Your own soda- how does it work?

kristib2pea

First time cruiser on the Carnival Magic in July with all kinds of questions. So many I have been able to find answers to on these boards- thanks to everyone who chimes in and answers questions.

My question is about the soda you carry on. I read about people bringing their own wine into the MDR and having to pay an uncorking fee or something like that. If you bring your own soda- can you bring it with into the MDR and put it in one of their glasses with ice? Or is that super tacky? Sorry if that is a silly question, but I haven't been able to find out much about it in my searches.

Bring it with you and ask for a glass of ice.

I don't know about tacky, but I don't really care either.

It can take FOREVER to get a drink from the drink servers and I want mine as soon as I sit down.

Now if you want the free drinks in the MDR, tea, lemonade, or whatever, your table servers will take care of that.

If you bring your own soda- can you bring it with into the MDR and put it in one of their glasses with ice? Or is that super tacky? Sorry if that is a silly question, but I haven't been able to find out much about it in my searches.

I would find this tacky myself and wouldn't want my wife or kids doing this.

Walking around the ship or at the pool having my own soda in a cup is one thing,,, taking my own beverages or food to a dining establishment and asking them to serve it to me is another.

I would be disappointed if I paid what most cruise lines charge and had to bring my own tipple of choice on board. :eek: A special wine, spirit or liqueur I can understand but surely all types of fizz and juice should be available?

First time cruiser on the Carnival Magic in July with all kinds of questions. So many I have been able to find answers to on these boards- thanks to everyone who chimes in and answers questions.

My question is about the soda you carry on. I read about people bringing their own wine into the MDR and having to pay an uncorking fee or something like that. If you bring your own soda- can you bring it with into the MDR and put it in one of their glasses with ice? Or is that super tacky? Sorry if that is a silly question, but I haven't been able to find out much about it in my searches.

While it may seem tacky to bring soda to the MDR it doesn't violate any standing order and no corkage fee will be applied. haven't tried it myself because I enjoy water with my dinner but I don't see a problem in doing so.

I would be disappointed if I paid what most cruise lines charge and had to bring my own tipple of choice on board. :eek: A special wine, spirit or liqueur I can understand but surely all types of fizz and juice should be available?

Nope. Carnival carries Coke products only so if you're a Diet Mountain Dew lover like me, you bring it or do without. I happily bring it in a rolling suitcase.

BTW, wine (one bottle per guest 21 years and older), soda, and water is the only drink allowed to be taken on board. No spirits or liqueurs allowed (violation of the cruise contract). Wine is only charged a corkage fee if consumed in the MDR and even then sometimes they don't charge the corkage fee. They will also store any partial bottle in the MDR for your next evening's meal if you like as well.

Edited by Out to sea!

Hmm, tacky to bring your own can of choice to dinner? Who cares - it's your cruise. Bring whatever you like to drink and enjoy your cruise.

Last cruise we took our own drink products, along with water. It worked great for us - ask for ice, open your can of choice, pour it in our souvenir Carnival cup and enjoy.

They do not carry what I like to drink, but I used to just order what they had. Sometimes, no lie, dessert would be there before I got a coke. That was what was unacceptable to me. First off, I do not really like Coke but if I have to drink it, I want it when I sit down. Not an hour later.

It is not a problem for me, so I will take what I like to drink onboard and I will take it to the MDR or the buffet with me. My only problem with any cruise I have been on is solved.

On your first night at the MDR, ask for a glass of ice to be at your table every night and it will be there. I also take a carnival lidded cup (bought in the gift shop) that I fill with ice and carry everywhere with me. I am an iced tea drinker so dinner is not a problem, but I have soda during the day and carry a couple of cans with me.

Tacky.

My husband pours his glass of wine, and I fill up a soda with ice in the cabin and then we walk to dinner.

Since they look identical to if we got them at the bar, I don't see it as tacky at all, and it sure takes less time than trying to get it from a dining room server!

We did have a bar waitress joke with us once that we were the "worst" table because we never ordered from her. But by Day 4 she'd just stop to talk to us, and not even ask us if we wanted a drink.

We both take Tervis tumblers with us when we cruise, for sodas, water, iced tea, etc. You can buy them at your local Bed, Bath and Beyond. You can also purchase them on board at either the Red Frog or Blue Iguana bars on the Lido deck. We're not Coke drinkers either. We prefer Diet Pepsi. On more than one occasion, prior to heading to the MDR, I've taken the time to put ice in my tumbler and pour in a Diet Pepsi to take with me. It's never been a problem, and I doubt if most people even notice it.

My husband pours his glass of wine, and I fill up a soda with ice in the cabin and then we walk to dinner.

Since they look identical to if we got them at the bar, I don't see it as tacky at all, and it sure takes less time than trying to get it from a dining room server!

We did have a bar waitress joke with us once that we were the "worst" table because we never ordered from her. But by Day 4 she'd just stop to talk to us, and not even ask us if we wanted a drink.

Granted, HOW one goes about doing this makes all the difference in the world. If I took my 2 liter Diet Mountain Dew bottle to the MDR and set it on the table and asked for a glass of ice it would definitely look more tacky than someone walking in with a wine glass with a liquid inside.

To me it is fine and not tacky. Now, coming to dinner in a wife beater shirt with underarm hair showing...that is tacky.

OP, either take the can with you or fill a glass before you go. Nothing against the rules.

And what if it was a European woman in a sundress? Still tacky? Not everyone is an American on board you know. ;)

Edited by Out to sea!

To me it is fine and not tacky. Now, coming to dinner in a wife beater shirt with underarm hair showing...that is tacky.

OP, either take the can with you or fill a glass before you go. Nothing against the rules.

Neither is picking your nose.

Who would even notice unless you that deep in somebody elses' business, which is a form of tackiness all its own.

I never thought of it but maybe for the benefit of my DH, who likes a soda with his dinner and would rather not wait 30 minutes to get, we will try it.

It's one can of soda. No big deal. Enjoy your cruise.

Who would even notice unless you that deep in somebody elses' business, which is a form of tackiness all its own.

I never thought of it but maybe for the benefit of my DH, who likes a soda with his dinner and would rather not wait 30 minutes to get, we will try it.

It's one can of soda. No big deal. Enjoy your cruise.

Who would notice, or who cares are different questions from is it tacky. ;)