Canadian Princess Cruisers

Gunner22aa

Hello everyone,

Quick question on passports, I know there is an answer somewhere on CC, but thought this would be quicker.

I am taking a cruise/tour to Alaska in September, passport expires Jan 2016, is this okay?

I read somewhere about a 6 month time left on passport when completing a cruise, but TA says it will be okay.

Just thought I would check with the experts on CC.

Thank you in advance.

I would renew anyhow, not like its hard or takes long. They take on the extra monhs anyhow, then you dont have to worry for 10 years

Good for you. I am just answering the posters question. Its Princess policy.

If they want to take a chance that's up to them.

I had confirmed this with Princess before I left and when I discovered the time left on my passport ..... which I would advise anyone who is in a similar position to do rather than reading posts from people who know nothing about the agreement between Canada and the U.S.

I had confirmed this with Princess before I left and when I discovered the time left on my passport ..... which I would advise anyone who is in a similar position to do rather than reading posts from people who know nothing about the agreement between Canada and the U.S.

I know right!! That's why I keep saying call Princess.

Its the policy for any Princess cruise worldwide. Nothing to do with Canada or the US.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Hello everyone,

Quick question on passports, I know there is an answer somewhere on CC, but thought this would be quicker.

I am taking a cruise/tour to Alaska in September, passport expires Jan 2016, is this okay?

I read somewhere about a 6 month time left on passport when completing a cruise, but TA says it will be okay.

Just thought I would check with the experts on CC.

Thank you in advance.

Hello Katies in beautiful West Kelowna. If you were to click in the attached links of the US Embassy to Canada and the US CBP you will see that you do not require a new passport to make this cruise. I would print this information and be prepared to show it the unlikely event you are erroneously challenged by a Princess check in person at Canada Place. If that is not successful then I would ask that a CBP officer be summoned. You may also care to phone Princess and check with them, given the type of advice they are inclined to provide if you get a negative answer keep calling until you get the correct answer then note the date, time and person you were speaking with. However the bottom is line is the there absolutely no reason whatsoever to renew your passport before you leave.

http://canada.usembassy.gov/service/frequently-asked-questions.html

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/619/~/visiting-the-u.s.---documents-required-for-canadian-citizens-%2F-residents-%2F

For 4 months? Why would you take the chance?:confused:

I would renew anyhow, not like its hard or takes long. They take on the extra monhs anyhow, then you dont have to worry for 10 years

I agree, it beats fighting with the Princess check in people who are just doing their job, or arguing with the CBP officer (really not bright at all) or to keep calling Princess over and over again as you will never get the right answer.

All that effort when you are supposed to be relaxed and going on a cruise.

Go figure.

Hello Katies in beautiful West Kelowna. If you were to click in the attached links of the US Embassy to Canada and the US CBP you will see that you do not require a new passport to make this cruise. I would print this information and be prepared to show it the unlikely event you are erroneously challenged by a Princess check in person at Canada Place. If that is not successful then I would ask that a CBP officer be summoned. You may also care to phone Princess and check with them, given the type of advice they are inclined to provide if you get a negative answer keep calling until you get the correct answer then note the date, time and person you were speaking with. However the bottom is line is the there absolutely no reason whatsoever to renew your passport before you leave.

http://canada.usembassy.gov/service/frequently-asked-questions.html

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/619/~/visiting-the-u.s.---documents-required-for-canadian-citizens-%2F-residents-%2F

Thank you Putterdude, in beautiful Sechelt, B.C.

I called Princess, and you are correct. We Canadians can use our passports up until expiry date. Thank you for the links.

Hope this helps Canadians if they had passport questions.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Have a great day!!

Thank you Putterdude, in beautiful Sechelt, B.C.

I called Princess, and you are correct. We Canadians can use our passports up until expiry date. Thank you for the links.

Hope this helps Canadians if they had passport questions.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Have a great day!!

I am happy you called and things worked out for you, there is no point in wasting those months of your passport....unlike the Brits we get no credit for unused months and as you likely know passports seem to get more expensive each year. I just sent mine off a week ago for renewal and it was $160 for the 10 year edition. I really don't think you will have an issue with the Princess rep at the check-in counter and I have found both CBP and CBSA officers over the years very to be very intelligent and good to deal with. That notwithstanding, I would still print up the information in links and have it in my hip pocket just in case.

