of cruisers do NOT post here. Above and beyond that, the vast majority of people don't post POSITIVE experiences. But people always complain! :)

Can only speak for myself. we booked the Caribbean Princess 7 months out. 400 people were wait listed for fixed dining at that time. Our travel companions checked with Princess again a few weeks before the cruise, and the # had increased.

Smaller ships, such as Silversea and Oceania, all have open seating. It may be more complicated for the larger ships. As for us, we like the buffet dinner at the buffet restaurant (where most people eat breakfast and lunch at the stern of the Mercury/Century) anyway. So it is just fine with us.

We cruise both lines--but let's be honest--dinner on Royal C is just eating a meal--not dining like it is on Clebrity- Big difference there so why make one line like the other!

Hoping X staff are reading this--they are going to make some regulars kind of nervous about future bookings... All our present res are booked for traditional so I hope they don't change that..

I agree they can put the My Timers in a sep room or dining level so maybe it will work out but serving all those meals is complicated to begin with...this only makes it more complicated..

also what does MTD do to the show schedules and cocktail parties?

In my opinion, it depends. I had some meals on Brilliance of the Seas that were better than Celebrity and others that were not as good. I also thought the dinner we had at Portofinos was better than some of the meals I had at specialty restaurants on Celebrity, even though the service was not nearly as formal.

For me, I love Traditional dining. For a few reasons: 1) I get horribly nervous when I meet new people 2) with the same dinner guest the nerves settle somewhat...eventually.

I like the formal nights because I get to dress up where as I don't get to very often at home.

Yes, Cunard offers a more traditional setting. I am looking forward to a journey on one of their ships...just to go 'extreme'.

quote "The spokesperson said that on the Solstice-class of ships up to 400 guests chose to dine in the alternative restaurants each night, which frees up “extra” seats in the main dining room, allowing flexibility and no lines of people waiting to be seated."

Now if I read the article correctly, they have about 400 people dining in other venues while traditional dining is taking place thus they have spaces for flex dining.

How do they work this as it may just be one couple from each table who is eating else where? The concept of having both flex and traditional in the same dining room confuses me. Especially when they talk about taking the place of those diners eating elsewhere. They can't move the traditional diners together on a nightly basis or do they plan to fill in the empty seats.

We enjoy traditional on Celebrity. Probably will enjoy flex also. On Princess we enjoyed anytime. If we ate late we ate with Europeans or South Americans. If we ate early we ate with Americans. I found it interesting and enjoyable.

The people who opt to choose anytime dinning are the same people who have up to now, been sharing your table at traditional times. Could you tell I was a closet "anytime" diner?:D Did I not dress well enough? My DH wore a Tux on Formal Night not jeans. Why do some people think that we do not enjoy or respect the ritual of dining or the tradition of dressing for dinner when we are cruising?

We had early seating on the Millie and on one occasion they turned up the lights and flashed them to get us out. We counted 22 tables still talking over coffee and having a good time. Could have been done with a bit more class. Our table of 8 had missing people many nights because on those specific nights they wanted to eat later, We never knew who was going to show up for dinner. We are on early seating in Jan and we are traveling with friends. They have only been cruising once on NCL Pearl which we enjoyed (although X is a step up) and we will see how they like it. We just like the option.

Another thoughr. There were complaints about lineups. We did not like the milling around outside the doors, all jammed up, waiting for them to open and then the rush to the tables. They could serve champagne wihile we are waiting:D

In my opinion, it depends. I had some meals on Brilliance of the Seas that were better than Celebrity and others that were not as good. I also thought the dinner we had at Portofinos was better than some of the meals I had at specialty restaurants on Celebrity, even though the service was not nearly as formal.

I have some great food on RCCL too, but the experience of the dining experience was diminished to some extent for us when we were overdressed and outnumbered by those who were not dressed as called for, which was no different that X calls for.

So with all that aside, if we think that as a result of the MTD introduction that it may lead to a more dressed down approach, I would like to know how the percentages of homogenization of dress evenings break down as a result on RCCL ships who had already lead the way to this approach.

On another note, IMHO it is useless to compare dress on the high end lines with this line by taking away formal to level the discussion. Those lines don't do jeans. This line does.

This thread calls to mind something I find myself considering whenever I read these boards: I am pretty sure I have never disagreed with an opinion or posting rendered by dkjretired.

The devil is in the details, and while it is hard not to argue that "Everyone should just have a choice!", that position falls down -quite hard- when you peel back and examine the details, regardless of the subject of said 'choice'.

The question asked by "agabbymama" and "gisnered" are fair and deserve a response. After our horrid experience with the quality of the food and entertainment on NCL, we received notice of the entertainment (Brooks Ahren) on this particular cruise of Celebrity. We've taken two cruises each on Celebrity and HAL, and enjoyed it each time. However, we were traveling with a family member who is no longer with us. You may be right: we might find the cruise terrible, based solely on our choice not to participate in the rituals of formal nights.

Your comments are most helpful too us: we are contemplating canceling another cruise in February on Millennium for those reasons. To be fair to us, our fellow cruisers, and even Celebrity, we wanted to give it a try.

I have no problem letting others enjoy the "traditional" cruise style, if that is what they are looking for. I do have a problem with the apparent regimentation that I just rediscovered on Celebrity. I have no problem dining outside the Blu restaurant and the MDR on formal nights, just so long as we have an opportunity to eat something other than pizza, pasta, burgers and sushi. Perhaps the experience will be as bad for us as the "traditionalists" expect, and this will be our last cruise on Celebrity.

Our purposes in cruising is not to enjoy the social scene on board; rather, we enjoy taking the "hotel" with us as we get a sample of new places to visit.

It's just too bad that others will not be willing to accept our decision on extra baggage, extra clothing, and lifestyle choices. We accept theirs. Perhaps the traditionals can have their own ships?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understand from the above is:

1) A particular entertainer will be aboard for your cruise, and this is the reason you've booked it.

2.) in the past you've cruised X and HAL and enjoyed it

3.) In spite of #2 you're considering canceling a Millennium cruise for some reason

4.) I assume 3 is due to the fact that you've just discovered the "regimentation" on Celebrity (Even though you've cruised Celebrity twice before?)

5.) You're not taking a cruise to enjoy the society of your fellow passengers

6.) You have decided not to conform to the dress requests of the cruise line and you expect others, whom you distain, to accept it

7.) You propose that traditionals have their own ships

Perhaps I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even after the above, I still don't get it.

Perhaps it would be helpful for you totry to understand that the "traditionals" have happily booked what have been, in their experience, lovely cruises on a fairly traditional cruise line. They would like to continue booking lovely cruises on a fairly traditional cruise line. They know that there are other lines that offer non traditional experience for those who want it. They therefore don't understand why you insist, by vowing to flout the policies of the cruise line and railing against the "regimentation", that Celebrity change. They're happy with things as they are and would like you to be also - elsewhere, probably.

1) A particular entertainer will be aboard for your cruise, and this is the reason you've booked it.

3.) In spite of #2 you're considering canceling a Millennium cruise for some reason

4.) I assume 3 is due to the fact that you've just discovered the "regimentation" on Celebrity (Even though you've cruised Celebrity twice before?)

6.) You have decided not to conform to the dress requests of the cruise line and you expect others, whom you distain, to accept it

Perhaps I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even after the above, I still don't get it.

As to #5....some people are just not that into us.;)

Finally!!! I won't miss that cattle call for dinner one bit. One part of Celebrity I did not like and its about time they joined the 21st century. Lets eat dinner the way it was meant, when we feel like it and whoever we wish to dine with.

Finally!!! I won't miss that cattle call for dinner one bit. One part of Celebrity I did not like and its about time they joined the 21st century. Lets eat dinner the way it was meant, when we feel like it and whoever we wish to dine with.

So you are looking for a plain old every day experience like you can have at home vs. something truly different and special… not me and not most that sail on Celebrity.:rolleyes:

also what does MTD do to the show schedules and cocktail parties?

I suspect the show schedules will remain pretty much as they are, and the show schedules may help select seating function better. If people have somewhere to be (say a show), they will plan to eat early (or late) enough to accomodate that event. So, activites tend to spread out select dining times.

