Mailing postcards in Alaska

Elde

I honestly don't know if you can mail them from the ship. But, why don't you just mail them from one of the ports you'll be visiting if what you want is an Alaskan postmark?

On every cruise that I've been on, you can always drop postcards off at the main desk in reception. Someone from the crew then drops off all the mail in whatever port you're currently docked at. Usually, there's a cut-off to drop off your postcards at the desk (typically, an hour before sailing) or else it won't get mailed until the next port.

On every cruise that I've been on, you can always drop postcards off at the main desk in reception. Someone from the crew then drops off all the mail in whatever port you're currently docked at. Usually, there's a cut-off to drop off your postcards at the desk (typically, an hour before sailing) or else it won't get mailed until the next port.

My experience is the same as John's.

One additional note. You do not need to take postage stamps. NCL will put the required postage on the card and charge it to your onboard account. This is helpful when you are in a foreign port and do not have to carry foreign postage.

One additional note. You do not need to take postage stamps. NCL will put the required postage on the card and charge it to your onboard account. This is helpful when you are in a foreign port and do not have to carry foreign postage.[/

Whoa, I cannot tell you how stellar this nugget of info is to me! Thanks, SeaShark! We're about to take our seventh cruise, and we've ended up mailing postcards once we got home for probably five of them (I daresay some of our friends found it kinda fishy to see a Virginia postmark when we were *supposed* to be on an Alaskan cruise...)

Thanks Johnql and Seashark!

I honestly don't know if you can mail them from the ship. But, why don't you just mail them from one of the ports you'll be visiting if what you want is an Alaskan postmark?

Because if part of the service I pay for is that they will them mail them for me - why take time out of my limited time to seek out a post office or drop box? This way, during our first sea day, we can address the cards drop them off in reception and be done.

No offense meant, I know it sounds kinda snarky, but it's the truth. I don't make my own meals onboard (except kinda sorta at the buffet if I choose to go), make my own drinks, etc... etc...

I mailed mine in Skagway. There was a drop mail box right outside the post office on the main street on shops. Our Chilkoot driver dropped us off very nearby there so it took about 30 seconds to drop them into the mail box.

And FYI, you can't mail things with US postal stamps from Carcross. I walked over to the post office to ask (I had brought post card stamps with me). Nope, couldn't do it. So I waited till we got to Skagway as mentioned above.

In both Juneau and Skagway, there was a post office within a block of the dock. Many people were mailing their gifts home. I didn't see a post office in Ketchikan but there is a mailbox right next to the big rain guage at the dock.

In Ketchikan, the Post Office is inside the Sears Store...I kid you not. I found post offices within a few blocks of where the ship docks in all the Alaska ports. It doesn't take all day (or even half of a day) to mail a few postcards.

Roz

My experience is the same as John's.

One additional note. You do not need to take postage stamps. NCL will put the required postage on the card and charge it to your onboard account. This is helpful when you are in a foreign port and do not have to carry foreign postage.

Hey guys thanks for that info! :) Now, I won't have to go searching for postage or a mailbox on our next cruise!

Archived