Have a great cruise and wave to me as you sail by Sechelt....I will be watching for you, I am normally by the barbeque with a drink my hand waving as the ships go by....tonight it was the Pacific Princess and the Disney Wonder that went by at about 6:30 pm.

Edited by Putterdude

I just returned from a coastal and my passport expires in August. At check in, when they scan the passport, a pop up appears to "warn" the check in clerk that there is less than 6 months until the passport expires (I used to do this job, so know first hand what appears on their screen). This is VERY important if you are a holder of a passport that REQUIRES a minimum of 6 months to enter the US. Canadian passport holders are not subject to this requirement, but the rep may well inform you that your passport expires soon, but shouldn't prevent you from checking in! Be patient if they don't know the rules...especially if it is the beginning of the season and they are new to the job!:p

I just returned from a coastal and my passport expires in August. At check in, when they scan the passport, a pop up appears to "warn" the check in clerk that there is less than 6 months until the passport expires (I used to do this job, so know first hand what appears on their screen). This is VERY important if you are a holder of a passport that REQUIRES a minimum of 6 months to enter the US. Canadian passport holders are not subject to this requirement, but the rep may well inform you that your passport expires soon, but shouldn't prevent you from checking in! Be patient if they don't know the rules...especially if it is the beginning of the season and they are new to the job!:p

It's funny, I was looking at a post of yours the other night and I thought you were the Cheilidh that used to work for Princess at Canada Place and provided us with sage insights as to what was going on there. Just want you to know you are missed and I hope you and your young family is doing well.

............. as you likely know passports seem to get more expensive each year. I just sent mine off a week ago for renewal and it was $160 for the 10 year edition. .............

I think $16/year and only having to go through renewal and getting new pics once every 10 years is a very decent bargain.

It's funny, I was looking at a post of yours the other night and I thought you were the Cheilidh that used to work for Princess at Canada Place and provided us with sage insights as to what was going on there. Just want you to know you are missed and I hope you and your young family is doing well.

Aww, thanks! I am still on here, especially when planning a cruise, but no longer working at Canada Place! I still go there often and keep in touch with most of the folks I used to work with. I was actually going to return this year, but there were some major changes (mainly that the staff no longer work for Princess but an agency) so I decided to hold off and see how things go! Maybe next season!

For those needing or considering renewing their Canadian Passport, the Passport Canada website is suggesting a renewal takes 20 working days to process if done by mail excluding mailing time. My new 10 year passport arrived yesterday, by mail in 20 days including mailing time. While I am happy with the turnaround time, for $160 they should be able to turn them around quickly.

Just one more reminder if you do receive a new passport and have Nexus/Global Entry you do need to update the passport information on the Nexus/Global Entry site. It's also a good idea to update the information on My Princess site as well as airline sites where you have profiles on file.

For those needing or considering renewing their Canadian Passport, the Passport Canada website is suggesting a renewal takes 20 working days to process if done by mail excluding mailing time. My new 10 year passport arrived yesterday, by mail in 20 days including mailing time. While I am happy with the turnaround time, for $160 they should be able to turn them around quickly.

Just one more reminder if you do receive a new passport and have Nexus/Global Entry you do need to update the passport information on the Nexus/Global Entry site. It's also a good idea to update the information on My Princess site as well as airline sites where you have profiles on file.

Hi Everyone:

If you fill out the information on-line and take it with you to a Passport office(if one is near you), it will take no longer than 10 working days. We did ours that way and it took 8 working days for it to arrive in the mail via Canada Post Courier, at our residence.

Anyway, it's what is convenient to you that should determine which process you use.

Have a great cruise veryone:

Hi Everyone:

If you fill out the information on-line and take it with you to a Passport office(if one is near you), it will take no longer than 10 working days. We did ours that way and it took 8 working days for it to arrive in the mail via Canada Post Courier, at our residence.

Anyway, it's what is convenient to you that should determine which process you use.

Have a great cruise veryone:

No question that is better and most expeditious way of doing it. When I worked in downtown Vancouver I always did that although there was often a waiting line of up to an hour. Now that I am retired and live in Sechelt, BC, it would take me the better part of a day to get into Vancouver, $75 in ferry fare, parking fees of $10 .... so the mail is rather attractive. There is option of taking your app to a Service Canada office and certain Post Offices but that is no more time efficient then mail. Here is a link to the Passport Canada website re processing times.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/times.asp

No question that is better and most expeditious way of doing it. When I worked in downtown Vancouver I always did that although there was often a waiting line of up to an hour. Now that I am retired and live in Sechelt, BC, it would take me the better part of a day to get into Vancouver, $75 in ferry fare, parking fees of $10 .... so the mail is rather attractive. There is option of taking your app to a Service Canada office and certain Post Offices but that is no more time efficient then mail. Here is a link to the Passport Canada website re processing times.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/times.asp

We renewed our last passports at the local Canada Services Office. The passports arrived via priority post in 10 days. They post a sign in the office as to when you can expect to received your passport.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

We renewed our last passports at the local Canada Services Office. The passports arrived via priority post in 10 days. They post a sign in the office as to when you can expect to received your passport.

No Service Canada Office on the Sunshine Coast, the closest is North Vancouver, next closest Powell River both of which requires a ferry trip and fare ....the extra 10 days I can live with. Glad you got yours in 10 days, Passport Canada's website currently says 20 days per the link above.

Sent from my iPad while overlooking the Strait of Georgia

i booked about a month ago for a aslaka land and cruise tour. leaving next week. I was able to order OBC at 10%. Also i booked a couple excursion with princess and because its 21 days before departure i was billed right away. On the website the price is in USD but on my cc iwas charged at par. No idea why but i'm pretty happy about it :)

Good to know!! Thanks

i booked about a month ago for a aslaka land and cruise tour. leaving next week. I was able to order OBC at 10%. Also i booked a couple excursion with princess and because its 21 days before departure i was billed right away. On the website the price is in USD but on my cc iwas charged at par. No idea why but i'm pretty happy about it :)

Just a quick note about Princess gift cards. I called Princess and asked about the exchange rate and was told it would be at $1.10 for $1.00. As you can get up to $10,000 each I thought that it would help with next years cruise.I ordered a $1000 one to check the system, good job, as when I checked the Visa, it had been debited at $1266. I called Princess and they said that they have no control over the gift cards and that the only way to get the better exchange rate was to put money as OBC. Lesson learned!!!

Just a quick note about Princess gift cards. I called Princess and asked about the exchange rate and was told it would be at $1.10 for $1.00. As you can get up to $10,000 each I thought that it would help with next years cruise.I ordered a $1000 one to check the system, good job, as when I checked the Visa, it had been debited at $1266. I called Princess and they said that they have no control over the gift cards and that the only way to get the better exchange rate was to put money as OBC. Lesson learned!!!

Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased online some OBC today. You buy it in Canadian for $120. It shows up in my Cruise Personalizer as $120. I am assuming this will be for $100 US as our cruise is in February and I paid a 20% exchange rate.

Has anyone purchased this online and can confirm if it is $100 US? I know I can phone Princess, but the chances are, they won't know what I am talking about. I just don't want to find out come February that the exchange rate for the $120 will be based on the rate of the day - which is okay if our dollar goes up :)

Thanks!

I purchased online some OBC today. You buy it in Canadian for $120. It shows up in my Cruise Personalizer as $120. I am assuming this will be for $100 US as our cruise is in February and I paid a 20% exchange rate.

Has anyone purchased this online and can confirm if it is $100 US? I know I can phone Princess, but the chances are, they won't know what I am talking about. I just don't want to find out come February that the exchange rate for the $120 will be based on the rate of the day - which is okay if our dollar goes up :)

Thanks!

Pre-purchased OBC is sold in denominations of $100 US dollars so when you get onboard your account will have $100 US credit!

The rate won't change again. You bought $100 US. It doesn't show up in the cruise personalizer though. Maybe they emailed you a receipt where it shows as $120 Canadian in one place and as $100 US OBC in another place on the receipt?

Terry

this is what the receipt says:

Thank you for planning your cruise vacation with Princess Cruises. Please keep this email as confirmation of your onboard reservations payment on the credit card shown below. We look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Payment Summary

Details for this transaction for your Visa Card ending with xxxx

Charge amount: $120.00

So it doesn't really say in US funds. And surprisingly, it is in the Onboard Reservations section, it does show that a Onboard credit was purchased for $120. I just think it is a good way by purchasing a bit every month. Thanks for your replies!