Where to eat in Denali?

forthe3boys

If you have a TourSaver or Northern Lights coupon books you can book the Cabin Night Dinner for 2-for-1. It was alright. Some of the show was really good, and funny. The food was only so-so. Since the entertainers were the servers the service was not great. (You eat family style with a table of about 10.) But it was a good show and interesting in that it taught you a lot about the area and the people who were first there.

We ate twice at the Salmon Bake and it was really good. Interesting set up (crooked floors and such) and very casual. Great drinks and food.

Hard choice. Go with what you think you will enjoy and what you might want.

For the 3 boys,

Not sure if your 3 boys will be with you or not...but we dined at the Salmon Bake on the strip called "Glitter Gulch" by folks on this board which is near the entrance to Denali National Park. We have 3 boys too and after a day of touring in the park, I didn't want them to have to sit through a long dinner and show. We ate one night at the McKinley Creekside Inn and one night at the Salmon Bake. We enjoyed both meals and didn't think the prices were outrageous, but then again, we're from the Boston area.

Not sure where the Grand McKinley Lodge is??? Just make sure it isn't the Princess McKinley Lodge -- which is far from the Denali entrance, despite the name. You wouldn't want to go to the Salmon Bake for dinner from there!!!

Happy Planning,

Lynne

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Alaska on Wednesday night and was in Denali on Sunday through Tuesday. We thought "Salmon Bake" in Glitter Gulch was good. Ate two meals there (a lunch and a dinner). However, if someone has a rental car like we did drive 8 miles north of Glitter gulch to just south of Healy and eat at the Black Dimond Restaurant on Otto Lake Road. Was very good. I had the baked halibut dinner and it was superb.

We also ate dinner at the Salmon Bake in Glitter Gulch and found the food to be very good - reasonably priced and large portions. I tried halibut tacos for the first time and they were excellent. The only negative here was that we ate upstairs in the bar area and had a bad server so would probably choose to eat downstairs if we returned.

We also had dinner at the Black Diamond Restaurant in Healy as did the previous poster. The food here was excellent but a little more pricey than the Salmon Bake. You would also need a vehicle to get there. We preferred this restaurant over the Salmon Bake.

We ate dinner at the McKinley Courtyard Cafe buffet on 8/5 for $64.70 for three. That's hard to beat and you can do it your own way, including soup, salad, dinner entrees and dessert. So much for the Alaska food prices horror stories.

In a way, I regret not going to the Cabin Night Show, but folks said it was hokey so I passed.

Alaska HAL Meal Plan

With a car, I have most always gone to the Perch, south of Denali park entrance. Always excellent food. I also like the Lazy J- IF they are still open?? in Cantwell.

We passed by the Lazy J on 9/2 and they were open but we did not stop.

I was actually impressed with the quantity and quality and price of the food at Rose's Cafe in Healy. We ate two breakfasts, two dinners and got our Denali sack lunches there. Huge meals, very tasty and fairly priced. Also, all of the deserts were homemade.

We ate dinner at the McKinley Courtyard Cafe buffet on 8/5 for $64.70 for three. That's hard to beat and you can do it your own way, including soup, salad, dinner entrees and dessert. So much for the Alaska food prices horror stories.

In a way, I regret not going to the Cabin Night Show, but folks said it was hokey so I passed.

Alaska HAL Meal Plan

You don't think $21 pp is a horror story? I think we paid $28 at most of the Westmark hotels, for dinner. And I do think that is high priced pp.

The only reason I stated I would have purchased the HAL meal plan is the convenience of the vouchers, just hand that to your waiter/waitress and no more worries.

I did read meal price horror stories on CC before we left on our trip. You better get the meal plan. You better get the meal plan! So I got the meal plan.

8 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 5 dinners. Figuring $18 for breakfasts, $15 for lunches and $50 for dinners, the total equals their $409 per person cost.

I didn't have one dinner that cost $50 and the maximum was $38. Besides, I could have survived on far less. It simply became obvious that the meal plan was not the bargain that it was hyped up to be.

We're considering an Alaska cruisetour on HAL next summer ... and I didn't realize that meals are extra on the land portion. Exactly what meals do you have to pay for on the land tour? Are you responsible for getting to and from the restaurants, and how do you do so when you have no car, since you're being transported by busses? Glad I found this thread.

We're considering an Alaska cruisetour on HAL next summer ... and I didn't realize that meals are extra on the land portion. Exactly what meals do you have to pay for on the land tour? Are you responsible for getting to and from the restaurants, and how do you do so when you have no car, since you're being transported by busses? Glad I found this thread.

Good thing you came to this board!!! You pay for all your meals on the interior portion, unless specifically noted an included meal. And yes, you pick and choose where you want to eat and get there yourself. You have a central drop off point. Budget 50% more for meals than you do at home.

