NCL Sun Alaska

biojeep

We took the Sun northbound to Seward from May 30 to June 3. After reading that the Sun's dry dock was cut short prior to our cruise & after reading all the negative reviews here we were very hesitant. I can honestly say that we loved the ship. We have been on 2 other NCL ships & a Disney ship and the Sun is comparable. We did not experience any foul odors, the food was good, the service was excellent, and we did not notice any notable signs of aging. We never had to wait for a table in the main dining rooms or the specialty restaurants. Our food was always delivered promptly & was always hot. Actually I would say that the food was the best we have experienced in 4 cruises. The embarkation process was not long & we immediately went to the Four Seasons for lunch instead of the buffet. There were fewer than 20 people there & we had a quiet lunch. Our cabin was ready just as we were finishing lunch. When we got to our cabin it was very warm so we called guest services & they promptly sent maintenance to take care of the problem. It is true the shower is very small but we came prepared with clips to weigh down the shower curtain. We enjoyed the evening shows & the music was good. We especially liked Brian Rath who sang in the Windjammer Lounge. He sounded a lot like James Taylor. it is true that the ship has an unusual layout & the buffet area is small. After sailing on the Pearl to Alaska I never expected the Sun to measure up but it truly did. We would not hesitate to sail on the Sun again. We had a midship balcony room with ample storage area & our cabin steward took really good care of us. I really don't understand all the negative things posted on cruise critic about the Sun. We certainly did not experience any problems.

Thank you so much for posting this. I think it will ease the minds of a lot of people who have upcoming cruises. Especially the odor comments.

We are sailing that route in August . Did you take the early morning train to Anchorage ? Have not booked that yet.

We used Alaska Cruise Transfer motor coach that went to Wildlife Conservation Center then to airport where we picked up a rental to drive to Denali. Quite a few passengers used them. We would have used the train but we wanted to get to airport by noon for our car.

On a side note we did the Wildlife Explorer & crab feast in Ketchikan through NCL & loved it. Well worth the price. In Skagway we went with Dyea Dave to Emerald Lake. One of our best Alaskan experiences ever. Dave is very knowledgeable & there were only 8 people on his tour. He gives great narration & stops often.

Beth- we did the train last June. We did not book with the cruiseline because we spent a few days in Seward, but the trainride was fantastic! And we did the glass cars on top which were incredibly and well worth the extra cost

We did the same, and the train slowed down for photo ops, and had some narration.

Being in the Dome Car (GoldStar service) was amazing, and well worth it in Alaska.

We were forward on the ship, but ate a few times in the aft section, and there were no odors. But the restaurants are up high, so maybe that makes a difference.

I was on the same cruise and also had a fantastic time. I also had a very warm cabin on Day 1, but my steward went out of her way to get it fixed when the a/c didn't kick in right away, and checked on me that evening to make sure I was comfortable. Guest services also called me the next day to confirm all was well.

I enjoyed the food, my cabin was fresh, clean, and quiet every day, and only occasionally got whiffs of the sewage smell others have complained about. I would gladly sail on the Sun again.

We took the Sun northbound to Seward from May 30 to June 3. After reading that the Sun's dry dock was cut short prior to our cruise & after reading all the negative reviews here we were very hesitant. I can honestly say that we loved the ship. We have been on 2 other NCL ships & a Disney ship and the Sun is comparable. We did not experience any foul odors, the food was good, the service was excellent, and we did not notice any notable signs of aging. We never had to wait for a table in the main dining rooms or the specialty restaurants. Our food was always delivered promptly & was always hot. Actually I would say that the food was the best we have experienced in 4 cruises. The embarkation process was not long & we immediately went to the Four Seasons for lunch instead of the buffet. There were fewer than 20 people there & we had a quiet lunch. Our cabin was ready just as we were finishing lunch. When we got to our cabin it was very warm so we called guest services & they promptly sent maintenance to take care of the problem. It is true the shower is very small but we came prepared with clips to weigh down the shower curtain. We enjoyed the evening shows & the music was good. We especially liked Brian Rath who sang in the Windjammer Lounge. He sounded a lot like James Taylor. it is true that the ship has an unusual layout & the buffet area is small. After sailing on the Pearl to Alaska I never expected the Sun to measure up but it truly did. We would not hesitate to sail on the Sun again. We had a midship balcony room with ample storage area & our cabin steward took really good care of us. I really don't understand all the negative things posted on cruise critic about the Sun. We certainly did not experience any problems.

Was your cabin forward, amidships or aft?

My husband and I will be sailing July 25. It is his first cruise and our first trip to Alaska I would to meet fellow passengers and receive all tips!

Welcome to cruise critic! :) You'll have more info and tips and be able to meet fellow passengers on your rollcall:

http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2274705

Thanks for sharing about your trip. This is our first on NCL, leaving June 27, but have been to Alaska twice on Princess and once on RC. NCL gave us a better deal when we booked so we were taking a chance. We are excited to try Freestyle cruising!

Thank you for your post. We will be midship on the Sun next month and with my sensitive nose, I was becoming very concerned about the odor. I feel much better now.

