venice -doing own tour

lottielane

Has anyone done Venice on their own? I'm wondering how easy it is? How far from the ship is st.marks square. Which vaporetto do you catch? Anyone gone to the islands of mural, burano, then st marks is it doable in time !!? We would like an over all impression rather than in depth. So not wanting to go in glass museum ,maybe stay on vaporetto and view the islands from the water then go to st .marks. ? Any ideas please .:D

Has anyone done Venice on their own? I'm wondering how easy it is? How far from the ship is st.marks square. Which vaporetto do you catch? Anyone gone to the islands of mural, burano, then st marks is it doable in time !!? We would like an over all impression rather than in depth. So not wanting to go in glass museum ,maybe stay on vaporetto and view the islands from the water then go to st .marks. ? Any ideas please .:D

Really easy. We have used the ship's water shuttle (you have to pay for though) and have done the Cathedral, the 'tower' and Doges Palace alone. Just enjoyed wandering around and getting lost - it is so easy.

The ship's shuttle is not too expensive and a nice boat journey in and you can use it all day - lots of journeys. Using the shuttle and then doing your own thing is a great mix :-)

There is a 'people mover' train a short walk from the ship, it is very cheap just a couple of euros and a very short journey time into Venice. P&O tend not to publicise for obvious reasons. We had no idea what we were doing but took this train and managed to find our way through the sites, I can't remember how long it took but we weren't short of time. Also once you get off the train there is a lot of opportunity to pay for a boat ride. I'd advise to be a bit more prepared than we were and take a map [emoji4] the only thing we struggled with was flooding, as we had no wellies. We wondered why all the shops were closing and quickly found out - we didn't get wet but couldn't actually go into St Marks Sq as it was flooded, I don't think this is such an issue in summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took the same people mover that Florry did. As you're walking out the port, you'll see it - an overhead monorail. Head for that and it will take you to Pizzale Roma (Sp??). There's lots of buses there so walk through that square to the canal which you'll see behind the buses. That's the Grand Canal. Get on the vaporetto that goes down the canal and you'll think you're in a movie set! You'll see fantastic buildings, the Rialto, gondolas - everything Venice is famous for. It ends up near St Mark's for you to walk round. After that you can get another vaporetto to Murano where they make the lovely glass items and you can wander round that island too. just make sure you allow enough time to get back to the ship at the end because it takes about an hour to get back along the Grand Canal. The only thing I'd say is if you want to take a ride in a gondola, it's very expensive to DIY. We did a tour with viator the first time we were in Venice which was a walking tour round St Mark's and a ride on a gondola which was very good value

I'd also highly recommend you get up early to enjoy the sail in. On our first cruise we were lucky enough to arrive at mid-day so for the whole morning we were on deck watching the city getting closer and closer and WOW!!

We took the same people mover that Florry did. As you're walking out the port, you'll see it - an overhead monorail. Head for that and it will take you to Pizzale Roma (Sp??). There's lots of buses there so walk through that square to the canal which you'll see behind the buses. That's the Grand Canal. Get on the vaporetto that goes down the canal and you'll think you're in a movie set! You'll see fantastic buildings, the Rialto, gondolas - everything Venice is famous for. It ends up near St Mark's for you to walk round. After that you can get another vaporetto to Murano where they make the lovely glass items and you can wander round that island too. just make sure you allow enough time to get back to the ship at the end because it takes about an hour to get back along the Grand Canal. The only thing I'd say is if you want to take a ride in a gondola, it's very expensive to DIY. We did a tour with viator the first time we were in Venice which was a walking tour round St Mark's and a ride on a gondola which was very good value

I'd also highly recommend you get up early to enjoy the sail in. On our first cruise we were lucky enough to arrive at mid-day so for the whole morning we were on deck watching the city getting closer and closer and WOW!!

I will remember that for next time TX [emoji1360]

Wow it sounds amazing , we fly to ship tomorrow it's our 1st cruise , never done this before, a bit apprehensive to diy ,I get a bit worked up if I don't know exactly where to go. So thank you all for your help .:D

Wow it sounds amazing , we fly to ship tomorrow it's our 1st cruise , never done this before, a bit apprehensive to diy ,I get a bit worked up if I don't know exactly where to go. So thank you all for your help .:D

These guides are helpful http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/venice-05-06-2011.pdf

Use the airport bus to piazza le Roma and then people mover to port all for €9.50 in total - ship wanted $55! To see St. marks, Murano etc get an all day Vaporetto ticket for €20. Again from ship take people mover (€1.50) to piazza le Roma where you can get any vaporetto

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you want to go into St Marks go early as there are often huge queues. It is nice to wander from St Marks Square through the little streets following the signs to the Rialto bridge. If you sit in St Marks Square for coffee it will cost you an arm and a leg. Go off the square and it is very reasonable. Don't worry if you get lost in the little streets. All lead to either St Marks or the Rialto.

Last time we were there we did the Eecret Tour of the Doges Palace which takes you to places you don't normally go. You can book it online but make sure you get the English speaking one.

There is a 'people mover' train a short walk from the ship, it is very cheap just a couple of euros and a very short journey time into Venice. P&O tend not to publicise for obvious reasons. We had no idea what we were doing but took this train and managed to find our way through the sites, I can't remember how long it took but we weren't short of time. Also once you get off the train there is a lot of opportunity to pay for a boat ride. I'd advise to be a bit more prepared than we were and take a map [emoji4] the only thing we struggled with was flooding, as we had no wellies. We wondered why all the shops were closing and quickly found out - we didn't get wet but couldn't actually go into St Marks Sq as it was flooded, I don't think this is such an issue in summer.

We used the people mover which is minutes to a square which was a main hub for coaches,taxis, and water taxis.

We used a map from here and walked to St Marks square and back.

Great post and the cruise into Venice is fantastic.

I will remember that for next time TX [emoji1360]

When I was typing it, it made me think it's high time we did a cruise to Venice again Florry. It was amazing and we've not been for 5 years. Where's that P&O brochure.......:D

Enjoy ---------- you will now become a hopeless cruise addict !

If you've flown I guess you are going on Oceana? If so say hello to one of our favourite ships and crew.

Have an amazing time. :)

We'd been to Venice a couple of times so wandered from the bus/boat stop past St.Marks square on the left and a few hundred yards further on is a wide pedestrianised street where a number of Embassies are located. It made a nice change from the hustle and bustle of the main streets.

We did Venice on our own in April, we just walked out of the port and followed the foot path along side of the road, it's about a 5-10 minute walk to the Plaza Roma Vaporeto stop, we bought a day pass for 20 Euro's and then came and went as we pleased, it's really easy just do a walk through using google map

Really easy. We have used the ship's water shuttle (you have to pay for though) and have done the Cathedral, the 'tower' and Doges Palace alone. Just enjoyed wandering around and getting lost - it is so easy.

The ship's shuttle is not too expensive and a nice boat journey in and you can use it all day - lots of journeys. Using the shuttle and then doing your own thing is a great mix :-)

Hi we are in Venice on the Oriana in June....Are you saying the ship has a shuttle (paid for) that you can use all day to go anywhere?, If so where does it pick you up.? or are you talking about the local shuttles. Thanks and is it an easy walk from ship to St Marks Square

Hi we are in Venice on the Oriana in June....Are you saying the ship has a shuttle (paid for) that you can use all day to go anywhere?, If so where does it pick you up.? or are you talking about the local shuttles. Thanks and is it an easy walk from ship to St Marks Square

The ship will operate a shuttle from the ship to St Marks square. It does not go anywhere else and does not go down the Grand Canal. For around the same price you can buy an all day Vaporetto (Waterbus) ticket which enables you to travel anywhere including the islands like Murano. The current price is €20.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vaporetto_routes2_table.htm

Brian

The shuttle only goes between the ship and whichever pier it stops at. We visited a few weeks ago and the shuttle stopped at 4 bridges down from St Marks Square; about a half mile walk, but will take time with lots of tourists. It cost £8 each one way. We only used the shuttle for the return journey as we were shattered!. On our arrival in Venice, we picked up a map at the port and walked to the city which was about a mile, or you can use the people mover from the port which is much cheaper than the shuttle,(2 euros). There is also the vaporetto but it is very popular and there could be long queues

I was on a P&O cruise which included Venice two weeks ago. P&O provided a water bus from the berth to St Marks Square taking around 30 minutes. The cost was £16 per person for unlimited use. I went in twice. Walking around Venice is very easy. Doges Palace is next to St Marks Square and many side streets with shops radiate from the square. Getting to the Grand Canal is easy as is getting around without a guide. All of the P&O excursions involved a lot of walking of around 2 hours with many steps and the one boat trip excursion was unappealing and long with no toilet facilities. I would do it on my own again as it is so easy.

I think our plan is to book the ships tour /gondala etc which finishes in St M square at about 2-00pm so instead of returning to ship ,we will amble back to ship ,I love Venice, but unfortunately I couldn't walk very well last time we were there, so I really want to walk the backstreets .this time.

I think our plan is to book the ships tour /gondala etc which finishes in St M square at about 2-00pm so instead of returning to ship ,we will amble back to ship ,I love Venice, but unfortunately I couldn't walk very well last time we were there, so I really want to walk the backstreets .this time.

I doubt whether walking back to the ship will be possible. And it's a long way.

Couple of hrs at "ambling pace"?:D

Hi, we've done that walk a few times and it's no more than an hour at that pace possibly less. It's a lovely walk to see the backstreets, smaller canals and some lovely little squares, plus there's signposts on the walls to the Pizzale Roma so you can't go wrong.

If you want to stop for a drink you'll get a beer or coffee at lot more reasonably priced than round St Marks or the Grand Canal.

Hi, we've done that walk a few times and it's no more than an hour at that pace possibly less. It's a lovely walk to see the backstreets, smaller canals and some lovely little squares, plus there's signposts on the walls to the Pizzale Roma so you can't go wrong.

If you want to stop for a drink you'll get a beer or coffee at lot more reasonably priced than round St Marks or the Grand Canal.

We are hoping the tour with ship will finish at St M square, and we can walk to Rialto bridge then back to ship....how long do you think that would be?

We are hoping the tour with ship will finish at St M square, and we can walk to Rialto bridge then back to ship....how long do you think that would be?

Just had a message from a member of Trip advisor living in Venice....apparently from St M square to RIALTO BRIDGE...10/15 MNTS......from there to port....about an hour .....WALKING