No Delta fights JFK to Istanbul starting in May

MNgardens

I am posting this here in case this affects anyone on the Greek Islands cruises.

http://news.delta.com/delta-suspend-new-york-jfk-istanbul-service

"Due to increased security concerns in Turkey, including a travel warning issued by the State Department, and weaker demand for air travel to this market, Delta has taken the decision to suspend its New York-JFK-Istanbul service due to start in May 2016. Customers can go to http://www.delta.com for more information on re-accommodations."

Edited by MNgardens

Thanks for posting this. I am on Windstar cruise leaving Istanbul 5/28 and was booked on Delta JFK to IST 5/25. Checked Delta website and trip still showed as confirmed.. Called Delta and found out my flight was, indeed, cancelled. No call no email, etc. Rebooked throughAmsterdam on KLM. Now a little nervous! If Delta won't go there, should I??? But still planning to!!

Thanks for posting this. I am on Windstar cruise leaving Istanbul 5/28 and was booked on Delta JFK to IST 5/25. Checked Delta website and trip still showed as confirmed.. Called Delta and found out my flight was, indeed, cancelled. No call no email, etc. Rebooked throughAmsterdam on KLM. Now a little nervous! If Delta won't go there, should I??? But still planning to!!

Delta isn't going there because bookings are down, not because it isn't safe.

Delta isn't going there because bookings are down, not because it isn't safe.

It is true that Delta isn't going there anymore because bookings are down, but we need to ask ourselves why bookings are down. The plain and simple truth is that bookings are down because of terrorism. Our own US government has warned against travel to Turkey because they believe that it is unsafe. I understand that the warnings only apply to certain portions of Turkey, but most people aren't going to make that distinction. They are just going to stay away from Turkey as a whole.

I'm just waiting for the day when the government tells everybody to stay away from Zika infected areas. That alone would kill almost half of Windstar's business.

Edited by BBQ Lover

I would go to Istanbul today, it is an amazing, culturlly important, vibrant, friendky city. A no go is the terrorists win, not happening to me. That goes for Paris, Brussells etc. with 30,000 gun deaths a year this country is far more perilous.

The state department issued a travel warning about some specific areas of Turkey but also limited official travel to the country as a whole to mission critical situations.

We love the city and agree that not going rewards the terrorists, but the recent suicide bombing of western tourists in a heavily visited site in IST should be a concern.

I'm just waiting for the day when the government tells everybody to stay away from Zika infected areas. That alone would kill almost half of Windstar's business.

I would like to rephrase that statement. I am not eagerly awaiting for that Zika announcement from the government. It's just that my pessimistic side can see that day coming. We are booked on MSY Windtsar out of Barbados in December and we have every intention of going as long as there is still plane service to Barbados. Heck, we live in Southern California and the news is projecting that we are going to get Zika mosquitoes sometime this summer. If we already live in a Zika area, then we figure that there should be no harm in visiting one.

Edited by BBQ Lover

• 2 weeks later...

I have just booked a cruise and flight for a cruise departing Turkey in August. The price and deal is just too good. We plan to take extra precautions an safety. We are only worried about the one night in Istanbul.

Good luck.

I agree Delta cancelled because of low bookings.

Avoid Turkey. Cruises that haven't pulled out are betting that things will improve. I have been to Turkey on land and by cruise. Nice when safe. Not nice when unsafe. In October we were in Kusadasi when there was a large demonstration. Luckily we got back on the ship without a problem. The US state dept. warnings are for your protection. If I were you, I would cancel any trip that goes to Turkey.

I would go to Istanbul tomorrow. As thoughtful travelers we can not give in to ignorance, hate and fear. We have to bring our willingness to share cultures. We were in Istanbul with Windstar and it truly was one of the most fascinating cities I have visited and it was also one of the most generous of spirit and welcome. From being received at a restaurant with rose petals on the table where the WS hotel made a reservation for us to a trolley driver leaving his street car to make sure we got one one going in the correct direction and telling the driver we had paid we were overwhelmed with kindness and genoristy. Be safe, be savey, be open I am sure you will be enriched. Be fearful and limit yourself the terrorists win. Happy Cruising. Istanbul to Athens with Ephesus, the Dardenals was a fantastic cruise.