Will I feel out of place on Celebrity?

Hammergirl

We just got off Oasis of the Seas and had a really great time with our 2 kids. However, my husband and I would like to try a cruise with just the 2 of us. We are looking at Celebrity but are concerned it will be a little to formal for us.

We don't dress up. I usually wear khaki shorts and a t-shirt and my husband wears khaki shorts and an athletic shirt or t-shirt. We only went to the main dining room once and we did wear khaki pants and a button down shirt and I wore a maxi-skirt and a sweater. We mainly liked to just hang out on the deck and watch the world go by. We are both 42.

Are we going to feel out of place on Celebrity? Please be honest as I would hate to book something and then realize we are totally out of place and feel uncomfortable the whole time.

Khaki shorts & t shirts are fine during the day. They are NOT acceptable in the MDR at night. Those who claim they are, are full of it! long pants & collared shirt are the norm at night.(smart casual) Shorts are ok in the buffet anytime, but outside that area you might look too casual. I base this on the Eclipse, which does 14 day Caribbean cruises in the winter. The pax tend to be an older demographic & therefore tend to dress a little more formal(the reason we chose this ship)

My advice is to listen to all the posts so far (which have been pretty much spot on) and stay well away from the dress code threads.

That is what has me freaking out! I see all these people who seem like they would spit on you if you were not dressed the way they feel you should!

Khaki shorts & t shirts are fine during the day. They are NOT acceptable in the MDR at night. Those who claim they are, are full of it! long pants & collared shirt are the norm at night.(smart casual) Shorts are ok in the buffet anytime, but outside that area you might look too casual. I base this on the Eclipse, which does 14 day Caribbean cruises in the winter. The pax tend to be an older demographic & therefore tend to dress a little more formal(the reason we chose this ship)

So if I want to wear shorts after dark I will only be welcome at the buffet? I get the main dining room...but even walking around the ship and lounging on the sun decks? I must be dressed up for that?

So if I want to wear shorts after dark I will only be welcome at the buffet? I get the main dining room...but even walking around the ship and lounging on the sun decks? I must be dressed up for that?

No, not at all....you can wear shorts 24/7 and nobody will look twice nor care....the ONLY place you can't wear shots is the MDR during DINNER ONLY.....I live in shorts..MDR dress code is basically any long pants and any shirt with a collar...its VERY easy to do..I usually wear jeans or dockers and a polo or Hawaiian shirt which is my usual going out to dinner attire at home...

We just got off Oasis of the Seas and had a really great time with our 2 kids. However, my husband and I would like to try a cruise with just the 2 of us. We are looking at Celebrity but are concerned it will be a little to formal for us.

We don't dress up. I usually wear khaki shorts and a t-shirt and my husband wears khaki shorts and an athletic shirt or t-shirt. We only went to the main dining room once and we did wear khaki pants and a button down shirt and I wore a maxi-skirt and a sweater. We mainly liked to just hang out on the deck and watch the world go by. We are both 42.

Are we going to feel out of place on Celebrity? Please be honest as I would hate to book something and then realize we are totally out of place and feel uncomfortable the whole time.

X is not that formal anymore it's just boring compared to RCL.

You will be fine anywhere on the ship (including the MDR) in shorts, except the new formal night where you will absolutely fit in wearing the outfit you described in your first post.

We are the same age as you. We LOVE Celebrity as it is more relaxed, low-key, and QUIETER than CCL or RCL.

If you like to sit and people watch, nobody will bother you and you won't be subjected to hairy chest or belly flop contests. No constant in room sales pitches. Fewer rowdy drunks and more friendly mature adults...but that doesn't mean "older" as you will see plenty of 40-50 crowd.

Our advice - book when you can get the free drink package and hope to see you aboard!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, not at all....you can wear shorts 24/7 and nobody will look twice nor care....the ONLY place you can't wear shots is the MDR during DINNER ONLY.....I live in shorts..MDR dress code is basically any long pants and any shirt with a collar...its VERY easy to do..I usually wear jeans or dockers and a polo or Hawaiian shirt which is my usual going out to dinner attire at home...

Perfect - thanks!

You would be comfortable wearing shorts almost everywhere except for the MDR. I will say though that in the evening you will find the vast majority of guests are wearing long pants. Only the 17-23 age group seems to want to wear shorts everywhere, all the time.

I, and most guests, subscribe to the big boy principal. That is, big boys dress like big boys when sailing on a luxury cruise ship during those hours when most men put on their dockers and golf shirts. Kind of like after a golf outing. You don't wear your golf shorts to the dinner.

Edited by PoppyandNana

You will not feel out of place. The dress code is only a suggestion, so wear whatever you like!

Why would you say something so absurd? The dress code is not a suggestion. Try wearing your baggy gym shorts and wife beater tee to dinner in the MDR. Dont forget to wear your Yankees hat backwards (or sideways, your call).

We wear casual all day, change for dinner, then change back. We don't dress up for dinner often so I do enjoy changing for that. but it ranges from casual to dressed up (but not formal usually). We did one Celebrity at 40 and one at 50.