Thank you for your post. We will be midship on the Sun next month and with my sensitive nose, I was becoming very concerned about the odor. I feel much better now.

We have an aft balcony on deck 9. I was concerned about the posts and reviews regarding the Sun with many commenting about the sewer odors. Biggest problem area was the aft and aft stairwell.

I talked with the NCL customer service, who put me on hold and checked with someone else about the issue. She said that my call was the first complaint NCL had since the refit in Spring. There were complaints prior to that.

I told her that I had seen a few posts/reviews on cruise critic from cruisers after the refit commenting on the sewer odors. Note, not all the reviews or posters complained about the odors. It is possible that NCL improved on the problem. Still, I am concerned, so I sent an email to NCL and included some excerpts from two reviews under member reviews concerning the sewage odors.

No response yet from my email.

We plan to go ahead with the cruise and hope for the best, but if we have a problem with these odors, I will complain and request some compensation.

We have an aft balcony on deck 9. I was concerned about the posts and reviews regarding the Sun with many commenting about the sewer odors. Biggest problem area was the aft and aft stairwell.

I talked with the NCL customer service, who put me on hold and checked with someone else about the issue. She said that my call was the first complaint NCL had since the refit in Spring. There were complaints prior to that.

I told her that I had seen a few posts/reviews on cruise critic from cruisers after the refit commenting on the sewer odors. Note, not all the reviews or posters complained about the odors. It is possible that NCL improved on the problem. Still, I am concerned, so I sent an email to NCL and included some excerpts from two reviews under member reviews concerning the sewage odors.

No response yet from my email.

We plan to go ahead with the cruise and hope for the best, but if we have a problem with these odors, I will complain and request some compensation.

Please cancel your cruise now. After all the positive responses you still want to believe a few past negative posters and you still want to complain that NCL will not take care of your problem. The reason is that there is no problem. But i believe that you will find one. I too sailed this cruise doing a b2b. I have sailed on the Sun in Alaska at least 10 times in the last 3 years on the Sun in Alaska. I have always had Honesty, Respect, Courtesy and just genuinely nice people (the crew). No robots just trying to be nice because it is their job. Was it a perfect cruise? No. My cabin door would not close my itself because i leave my balcony door open all the time. When I complained to guest services they took full responsibility for the problem and sent me a bottle of wine. I was being sarcastic but Melissa just stood there and let me go on. She listened and sent me wine. From Captain Borg ( a great Captain), Brain Walters, Rico Taulbert you will not find better leaders. I plan on going back again this season because of the Customer Service but also they have a great b2b itinerary and they are an excellent value. So go to another cruise line and pay double but have peace of mind.

A am the crazy old man who will pick up a cheaper cabin because of your cancellation. I should really say thank you.

I consider the NCL Suns whole crew my family.

P.S. Budget Queen you are my hero.

Please cancel your cruise now. After all the positive responses you still want to believe a few past negative posters and you still want to complain that NCL will not take care of your problem. The reason is that there is no problem. But i believe that you will find one. I too sailed this cruise doing a b2b. I have sailed on the Sun in Alaska at least 10 times in the last 3 years on the Sun in Alaska. I have always had Honesty, Respect, Courtesy and just genuinely nice people (the crew). No robots just trying to be nice because it is their job. Was it a perfect cruise? No. My cabin door would not close my itself because i leave my balcony door open all the time. When I complained to guest services they took full responsibility for the problem and sent me a bottle of wine. I was being sarcastic but Melissa just stood there and let me go on. She listened and sent me wine. From Captain Borg ( a great Captain), Brain Walters, Rico Taulbert you will not find better leaders. I plan on going back again this season because of the Customer Service but also they have a great b2b itinerary and they are an excellent value. So go to another cruise line and pay double but have peace of mind.

A am the crazy old man who will pick up a cheaper cabin because of your cancellation. I should really say thank you.

I consider the NCL Suns whole crew my family.

P.S. Budget Queen you are my hero.

Sorry, but I don't appreciate your sarcastic attempt to belittle a real problem. I have taken 9 Celebrity and 5 NCL cruises, as well as four river cruises in the past 6 years and my reviews on cc have all been generally positive. Most, I find superior or excellent.

I am retired and have time to research thoroughly. Since I booked my cruise over a year ago, I have read (most posted in last 6 months) many reviews complaining about the sewage odors on the Sun. Further, I started a thread asked for those to comment on their experience on the Sun regarding any sewage odors. I had several responses that further confirmed that it has been a real problem on the Sun, particularly for those near the aft of the ship.

Based on my call to NCL a few days ago, NCL confirmed that there was a problem that had generated several complaints. They indicated that they had no complaints since the spring refit. However, some posters on cruises after the refit have noted the sewage odors.

Some posters felt that it ruined their vacation.

You may have been on three Sun cruises, and didn't find any sewage odors, but that doesn't mean others had a problem on their cruises.

I could have cancelled the cruise, since final payment has not arrived, but decided to go, since I had made other plans pre and post cruise. Also, I have had five good cruises with NCL and hope that the refit did mostly resolve the problem. If that is not true, NCL will hear about it.