As to #5....some people are just not that into us.;)

Ummm... Yeah. Under the circumstances, I wonder why anyone would insist on coming to the party. Just for the entertainer? Beats me. Seems to me that, in that mind frame, one could have as much or more fun with self flagellation. And it would be a heck of a lot less expensive. :confused:

Let me clarify for you why I am thinking of canceling a cruise on the Millenium: the very regimentation that you enjoy. On our two HAL trips, there were alternatives to formal night that were satisfactory. In the two prior cruises with Celebrity, we traveled with a very convinial group, most of whom we knew before departure. In prior cruises on these premium lines, there were not weight and luggage limits on long distance travel. These now exist, and we wonder what enjoyment we could possibly gain from the formal nights that are worth the extra baggage. I don't see it, and if you do: Great! Enjoy yourself.

We learned from three bad experiences on NCL that the food, entertainment, shoreex, etc., leaves much to be desired. When the opportunity to enjoy a particular entertainer arose, it seemed that Celebrity could accommodate our desires in many ways.

Set dinner times are for children. We don't go to cocktail parties before dinner nor the nightclubs after. We don't prevent others from enjoying those activities; I just wish people like some respondents had similar toleration.

Now, thanks to many folks on this thread, it is increasingly obvious that I will not be happy on Celebrity -- bad choice and lack of sufficient research on my part and my part alone. However, we've already paid and its too late to turn back. My past, real world experience is that one can learn a great deal from mistakes. Perhaps I've learned my fellow cruisers are inflexible traditionalists, and Celebrity is their choice. I will react by minimizing my OBC's and staying away from them.

Forgive me for even thinking that Celebrity had flexibility and that fellow passengers wished some latitude as adults. I guess I was mistaken. Enjoy your booze, your over-priced shore-ex's, the gambling and the lines. I'll do my best to stay away from you.

Let me clarify for you why I am thinking of canceling a cruise on the Millenium: the very regimentation that you enjoy. On our two HAL trips, there were alternatives to formal night that were satisfactory. In the two prior cruises with Celebrity, we traveled with a very convinial group, most of whom we knew before departure. In prior cruises on these premium lines, there were not weight and luggage limits on long distance travel. These now exist, and we wonder what enjoyment we could possibly gain from the formal nights that are worth the extra baggage. I don't see it, and if you do: Great! Enjoy yourself.

We learned from three bad experiences on NCL that the food, entertainment, shoreex, etc., leaves much to be desired. When the opportunity to enjoy a particular entertainer arose, it seemed that Celebrity could accommodate our desires in many ways.

Set dinner times are for children. We don't go to cocktail parties before dinner nor the nightclubs after. We don't prevent others from enjoying those activities; I just wish people like some respondents had similar toleration.

Now, thanks to many folks on this thread, it is increasingly obvious that I will not be happy on Celebrity -- bad choice and lack of sufficient research on my part and my part alone. However, we've already paid and its too late to turn back. My past, real world experience is that one can learn a great deal from mistakes. Perhaps I've learned my fellow cruisers are inflexible traditionalists, and Celebrity is their choice. I will react by minimizing my OBC's and staying away from them.

Forgive me for even thinking that Celebrity had flexibility and that fellow passengers wished some latitude as adults. I guess I was mistaken. Enjoy your booze, your over-priced shore-ex's, the gambling and the lines. I'll do my best to stay away from you.

Maybe you just need to pack better.

So you are looking for a plain old every day experience like you can have at home vs. something truly different and special… not me and not most that sail on Celebrity.:rolleyes:

Well I would NEVER presume to speak for "MOST THAT SAIL ON CELEBRITY"....and suspect you're wrong...why would X be introducing this concept if they hadn't determined a need for it? Not likely they would put something in place that their demographics would reject.

Some people just don't like change.....and this isn't even change really...it's choice....you like traditional...stay with traditional...we like MTD and it very much ENHANCED our cruise experience ..... in NO WAY was it "plain old every day experience like you can have at home"

I think all those that are so worried should just experience their 1st cruise with Select Dining, if doing "traditional" I suspect you will be oblivious to the Select Dining section.........unless you go looking for it....

I have some great food on RCCL too, but the experience of the dining experience was diminished to some extent for us when we were overdressed and outnumbered by those who were not dressed as called for, which was no different that X calls for.

