What the h*** on June 17 Viking, Castles & Kings

Chumby

Paul I am looking for your video :D.

We went through the sound last year on the similar O cruise on Nautica. It was a very beautiful scenic trip.

I do have one from our trip in the area but don't know how/don't wish to post it :D

• 1 month later...

Just back from Insignia's Montreal to London. We lost 1 port in Greenland & Iceland and didn't get to the Artic Circle. But we did get to ports in each country. There were also significant changes to port times which effected our independent touring in many ports. No attempt to justify the changes in port times.

I have said this before...of all the lines I have cruised Oceania has far more port cancellations and alterations than any other. I know there are always unforeseen conditions but why does Oceania encounter so many more than other cruise lines?

They won the coin toss with Regent and got an easy way to cut costs.

OP: They are properly refunding all the port fees and taxes for missed stops aren't they?

:eek: And we picked Oceania because they are visiting (in the Caribbean) 3 ports of call that we have never been to, nor can the larger cruiseships visit. I hope we don't encounter cancellations and changes in mid February.:(

In all of our 30 + cruises, we have only missed two ports because of a hurricane (Wilma) that knocked out a pier in Cozumel and the hurricane's projected path caused the ship to skip another port. The upside of that cruise was that we were "given" two additional days at seas. A 10 nighter went to a 12 nighter at no charge because the ports of both Everglades and Miami were damaged. You should have seen all the ships circling just outside the coast of Florida while waiting for one or both of the ports to open to us. Looked like cars circling a WalMart parking lot! :D

:eek: And we picked Oceania because they are visiting (in the Caribbean) 3 ports of call that we have never been to, nor can the larger cruiseships visit. I hope we don't encounter cancellations and changes in mid February.:(

Do not recall seeing ice in the Caribbean lately :D

Even our Ice breaker got stuck in the arctic ice so conditions in the Arctic were not cruise friendly this year

:D

My post was suppose to quote the following.

Originally Posted by wripro View Post

I have said this before...of all the lines I have cruised Oceania has far more port cancellations and alterations than any other. I know there are always unforeseen conditions but why does Oceania encounter so many more than other cruise lines?

In the Caribbean last nov we got changed at the last minute from Cozumel to Costa Maya. Why? They had a marathon or triathlon, can't remember which and all major routes around the island were closed. They have it every year. Very poor research on Oceanias part.

In 2012 we did a cruise to Iceland on O in June and had no port troubles due to ice at all in Iceland, Northern Scotland or Norway.

We also sailed to The Holy Land in 2011 after the problems started in Egypt. I have always felt that Oceania makes very good decisions when it comes to the safety of their passengers and have no problems with most changes, and I don't hesitate to book more "dangerous" itineraries as I know if the local conditions change they will not put us in unnecessary danger.

However changes like the one at Cozumel are annoying as it should be something they knew when planning their schedule.

Mo

Edited by potterhill

Just back from Insignia's Montreal to London. We lost 1 port in Greenland & Iceland and didn't get to the Artic Circle. But we did get to ports in each country. There were also significant changes to port times which effected our independent touring in many ports. No attempt to justify the changes in port times.

We were originally on this Insignia cruise but we moved over to the Nautica cruise.

The Nautica lost four port days, two in Greenland, one in Iceland and one in Northern Ireland. They added Nuuk Greenland.

It was disappointing to miss the port days. We had some port time changes due to the ship deviating a couple hundred miles south to avoid icebergs and rough seas.

Does anyone know if port charges apply to tender ports? 3 of the 4 missed days were tender operations. I don't think we were refunded any money.

The upside was eating all the extra food on board. The downside was eating all the extra food on board.

They had one extra open bar night.

I don't plan to book these ports again.

We were originally on this Insignia cruise but we moved over to the Nautica cruise.

The Nautica lost four port days, two in Greenland, one in Iceland and one in Northern Ireland. They added Nuuk Greenland.

It was disappointing to miss the port days. We had some port time changes due to the ship deviating a couple hundred miles south to avoid icebergs and rough seas.

Does anyone know if port charges apply to tender ports? 3 of the 4 missed days were tender operations. I don't think we were refunded any money.

The upside was eating all the extra food on board. The downside was eating all the extra food on board.

They had one extra open bar night.

I don't plan to book these ports again.

Yes, port charges do applyto tender ports as well as docked ports. Some cruise lines do properly refund money paid by the passengers for port charges but, there are also several who simply keep the money sometimes claiming that the charges were not separately listed on your invoice much like cruise lines that include excursions and don't refund money for missed excursions sometimes claiming incorrectly they were free and not properly as included. This money improperly retained IMHO, simply increases the cruise line profitability. Make your own decision about this situation. And for anyone who wants to post that it is too complicated and costly to refund money on your ships account, that is simply a red herring as that activity is the Pursers job so no additional cost to make the refund and in this computer age, it is a simple task to refund a specific amount of money to every passenger.