Sorry, but I don't appreciate your sarcastic attempt to belittle a real problem. I have taken 9 Celebrity and 5 NCL cruises, as well as four river cruises in the past 6 years and my reviews on cc have all been generally positive. Most, I find superior or excellent.

I am retired and have time to research thoroughly. Since I booked my cruise over a year ago, I have read (most posted in last 6 months) many reviews complaining about the sewage odors on the Sun. Further, I started a thread asked for those to comment on their experience on the Sun regarding any sewage odors. I had several responses that further confirmed that it has been a real problem on the Sun, particularly for those near the aft of the ship.

Based on my call to NCL a few days ago, NCL confirmed that there was a problem that had generated several complaints. They indicated that they had no complaints since the spring refit. However, some posters on cruises after the refit have noted the sewage odors.

Some posters felt that it ruined their vacation.

You may have been on three Sun cruises, and didn't find any sewage odors, but that doesn't mean others had a problem on their cruises.

I could have cancelled the cruise, since final payment has not arrived, but decided to go, since I had made other plans pre and post cruise. Also, I have had five good cruises with NCL and hope that the refit did mostly resolve the problem. If that is not true, NCL will hear about it.

You are a well seasoned cruiser and should know about the pitfalls ships have. And to complain and take it personal about a problem that hasn't happened to you yet. You are already looking for compensation. And yes I am being just as childish as you even responding back. You even had a chance to fix a potential problem but want to stand by your principles.

We took the Sun northbound to Seward from May 30 to June 3. After reading that the Sun's dry dock was cut short prior to our cruise & after reading all the negative reviews here we were very hesitant. I can honestly say that we loved the ship. We have been on 2 other NCL ships & a Disney ship and the Sun is comparable. We did not experience any foul odors, the food was good, the service was excellent, and we did not notice any notable signs of aging. We never had to wait for a table in the main dining rooms or the specialty restaurants. Our food was always delivered promptly & was always hot. Actually I would say that the food was the best we have experienced in 4 cruises. The embarkation process was not long & we immediately went to the Four Seasons for lunch instead of the buffet. There were fewer than 20 people there & we had a quiet lunch. Our cabin was ready just as we were finishing lunch. When we got to our cabin it was very warm so we called guest services & they promptly sent maintenance to take care of the problem. It is true the shower is very small but we came prepared with clips to weigh down the shower curtain. We enjoyed the evening shows & the music was good. We especially liked Brian Rath who sang in the Windjammer Lounge. He sounded a lot like James Taylor. it is true that the ship has an unusual layout & the buffet area is small. After sailing on the Pearl to Alaska I never expected the Sun to measure up but it truly did. We would not hesitate to sail on the Sun again. We had a midship balcony room with ample storage area & our cabin steward took really good care of us. I really don't understand all the negative things posted on cruise critic about the Sun. We certainly did not experience any problems.[/QUOT

Thank you for your wonderful post. Thank you for giving the Sun a chance.

I loved your honesty. I my opinion the Sun is the finest ship sailing today. The Sun may not have all the bells and whistle all the other expensive cruise lines have but the crew will do there best at giving you the best cruise experience by giving excellent customer service.

You are a well seasoned cruiser and should know about the pitfalls ships have. And to complain and take it personal about a problem that hasn't happened to you yet. You are already looking for compensation. And yes I am being just as childish as you even responding back. You even had a chance to fix a potential problem but want to stand by your principles.

Yes, I am aware that s--- happens, but I don't want to smell it on my cruise. It is one thing for a unexpected problem to come up on a cruise and another for the cruise line to know about a problem and fail to fix the problem.

To ignore a problem reported by many others is to stick you head in the sand.

NCL's response to my questions seemed to indicate they put some effort in fixing the problem. We shall see if the fix was good enough.

After all, if NCL didn't fix the problem then any passenger, including myself would deserve some compensation from smelling sewage in your cabin, in the buffet, etc. as others have reported.

Yes, I am aware that s--- happens, but I don't want to smell it on my cruise. It is one thing for a unexpected problem to come up on a cruise and another for the cruise line to know about a problem and fail to fix the problem.

To ignore a problem reported by many others is to stick you head in the sand.

NCL's response to my questions seemed to indicate they put some effort in fixing the problem. We shall see if the fix was good enough.

After all, if NCL didn't fix the problem then any passenger, including myself would deserve some compensation from smelling sewage in your cabin, in the buffet, etc. as others have reported.

I do appreciate your honesty. What kind of compensation do you plan on asking for?

I want to apologize to the original posted for letting someone get the best of my emotions and highjacking the thread. I am prejudiced to people who will not give anything or anyone a second chance, especially on a cruise ship.

It seems to me for those who are planning on cruising on the Sun that are so concerned about the odor there is a simple solution - don't book an aft cabin. We had a midship balcony & it was more than adequate. We ate almost every night in the Four Seasons dining room which is aft & never noticed a bad odor & never noticed any odor in the Stardust which is also aft.