Island Princess Sail In to Venice

lovey1103

We will be sailing on the Island in October and with the refit and what sounds like a reduction in viewing areas, any suggestion as to the best location for a Venice sail in?

For those of you reading this who will be on the October 1st Barcelona to Venice, check out our roll call.! Edited by lovey1103

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I haven't been to Venice yet, but I'd guess for sail [U]in[/U], you'd want to be forward, not aft. I'd check out the open viewing areas on Baja or Caribe -- walk all the way forward down either the port or starboard corridor, to where the passageway ends in a wooden door which looks like a crew door you aren't supposed to open. Open it, go through a tiny vestibule and through another door and you're outside. From here, you have great views over the bow and you will be able to see to both sides, too.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='rdsqrl'][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I haven't been to Venice yet, but I'd guess for sail [U]in[/U], you'd want to be forward, not aft. I'd check out the open viewing areas on Baja or Caribe -- walk all the way forward down either the port or starboard corridor, to where the passageway ends in a wooden door which looks like a crew door you aren't supposed to open. Open it, go through a tiny vestibule and through another door and you're outside. From here, you have great views over the bow and you will be able to see to both sides, too.

[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
That would be my first choice & also on any of the open decks primarily on the starboard (right) side of the ship arriving in Venice. We've enjoyed a couple of sailings into & out of Venice and they were great.

[quote name='Astro Flyer']That would be my first choice & also on any of the open decks [COLOR=Red]primarily[/COLOR] on the starboard (right) side of the ship arriving in Venice. We've enjoyed a couple of sailings into & out of Venice and they were great.[/quote]

Primarily, yes.

But there are good views on both sides, so share your time between starboard and port.

[quote name='caribill']Primarily, yes.

But there are good views on both sides, so share your time between starboard and port.[/QUOTE]

When I said "primarily" that didn't mean "only" & it's always good to wander. :rolleyes: Edited by Astro Flyer

I have sailed only into Venice, and the captain sneaked in in the middle of the night so we saw not much. I have seen ships sailing out of Venice on other occasions, and the port side was facing San Marco, as I recall. That is a surreal sight, BTW, that giant ship in that historic setting.