I concierge app

marci0914

Can someone please explain to me how the concierge app works? Do I put my phone on airplane mode but my husband and I will be able to text each other (both on the ship). Will I be able to use what's app? I have at and t If that matters. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, your phone needs to be in airplane mode to be sure you don't get charges from your cell carrier, then you turn the wifi back on. You will pay a one-time activation fee of $9.95 per device to activate the texting and calling features, then you can message each other through the app itself. There are also many other things you can do with the app that don't require the fee.

It's not available on all ships.

Yes, your phone needs to be in airplane mode to be sure you don't get charges from your cell carrier, then you turn the wifi back on. You will pay a one-time activation fee of $9.95 per device to activate the texting and calling features, then you can message each other through the app itself. There are also many other things you can do with the app that don't require the fee.

It's not available on all ships.

What they said.

You have to activate it on board. The pay features are Texting and Calling on board. The rest like making dining reservations, showtimes, etc are free.

Think of it as an INTRANET...a closed internet system for onboard the ship.

Edited by jewelmick

My wife has an Iphone, and I have a Windows phone, both had apps that were downloadable, but the windows phone would not work on board. The internet manager was not any help, and just commented most windows phones will not work.

Point is, make sure both will work before paying for any of them.

Do we really need this app or would it genuinely make life easier for us whilst we are on board - Breakaway?

It does make it easy to keep in touch with your party. Much better than roaming around hoping to find them...

Does the Sun have the app? And has anyone had luck with a Samsung? I have Iphone but hubby has Samsung.

My Android phones always worked on Epic. The paid version of the app also allows you to "phone home" for a lowish rate (it was $.79/min. a little over a year ago). The connection can be hit or miss, but I was able to place a call. Home is also supposed to be able to contact you through the app, but I never tried it.

Sun is listed as having the service (https://www.ncl.com/downloads/iconcierge).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

You can call from your room phone home without the app for $4.99/minute. Don't know about what the app does. Wasn't worth it for me. We waited until we were in ports (Alaska) where we had coverage by carrier (Verizon).

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I know that Dawn was just in Dry Dock and there has already been a Boston to Bermuda cruise that has sailed. I'm travelling on July 8th.

Do they now have this on the Dawn? Website is not updated but I thought I saw a comment in another thread that its now available on the Dawn.

Just looking for confirmation!

Thanks!

Does this work on the escape? I would love to be able to call my children back home. Do you all through the cell phone or room phone?

You call through the app on your cell phone, not using your phone's actual "phone". The number that shows up for your children will not be your cell number, so forewarn them. It's $.79 per minute, and when we did it, it was a really bad connection, but better than nothing (and better than $4.99/minute as mentioned above) in an emergency.

We are going to the Caribbean so I am unsure if we will be able to use our phones on the islands without roaming.

Another option might be an international calling card used in ports in that case. Although if it $0.79 a minute that isn't as bad.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I know that Dawn was just in Dry Dock and there has already been a Boston to Bermuda cruise that has sailed. I'm travelling on July 8th.

Do they now have this on the Dawn? Website is not updated but I thought I saw a comment in another thread that its now available on the Dawn.

Just looking for confirmation!

Thanks!

Yes, they installed this during drydock

Does this work on the escape? I would love to be able to call my children back home. Do you all through the cell phone or room phone?

Another case of NCL not updating their info (referring to the link). I can't say absolutely, but since it's a new ship, it probably does have it.

Definitely: https://www.ncl.com/apps

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98