From reports written by others on the cruisetours, it seems that most hotels have restaurants in them. I never read of anyone complaining they could not easily get to a restaurant on a cruisetour. The cruiseline will let you purchase a meal plan or you can buy your own. There are mixed reviews on this. One poster felt it was definitely a good deal to buy the meal plans. Others seemed to think it was not a good deal and you were better off paying as you went.

It is very important to read your trip brochures VERY CAREFULLY. We went on a bus tour in Europe which we absolutely loved. I read every single sentence in the tour book provided by the bus tour company. I had no surprises. I knew exactly what we were doing, what was included and what I would have to pay extra for. Nothing at all was misrepresented. It is up to you to learn what your trip includes. Many on our trip were very disappointed when they found out they had to pay extra for side trips and when they found out not all meals were included. However, not one complaint was valid, since everything was clearly laid out in the brochure. Most of the "clueless" travelers, just went to a travel agent, said they wanted to go to Europe, had the agent pick a trip, they paid for it and showed up. Sorry, you need to be responsible yourself for whatever you are buying. So, do your research and you, too, will have no surprises.

From reports written by others on the cruisetours, it seems that most hotels have restaurants in them. I never read of anyone complaining they could not easily get to a restaurant on a cruisetour. The cruiseline will let you purchase a meal plan or you can buy your own. There are mixed reviews on this. One poster felt it was definitely a good deal to buy the meal plans. Others seemed to think it was not a good deal and you were better off paying as you went.

It is very important to read your trip brochures VERY CAREFULLY. We went on a bus tour in Europe which we absolutely loved. I read every single sentence in the tour book provided by the bus tour company. I had no surprises. I knew exactly what we were doing, what was included and what I would have to pay extra for. Nothing at all was misrepresented. It is up to you to learn what your trip includes. Many on our trip were very disappointed when they found out they had to pay extra for side trips and when they found out not all meals were included. However, not one complaint was valid, since everything was clearly laid out in the brochure. Most of the "clueless" travelers, just went to a travel agent, said they wanted to go to Europe, had the agent pick a trip, they paid for it and showed up. Sorry, you need to be responsible yourself for whatever you are buying. So, do your research and you, too, will have no surprises.

The problem with Alaska cruisetours is beyond what is written. There is a lot that isn't "disclosed" or understood by most. Distances- big surprise and no clue as example of the "Direct to Denali" sales compaign. I will speculate, most do not know it's 10 hours on the train. As you know, the Denali Park information is lacking. Or people not knowing the difference in the lodges. I can't tell you how many private emails I get- "begging" me to give them an option for more access into Denali Park, because they booked 2 in McKinley lodge and only 1 in Denali. Etc etc etc etc.

We took a Princess 2 for 1 cruise/land tour in late August. We had 2 nights at McKinley Princess Lodge and one night at Denali. Our one day at Mckinley was full of fun activities and we ate all our meals at the Princess lodge...they were very good and more expensive than I would usually paid, but HEY I was on vacation and expected to pay more than the usual fast food fare. In Denali we were on the 9 hour TWT and had their snack meal which was not good at all...but the beauty of the park made up for it. Since I am a diabetic I took some of my own food. We ate a small breakfast the next morning at the lodge and then ate more on the 9 hour train ride. I loved the train ride and I did know about the lengthy ride because I read my intinerary over and over again that was posted online at the Princess website. I have to say that I have found that most people would find out more information about their schedules if they would read indepth what is posted online and talk to either the customer service people at Princess or their travel agent. Don't expect everything to be told to you, research your trip throughly, it will save you lots of surprises. CC is probably your number one point of reference. Don't get upset about the little things, just sit back and let Alaska take you away.:)

We just returned from a Princess cruisetour and had a spectacular time. The land portion is different since you are on your own for meals. We spent two nights at McKinley Lodge and 1 night at Denali. The train ride from Whittier, where the cruise ship disembarks, is 6 hours to Talkeetna and from there it's one hour on a motorcoach. The ride just flies by. The staff on the train is so enthusiastic and always on the outlook for wildlife. On the trip out we saw whales and various types of birds. On the trip back from Denali to Fairbanks (4 hrs.) we saw moose, Dall sheep, swans, bald eagles, etc. We ate in Talkeetna at the Roadhouse and got a delicious lunch that was very reasonable. We had breakfast and dinner at the lodge. The breakfast buffet at the lodge was so-so but dinner at the Alaska 20320 Restaurant was great so we had breakfast there on the 2nd morning. At Denali we did the dinner theatre and the food there was terrific. The show was goofy but can't complain about the food and there was plenty. Ribs, salmon, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, slaw, cake, etc. all served family style. While at Denali we walked across the road to the Salmon Bake for lunch and had delicious Halibut and chips! It was not that expensive. Food at the lodges is pricey but we got the cruisetour on the 2 for 1 deal so it wasn't that bad! We really liked McKinley lodge area better although we did enjoy the Natural History Tour at Denali. We saw a lot of wildlife and 5 hrs on that school bus was plenty for us! The above poster is correct. If you read the detailed itinerary from Princess you will have no surprises.

Archived