We were aboard the Marina this past April, with a scheduled two day stop at Easter Island in the midst of six sea days. On arriving at Hanga Roa the swell was too high for safe tendering. The Captain moved the ship to a more sheltered, but fairly remote and tiny bay on the north side of the island, with an even smaller dock. They had to use one of the tenders to make a larger dock to which they could moor the active tenders. It was still a bit hairy. In the afternoon the swell got even higher, and actually made the boarding from shore onto the tenders and thence onto the Marina pretty risky, especially for those with walking difficulties.

They had two lines of crew members, one on each side, shoulder to shoulder, to assist the passengers onto the dock, through the first tender and onto the active tender. Same at the ship end. In the end, everyone made it aboard safely, with no incidents that we heard about, and we got our two day stop at EI, which was the highlight of the trip. The conditions were such that many captains would have cancelled all together, but most of the pax I spoke to were thankful that the Captain and crew did their utmost to make it happen, again without incident, even though the conditions were pretty bouncy.

Edited by Sopwith

Yes, port charges do applyto tender ports as well as docked ports. Some cruise lines do properly refund money paid by the passengers for port charges but, there are also several who simply keep the money sometimes claiming that the charges were not separately listed on your invoice much like cruise lines that include excursions and don't refund money for missed excursions sometimes claiming incorrectly they were free and not properly as included. This money improperly retained IMHO, simply increases the cruise line profitability. Make your own decision about this situation. And for anyone who wants to post that it is too complicated and costly to refund money on your ships account, that is simply a red herring as that activity is the Pursers job so no additional cost to make the refund and in this computer age, it is a simple task to refund a specific amount of money to every passenger.

I just sent an inquiry to Oceania on the port fee issue. I do not recall seeing a refund on my final statement but I didn't specifically check the line items. The final bill pretty much matched the mental calculator in my head.

The missed ports and adjusted port times were understandable on this cruise as we were dodging icebergs, rough seas and high winds.

The port of Liverpool kicked us out an hour early so they could being in one of the Queens, big fanfare had been planned.

Edited by sammiedawg

I received communication from O regarding the port fees for missed ports. Apparently Oceania does not assess port fees, therefore a refund was not in order.

[quOote=sammiedawg;47554083]I received communication from O regarding the port fees for missed ports. Apparently Oceania does not assess port fees, therefore a refund was not in order.

Of course a refund was in order, you paid the port fees buried in your cruise fare. Just like I said earlier, Oceania plays the same games I mentioned in my earlier post. They claim to not assess port fees which is a blatant lie. Of course they assess the port fees but, unlike most cruise lines who separately list the port fees and therefore based on an agreement with the State of Florida have to refund the port fees, they simply keep the money increasing their bottom line. Of course they pay the port fees to the port and of course they collect the port fees from their passengers, they are simply included in the cruise fare and then they respond to you with the comment you got. Sometimes it is amazing how a company can think their passengers will accept that type of half baked answer and believe that Oceania gets special dispensation from ports world wide to not pay port charges. Guess what they say is almost true but, deceptive, they don't separately account for the port fees in the customers invoice but, you can be sure that those costs are included in your cruise fare. Love those people who have posted in several threads how much they trust Oceania and then this information comes out as well as earlier today the response that many of the cruises for the rest of 2015 have been adjusted for some convoluted reason when the real reason is that they are slowing down the ships between ports reducing fuel costs. Fool me once, shame on you, shame me twice, shame on me.

The inclusive port fee issue really doesn't bother me and I don't think I have a half baked mind. Cruise lines do not issue refunds for inclusive items not used. Viking ocean, Viking River cruises will not refund if I choose not to go on their included tour. Oceania will not refund for specialty restaurants, coffees or soda if I don't consume. I routinely pay resort fees to stay in nice hotel properties, they will not refund if all I do is sit on the balcony and relax.

I think the port fees are a different issue from shortened port schedules. I agree they are slowing down ship speed to save fuel and this bears watching.

The inclusive port fee issue really doesn't bother me and I don't think I have a half baked mind. Cruise lines do not issue refunds for inclusive items not used. Viking ocean, Viking River cruises will not refund if I choose not to go on their included tour. Oceania will not refund for specialty restaurants, coffees or soda if I don't consume. I routinely pay resort fees to stay in nice hotel properties, they will not refund if all I do is sit on the balcony and relax.

I think the port fees are a different issue from shortened port schedules. I agree they are slowing down ship speed to save fuel and this bears watching.

While you are correct in regards to other included items, port fees are another issue. Several years ago people complained about cruise lines not refunding port fees for missing ports and the State of Florida got involved and reached an agreement with all cruise lines in Florida that all port fees and taxes separately shown on a customers invoice would be refunded to customers if not paid to the proper authorities. Oceania is a signatory to that agreement. So, what does Oceania do, they simply include taxes and port fees in the cruise costs and thus do not have to refund those items when they miss ports or don't pay the taxes. Now, there is another twist to this. Commissions are paid on the net cruise price which means your fare less taxes and port fess meaning Oceania pays a higher dollar amount in commissions to their TA's. So, Oceania has made a calculated decision to keep port fees and pay more commission dollars based on more income from retained port fees than paid out in commissions. What they are doing is perfectly legal but, is it ethical???? Perhaps this will impact your thoughts on this subject?