Absolutely Not! My husband changes into shorts after dinner every night, including formal night. We go to bars, shows, lounges with music etc. Not a problem at all.

A lot of people ignore this part of the dress code:

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

When I go to any function, I respect the dress code established by the host.

You would be comfortable wearing shorts almost everywhere except for the MDR. I will say though that in the evening you will find the vast majority of guests are wearing long pants. Only the 17-23 age group seems to want to wear shorts everywhere, all the time.

I, and most guests, subscribe to the big boy principal. That is, big boys dress like big boys when sailing on a luxury cruise ship during those hours when most men put on their dockers and golf shirts. Kind of like after a golf outing. You don't wear your golf shorts to the dinner.

Sorry but this isn't your Celebrity of 20 years ago and this big boy wears his shorts most everywhere on X and gets along just fine...your big boy principal sounds more like the fuddy duddy principal to me...

Sorry but this isn't your Celebrity of 20 years ago and this big boy wears his shorts most everywhere on X and gets along just fine...your big boy principal sounds more like the fuddy duddy principal to me...

And that's just fine. We each have our own ideas and preferences. That being said just what is the attraction to wearing shorts, in the evening, in various venues? I mean the ships are not hot. If anything they are a tad chilly. Do pants rub against your knees causing discomfort? If its not a climate thing what is it? Man against the machine?

Personally, I feel more comfortable in pants in the evening regardless of where we dine. The one thing I find a bit ludicrous are men who dress nice for dinner then run back to the cabin to put on the slobies.

Personally, I feel more comfortable in pants in the evening regardless of where we dine. The one thing I find a bit ludicrous are men who dress nice for dinner then run back to the cabin to put on the slobies.

Others feel more comfortable in shorts. Just because they change out of dinner clothes does not mean they are changing into "slobies". Personally I don't understand why other people care or notice what someone else wears into a bar.

And that's just fine. We each have our own ideas and preferences. That being said just what is the attraction to wearing shorts, in the evening, in various venues? I mean the ships are not hot. If anything they are a tad chilly. Do pants rub against your knees causing discomfort? If its not a climate thing what is it? Man against the machine?

For me personally, I like to be in shorts on vacation, and I am a woman. Why? Because I live in MN and so when I have the opportunity to wear shorts, I do it. They are comfortable and being in dress clothes is SO uncomfortable to me. I don't consider khaki shorts to be slobbies though.

I subscribe to the vacation principle & think that "big boys" get up, go to work & take care of their family every day of their life so that when they're on vacation (where there is no dress code outside of dinner in the restaurants) they can wear shorts if they want...

If you enjoyed RCCL with your children you will love Celebrity when you sail as a couple. As others have said it is a more "refined" atmosphere than on RCCL, but not stuffy. For the most part you will just meet a lot of nice people in your same demographic.

When friends ask me about the atmosphere I say it reminds of that restaurant you go to when your having a special date night. The one where the food and service is always good, but you don't need a tie and jacket. The place you go when you want to share a nice bottle of wine and you don't care if dinner takes a couple of hours.

To the OP:

I think this thread is a good answer to your question and I'll explain why. The majority of replies are encouraging you to not anticipate feeling uncomfortable dressing casual on Celebrity, while only one or two people say otherwise. So, while it's possible you'd get a dirty look from someone, it would be very rare and I would just ignore it if happens. I'd encourage you to give Celebrity a try and leave your worries at home. As notes by others, I think X is particularly well suited for a couple travelling alone.

I've been on X three times - twice in the Caribbean and once in Alaska, and many people - myself included - can and do wear shorts and t-shirts throughout the day. This includes the MDR for breakfast or lunch. For dinner in the MDR, there is the minimum dress code as mentioned, but it is still very casual. I've seen many men wearing jeans and a polo shirt or Hawaiian shirt. You will see people dressed up to higher degrees, including very formal at times, but not so many as to feel like you are out of place. You can find plenty of people are still dressed in shorts and casual tops in the evening, either in the Oceanview Cafe, or many other locations, including the theater.

Celebrity actually relaxed the rules recently, which has disappointed some, but I think is a smart move. If you and your companions like to dress up - you can have a grand time - but it gives everyone more freedom to dress as suits their taste. (no pun intended.) Even on the "smart chic" nights, it's really only a suggestion - I've seen some "dressed to the nines" and others still very casual.

Having said all this, I think the Celebrity demographic tends to lean towards a "smart casual" approach and has a classy, yet relaxed vibe overall.

A few caveats:

- I can't speak as to what to expect in Blu or Lumina, as I've not dined there.

- Other specialty restaurants (Tuscan Grille, Murano, etc.) have a more up-scale vibe and people tend to dress accordingly.

- I've heard rumors that Mediterranean sailings can have a different vibe, perhaps due to the big difference in itinerary, which might mean a different sensibility in what people wear, but I can't speak on that from experience. (yet!)

Edited by conquesodor