Pireaus to Athens

Offthebeatenpath

Our cruise in late August docks in Pireaus at 7AM. DH and I would like to beeline to the Acropolis to beat the crowds. There are four ships in port that day.

We can't decide how best to get to Athens, should we:

1) take the #843 bus/cab to the metro

2) take the X80 express - is the bus on time and will it be packed at 7:00am or 7:30am when we board the bus? I've read that this bus could take 60-90 minutes depending on traffic

3) book a private bus tour - I would choose this option if the other two options are unreliable or too crowded based on the 4 ships in port that day

We would have used the HOHO to Athens except it doesn't start operating until 8:30AM and we want to be in Athens by that time.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thank you!

We arranged a taxi with PKTravel Greece for the two of us before departing on our vacation. They were so easy to work with.

It was nice to know that we would have a private taxi arranged to meet us and whisk us to the Acropolis before all the other tours departed. The cost wasn't that much at all... more than a bus or a train, but not much considering the convenience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

During our first trip, we took a taxi to the Acropolis. We were able to fit the 4 of us fine with the missus and our friends in the back seat and me in the front. We went in October so no info on A/C.

We took the X80 during our second trip. It was full but not packed and we were lucky that our stop was the first stop so everyone essentially got seats. Plus it was also October so likely not as busy.

How many can fit in a taxi? 4 adults? Are they AC'd?

Thanks!

You could fit 4 normal sized adults but it probably wouldn't be comfortable for a day-long trip. If you're just going to Athens it should be fine.

All of the taxis I've taken in Athens (4 visits) have had A/C, but of course you could always run across one that doesn't...

We paid 25 euros for a taxi for four people last September. The driver gave us a mini tour on the journey in from Pireaus. We arrived at the Acropolis well before the crowds.

We used the Metro rail to get back to the ship which cost about 4 euro. It took about 30 minutes from the station beside the Acropolis museum and 15 minutes walk to the ship.

So there is a Metro transit as well, I'd think that is not going to be impacted by traffic. More details please, if an option? Post 9 states it's only a 15 minute walk to/from the ship? and the Metro is at the Acropolis? 8 euros round trip?

So there is a Metro transit as well, I'd think that is not going to be impacted by traffic. More details please, if an option? Post 9 states it's only a 15 minute walk to/from the ship? and the Metro is at the Acropolis? 8 euros round trip?

Saying it's a 15 minute walk is extremely optimistic. In my experience it's at least a 20-minute walk from the terminal, and your ship may be docked a distance further than that. One time it took about 45 minutes to walk it. (This was before there were a lot of the other current options that are now available.)

If you do a search for info on this board, there is a bus you can take TO the metro station, and then take the Green Line into Athens. However, if you are headed to the Acropolis first, you'll have to get off at Monastiraki, which is a less convenient point of entry than the Akropoli metro stop on the Red Line. So between the amount of time getting to the metro and the amount of time getting from metro to Acropolis, not sure it's going to be any faster/slower than going by bus or taxi.

How many can fit in a taxi? 4 adults? Are they AC'd?

Thanks!

If you arrange pickup with PK TravelGreece you can request a van. Their sedans are Mercedes so you probably can squeeze 4 in a little more comfortably than a yellow taxi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums