Just off Caribbean Princess - Fjords of Norway & North Cape...ask any questions

bassmaster150

I saw two types of electrical outlets by the mirror in front of the desk. One had two small holes in it like the ones for European appliances. I don't know if the outlet would fit British appliances, though, and I did not check to find out what type of outlet it was. I was very sad to learn from a crew member that the passenger with the medical emergency passed away on the ship.

This is the normal setup at the desk on the CB. Just USA style outlets.

890216%20084%202.16.14%20Cabin%20E121%20phone%20hair%20dryer%20electrical%20outlets%20DSC06158_zpsciu8fcrl.jpg

do you have picture of the fjords do they speak English or kinda broken

I was on the same cruise. Not here to answer questions, but here are few of the picture highlights. I'll work on the rest of the pictures when I'm less jet-lagged. I will post my own thread when all the pictures are ready. Stay tune.

A%20-%20Stavanger%2013_zps4tos6fwz.jpg

Stavanger - Pulpit Rock

D%20-%20Trollstigen%2007_zps1elh2fqs.jpg

Andalsnes - Trollstigen

D%20-%20%20Geiranger%2003_zpshw0hwk8v.jpg

Andalsnes - Geiranger

G%20-%20Reinebriggen%2008B_zpsqmuyqesw.jpg

Lofoten Island - Reine

H%20-%20Fjords%2005C_zpspydxqycf.jpg

Aalesund - Fjord drive scenery

H%20-%20Aalesund%2013_zpshek8zz1b.jpg

Aalesund - City from viewpoint

Thanks a lot for the info. Definitely we need adaptors. Good to know before departure.

And if your devices only can use 220V, then these 110V outlets will not help you much.

(There is a 220V mainland Europe outlet in the bathroom for shavers.)

On other Princess ships we have used a British adaptor and then run a four socket short extension lead off this. We find this works fine for charging our appliances such as iPad and phones but they take more time than at home. With larger appliances including hair dryers and straighteners we use those with dual wattage. We found these were readily available with a bit of research as many mainstream products come with this facility.:)

We were on this cruise and agree with all the above. It was our 7th visit to this wonderful part of the world.

We would however had liked a bit more information from the bridge, The Captain was non-existent. The cruise log we received at the end of the cruise was full of errors, apparently between Trondheim and Honningsvag we "passed through the Dover straights" And on the back page there is a "Farewell message from the Bridge" saying "It has been a great pleasure to have you onboard EMERALD Princess" Maybe that's where the Captain was.

As an aside, How do you get your photos so large on here, every time I put one on it comes up as a Thumbnail.:confused::confused:

Happy Cruising

John

We were on this cruise and agree with all the above. It was our 7th visit to this wonderful part of the world.

We would however had liked a bit more information from the bridge, The Captain was non-existent. The cruise log we received at the end of the cruise was full of errors, apparently between Trondheim and Honningsvag we "passed through the Dover straights" And on the back page there is a "Farewell message from the Bridge" saying "It has been a great pleasure to have you onboard EMERALD Princess" Maybe that's where the Captain was.

As an aside, How do you get your photos so large on here, every time I put one on it comes up as a Thumbnail.:confused::confused:

Happy Cruising

John

I pointed that out to my wife....someone became a little cut/paste happy and didn't do some proofreading apparently.....

I was on the same cruise. Not here to answer questions, but here are few of the picture highlights. I'll work on the rest of the pictures when I'm less jet-lagged. I will post my own thread when all the pictures are ready. Stay tune.

The photos are not showing anymore? :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The photos are not showing anymore? :(

SO I just checked the thread and I see them...is anyone else having issues?

They are hosted on photobucket....hopefully there is nothing I need to do there to make sure they share correctly.

Edited by bassmaster150

SO I just checked the thread and I see them...is anyone else having issues?

They are hosted on photobucket....hopefully there is nothing I need to do there to make sure they share correctly.

Sorry I was referring to OceanPrince's post #29.

Think those are his photos from the same cruise. :o

I agree that the scenery was the most beautiful I have ever seen. I would love to go back but maybe not go up as far as North Cape and to find a cruise that gets to Geiranger.

That is so very sad that the person passed away.Condolences to the family.

The Crew was polite and helpful for the most part.The future cruise office was open only briefly and the lines were very long all the time.We did buy a FCC but were never able to find anyone in the office.The excursion desk was right across from the FC office and the line was very long there too.

We particularly enjoyed the Hostess in the Coral dining room.We had anytime dining but went to that dining room to be seated after 7:15 PM.as we like to have a table for 2.It would have been even better if the windows had been washed and you could see out. They were terrible in the Coral dining room and in the International Cafe.We do not do the Buffet so I don't know if they were better there or not.

We had a large CC group and it was fun to share tours and meet others from the Roll Call at our M & G.

We were on Aloha deck in cabin A338.When we were walking to our cabin the first day I noticed the sewer smell that people talk about.It was brief and we only noticed it 2 times in all.The carpeting in our cabin was stained and needs replacement.The showers were tiny and if you were a large person you would have a problem.The balcony had flaking paint and was not kept very clean.There was 2 different times on the cruise where a large number of toilets stopped working totally for several hours. Both times when reported they said they were working on it and by the next morning they were working again..I have heard that the ship is scheduled for dry dock and she desperately needs it.I would not cruise on this ship again until she has been to dry dock and refurbished and repaired.

All in all no matter how much work the ship needs I think that Norway must be the most beautiful place in the world.

I have heard that the ship is scheduled for dry dock and she desperately needs it.I would not cruise on this ship again until she has been to dry dock and refurbished and repaired.

Where did you hear this? I would like to understand more info on this before I book for summer 2016.

I have heard that the ship is scheduled for dry dock and she desperately needs it.I would not cruise on this ship again until she has been to dry dock and refurbished and repaired.

Where did you hear this? I would like to understand more info on this before I book for summer 2016.

We were in Dolphin 610 which is a mini suite...no issues there....we have been on many ships in our time as cruisers, and I didn't see anything that was overly telling me that the ship needed a dry dock.....all ships age at sea, abd I think the CP is well taken care of...and I will second the fact the Norway has to be the most beautiful place in the world....More of Olden below:

DSC_1578.jpg

DSC_1580.jpg

I heard it at our M & G for our roll call from other cruisers. Don't know for sure that it is true. There are several reviews just posted that talk about the "odor" and the rust and flaking paint.

Bassmaster I take it that there were no problems with the toilets not flushing on Dolphin like there was on Aloha? Glad there wasn't.

I heard it at our M & G for our roll call from other cruisers. Don't know for sure that it is true. There are several reviews just posted that talk about the "odor" and the rust and flaking paint.

Bassmaster I take it that there were no problems with the toilets not flushing on Dolphin like there was on Aloha? Glad there wasn't.

Never had a single issue...sorry to hear that those on Aloha did. :(

Loved your photos. I have never found the tours that they offer on the ship really worth it. Would you be willing to share the tours you took and the ones you really recommend.

All the tours we took were ship tours through Princess....the reason we do ship tours is because they hold this ship if you are late. There were three tours where we returned over 30 minutes late....yes, they cost more, but I would rather not watch the ship leaving from shore. :-)

OK...Here goes:

Stavanger:

1. Iron Age Farm & Stavanger Cathedral - guide was awesome, tour not so much...probably should have done the petroleum museum. Rating - meh

2. Cruise Along Lysefjord - this was excellent....this was our first taste of the fjords and although this one is not extravagant like the others, it was cool to see the Preachers Pulpit from below, and all of the cool scenery. Rating - Very Good

Olden:

1. Lovatnet Lake & Kjenndalen Glacier - the scenery here is breathtaking...we were speechless...and the Norwegian waffles are really good as well :-) I would recommend this tour to anyone. Rating - Excellent

2. Oldevatnet Scenic Cruise - Again, the scenery was breathtaking...we really liked this tour, and we would recommend to anyone. Rating - Excellent

Flaam:

1. Aurland Valley & Aurlandfjord Scenic Drive - very picturesque....but there is more to see here....Rating - Good

2. Naeroyfjord Cruise & Scenic Drive - one must cruise the Naeroyfjord as it is a UNESCO site, and the scenery is amazing...lots of large waterfalls here. Rating - Excellent

Andalsnes:

1. This tour is an all day tour that takes you through the valleys, and along the fjords. After lunch you wind your way up to Trollsteigens for the breathtaking view, and then head down the Troll Road which is incredible. You end at the Troll Wall which is breathtaking.....one note on this though is that we did not have a good guide on the first time (you will understand later). Rating - Excellent

Trondheim:

1. Thamshavn Railway, Lxkken Mine & City Drive - Was not to impressed with this tour until we went into the city and stopped by the Cathedral and Love & Luch bridge. Our guide was really good though. Rating - meh

Honningsvag:

1. North Cape Hall & North Cape Cliffs - This tour was actually very fun. Spending time at the North Cape, and seeing the cliffs is breathtaking. It was very cold the morning we were there, and we also built one of those rock towers that you will see everywhere. Rating - Excellent

2. Gallery East Of The Sun & Honningsvag Ice Bar - WHen we arrived at the Gallery East of the Sun, we didn't go inside (it is an art gallery I guess). We opted to climb a mountain and take some really cool photos of the surrounding fishing village. As for the Honningsvag Ice Bar...well, its an ice bat. You put on a coat, go inside, get a drink (non-alcoholic), and everything inside including the glasses is made from ice. Rating - Good

Tromso:

1. Tromso Highlights - Tromso is a very beautiful city. We went to the Arctic Cathedral which is pretty cool, but the key here is to go up the cable car....the views from up there are spectacular. After that, we went to some Tromso museum which was not the greatest around. One of the cool highlights of this drive is the tunnel system under Tromso...there are multiple tunnels with MULTIPLE ROUNDABOUTS all underground...it is really cool Rating Very Good (because of the cable car and the tunnels)

Gravdal (Lofoten Islands):

1. Flakstad Church, Sund & Nusfjord - This was a cool excursion simply because of the breathtaking scenery that you drive through. We wanted to do an all day excursion here, so we picked this one. Rating - Excellent

Allesund:

1. Trollstigen & Valldal - Ok, so this is where we kind of messed up...but really didn't. When we booked our tours, we read everything and decided to do this one....this is the EXACT same tour as the one we took in Aldansnes....but this time we had a REALLY GOOD GUIDE. The weather was slightly better, and because I am a landscape photographer, I was able to take some better shots than I did the first time. Rating - Excellent

Bergen:

1. Mt. Flxien Funicular & Hike - we were only in Bergen for a short time, but we wanted to get some really good views of the city, so we did the Funicular, as well as a hike up higher. Since we ate an absolute ton of food on the ship, we really needed some exercise, so we did the hike...it is about a 5 mile hike, and in some spots you go up really steep parts of the trail, but the views (when there are no clouds) are pretty cool. After this excursion, we hung out downtown and had lunch before heading back to the ship. Our guide was really good. Rating - Excellent

If you want more particulars on each excursion, just ask....and just in case, meh means just ok....not earth shattering or anything like that....