Koningsdam Veranda vs Vista Suite

FrankNJ

Hello all . Considering a ride on Koningsdam 12/14 and looking at staterooms , don't really see much difference between veranda and vista suites . Any thoughts ? SY suites seemed overpriced . Is there a good walking area on the ship without the wrap around promenade deck . thanks .

Vista Suite gives you somewhat more real estate (and double mariner cruise night credits), but a deck 4 balcony gives you a deeper balcony, which is probably better value for money.

Deck 3 has a complete wrap around promenade. It is narrow in some places, to be sure, but it still fully encircles the ship.

Hello all . Considering a ride on Koningsdam 12/14 and looking at staterooms , don't really see much difference between veranda and vista suites . Any thoughts ? SY suites seemed overpriced . Is there a good walking area on the ship without the wrap around promenade deck . thanks .

I am in the same position. I am new to HAL and booked a Vista Suite for July 2017. It was only $100 per person more and seems to have a bit more space, so I figure it's worth it. But it is also, for me, a better location on the ship. But from what I can tell it seems a Vista Suite is just a bit larger Verandah. So I suppose it comes down to location and cost. But I will be following this thread.

I'm looking forward to having the bed by the balcony and the ability to have room service without them having to walk by the bed when delivering breakfast. I may or may not bed location but we'll find out in December :). We sure are looking forward to experiencing everyhting the new ship has to offer.

didn't like that the Vista had the bed next to the balcony and we prefer the seating area there and the bed closer to the bathroom. There was a big difference in price for 21 day cruise.

I suppose that bed placement is a pretty subjective thing, as DW and I are the opposite; we both prefer the bed by the balcony. That gives us more room when we are getting dressed in the morning or getting changed later in the day. That said, we've never chosen one cabin over another based on bed placement, and are happy to be on a cruise wherever the bed may be! :)

Had a deck 4 verandah on our 24 day cruise. Loved the large verandah area! The room was smaller than verandahs we have had on other ships, but there was plenty of storage space and we never felt crowded. Enjoy whatever you pick! Koningsdam is a beautiful ship!

thanks for all the replies . just booked a veranda suite on deck 6. We like the idea of room service , and us , not having to walk around the bed all the time . the little more room will also be nice . We love to sit on the veranda but don't mind if it's cozy . Have read the food was great so love to hear that . Looks like a beautiful new ship . Last HAL cruise was Zuiderdam in 2012 , also a beautiful ship.

Just a heads up, but it appears that unless you enjoy dining while sitting on the bed, all cabins below the Neptune Suite level do not have a table that is suitable for dining. I state that this appears to be this way as I have not traveled on the ship yet, but my research seems to indicate this to be so. Like you, we also enjoy room service but don't think we will be availing of it much on the K.

Just a heads up, but it appears that unless you enjoy dining while sitting on the bed, all cabins below the Neptune Suite level do not have a table that is suitable for dining. I state that this appears to be this way as I have not traveled on the ship yet, but my research seems to indicate this to be so. Like you, we also enjoy room service but don't think we will be availing of it much on the K.

Yes, dining in a balcony stateroom didn't work for us. Room service is a perk we love when we sail so the absence of a place to enjoy this on K'dam was very disappointing. The tiny cube coffee table just isn't meant for dining.

Are the tables any smaller than in comparable cabins on other ships in the HAL fleet?

Are the tables any smaller than in comparable cabins on other ships in the HAL fleet?

Sadly, yes. Rather than a small coffee table that elevates to serve as an in-room dining table, all you get is one tiny cube shaped coffee table that is of fixed height. It didn't work for dining for us at all. I've never seen this on any other HAL ship.

Sadly, yes. Rather than a small coffee table that elevates to serve as an in-room dining table, all you get is one tiny cube shaped coffee table that is of fixed height. It didn't work for dining for us at all. I've never seen this on any other HAL ship.

Maybe this is HALs way of discouraging room service. My Mom uses a walker and we usually order room service for breakfast. The Buffet is not an option. I'm not sure how we will do breakfast in the room. Perhaps I will serve her on the desk. I suppose the tray will have to go on the bed. This works in a balcony cabin. However, if you are in an interior you don't even get a chair! The interiors only get one cube ottoman.

Maybe we could do something crazy like bring in the little veranda table for meals ?

I'm assuming there are 2 chairs and a table out there . Or we could eat on the veranda ?

In the morning we usually just order coffee and maybe a little fruit anyway , Only probably have a full meal in the room if someone isn't feeling well . Although HAL did used to have a very good room service club sandwich . We'll see what we find on KDam .

Maybe we could do something crazy like bring in the little veranda table for meals ?

I'm assuming there are 2 chairs and a table out there . Or we could eat on the veranda ?

In the morning we usually just order coffee and maybe a little fruit anyway , Only probably have a full meal in the room if someone isn't feeling well . Although HAL did used to have a very good room service club sandwich . We'll see what we find on KDam .

We had a very large balcony on K'dam but the only table out there was a low, extremely small side table. I can't imagine using it for dining but it would hold your coffee cups but not much else. There truly was no place where we could dine or deal with anything on a room service tray in our balcony stateroom which was a disappointment.

we can do breakfast in our cabin. We can use the balcony square for drinks, snacks and ash tray. or a cup of coffee in the morning.

No, our stateroom did not have the table that adjusts hence the problem I've described. You have to eat off the tiny, low (fixed height) cube style coffee table.

Just got off the Koningsdam from a Vista suite on Sunday.Also viewed a verandah during the cruise so could see the difference. The Vista suite is longer with the bed next to the balcony which suited us as we were travelling with our 11 year old son who was sleeping in the sofa bed. It gave us access to the balcony when he was sleeping without disturbing him. One major difference was that below our balcony (and as far as I could see for all midship vista cabins) there were no lifeboats below our cabin so we had a clear view to the sea unlike the verandah cabins. We were definitely happy with our choice

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01L using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just got off the Koningsdam from a Vista suite on Sunday.Also viewed a verandah during the cruise so could see the difference. The Vista suite is longer with the bed next to the balcony which suited us as we were travelling with our 11 year old son who was sleeping in the sofa bed. It gave us access to the balcony when he was sleeping without disturbing him. One major difference was that below our balcony (and as far as I could see for all midship vista cabins) there were no lifeboats below our cabin so we had a clear view to the sea unlike the verandah cabins. We were definitely happy with our choice

Was the table in your vista suite useful for room service?. Looks too small to me. We will be in Vista room in Dec. still excited to sail on this ship.

We never use room service but I think the answer is no. The balcony for us is a place to have a drink and watch the world float by. One person could use the desk and chair but not a second person

• 3 weeks later...