So with all that aside, if we think that as a result of the MTD introduction that it may lead to a more dressed down approach, I would like to know how the percentages of homogenization of dress evenings break down as a result on RCCL ships who had already lead the way to this approach.

Having experienced MTD on RC, formal night was just as formal in the area set aside for MTD as it was in the rest of the traditional dining room. The MTD area was the back corner of the second level of the dining room. (ooooh....lots of prepositional phrases there.....sorry) In both places there were those who chose not to follow the dress code, but they were quite in the minority.

On the MTD note, my experience was that MTD and traditional dining coexisted quite nicely, with neither negatively impacting the other. Everyone seemed to get what they wanted or what fit them best.

Interestingly, MTD became WAY more popular as the week went on. By the last couple of nights, it was nearly impossible to get a reservation between 6:30 and 7:30 PM. Tables were added and it became quite crowded. MTD was due to be enlarged the next week and that was certainly needed.

It seems to me that this is a debate over nothing, as the wishes of both groups of people can be met quite nicely. I'm sure if RC can do it well, Celebrity can do it better! Just a thought......

I am glad that Celebrity is going to Anytime Dining. We cruised on the Solstice a couple of weeks ago. The choice between early and late dining posed a real problem for us -- 6:15 is too early and 8:45 is too late. Luckily for us we were booked in AquaClass and discovered early on that you could come between 7 and 7:30 and still have plenty of time to eat.

We will be cruising on the Eclipse next June. Hopefully, by then they will have all the bugs ironed out and we will be able to "legally" dine at more reasonable times for us.

I doubt X would be introducing a flexible dining option if the need for it did not exist. We prefer traditional dining but have experienced flexible dining on both Princess and RCI and weren't as turned off as we thought we would be. While we traditionalists may favor maintaining the status quo on X, a significant cross-section of the cruising population insists on more flexibility than traditional dining can offer. To remain competitive in an increasingly competitive market, X is simply responding to that demand. Speculating the worst (or the best) and/or fear that the sky is falling is premature. The best bet is to take a wait and see approach until feedback begins to filter in.

This thread calls to mind something I find myself considering whenever I read these boards: I am pretty sure I have never disagreed with an opinion or posting rendered by dkjretired.

The devil is in the details, and while it is hard not to argue that "Everyone should just have a choice!", that position falls down -quite hard- when you peel back and examine the details, regardless of the subject of said 'choice'.

Thanks, wish I could get the wife to think like that....OMG, what am I thinking, that would never happen....

I admit, I shouldn't have used the word "boors". My bad.

However, I stand by the rest of what I wrote. You just don't get why we traditionalists prefer traditional dining. There, I said it again. And one more time: "You Don't Get It". Am I being rude enough for you now :o

Rick

Not rude, just childish at this point repeating the same thing over and over trying to avoid listening to what anyone else has to say.

I perfectly understand why YOU prefer traditional dining it's just that I don't personally agree with those reasons (again, banquet and weddings are not high dining, and I have been to a LOT of them). Just like I'm sure you understand why I and others prefer dining when we want, despite you probably not agreeing with those reasons. And that's what's great about the way Celebrity and others are handling this. It accomodates BOTH of these groups.

What I however do NOT understand is all the people saying that they never dress up at home and that's why they love traditional dining. If you like dressing up so much, why not do it at home?? Do you live in the middle of nowhere, in a place that doesn't even have a decent restaurant? Why do you feel you can only dress up while floating in an ocean? I often dress up to go out for a nice dinner but in most of those instances (aside from banquets and weddings), I know it's crazy to comprehend, but I tell the restaurant when I want to eat. Imagine that! :)

The bottom line is if you want ultra traditional there are lines that will happily accomodate you. Typically they will cost more but that's because those lines are appealing to a far smaller population which is exactly the reason Celebrity is moving forward with this. Whether you like it or not, the majority of PEOPLE prefer to dine when they want. While one could argue that the majority of CURRENT Celebrity cruisers prefer traditional, Celebrity want's to bring NEW customers in. Lots of customers keeps the prices down for all of us. If you don't like where things are going, check out www.cunard.com.

Archived