Solo discount

ncgolferette

I'm a solo traveler that booked a category C (ocean view) on the Koningsdam for next July. I received a 20 percent discount off the double rate. It was a savings of over $1200. I have always paid double in the past. Just wondering if HAL is finally giving solo travelers a break?

Let's hope so. I have never really understood why HAL doesn't offer singles discounts on lightly booked cruises especially for last minute booking where it is likely the cabin would go empty. I suspect there are a lot of singles who would jump at the chance to pay say 125-150% rate rather than the usual 200%.

Perhaps let singles register with Holland that they are interested in any last minute deals?

I'm a solo traveler that booked a category C (ocean view) on the Koningsdam for next July. I received a 20 percent discount off the double rate. It was a savings of over $1200. I have always paid double in the past. Just wondering if HAL is finally giving solo travelers a break?

I'm happy for you. Hope it's a new trend they may continue. :)

It used to be that solos paid 150% of anything without a veranda and 200% for veranda and up. I still find that once in a while. I agree that they are shooting themselves in the foot by not offering better solo rates. I think they would rather deeply discount two in a cabin and charge both the daily service charge.

They have the numbers and we do not. I think it highly likely the bean counters can provide the spread sheets that show two in a cabin will (usually ?) bring in more revenue than a solo. Why give us a discount if they can get the same amount fare for two as they would get for just one?

They have the numbers and we do not. I think it highly likely the bean counters can provide the spread sheets that show two in a cabin will (usually ?) bring in more revenue than a solo. Why give us a discount if they can get the same amount fare for two as they would get for just one?

Because in spite of offering all kinds of last minute discounts to couples they still sail with empty cabins and also have to be very sensitive to other couples who booked well in advance complaining about last minute discounts. The solo market could be a huge new source of last minute business.

Of course they would rather have two people in a room rather than one...but wouldn't everyone rather have one than none? A last minute discount to singles would not impact the previous booked doubles very much at all.

Because in spite of offering all kinds of last minute discounts to couples they still sail with empty cabins and also have to be very sensitive to other couples who booked well in advance complaining about last minute discounts. The solo market could be a huge new source of last minute business.

Of course they would rather have two people in a room rather than one...but wouldn't everyone rather have one than none? A last minute discount to singles would not impact the previous booked doubles very much at all.

For the last couple of years, different ships in the Caribbean, there were empty cabins -- HAL isn't sailing full on all cruises.

Agree that if HAL can offer some last minute deals to sell empty cabins at a reasonable rate to solo cruises, they should.

It used to be that solos paid 150% of anything without a veranda and 200% for veranda and up. I still find that once in a while.

Actually, I have found that quite a few of the cruises offer a single discount, varying from 15-50% on inside and OV rooms only. Seems to be on the ones not selling well and the shorter trips. Wish they would offer at least some discount on the verandahs and suites.

Hello "ncgolferette"

HAL do not really apply a reasonable solo discount – and this is the major reason why I did not book my so long planned grand world voyage with HAL…..:(

Happy cruising

G E R D

I have noticed Hal giving vp better rates on some cruises. I had a balcony booked on my Panama cruise next year. Due to my present financial situation I downgraded to an obstructed ocean view which was less than the 200%. Iirc it was 160.

It used to be that solos paid 150% of anything without a veranda and 200% for veranda and up. I still find that once in a while.

Actually, I have found that quite a few of the cruises offer a single discount, varying from 15-50% on inside and OV rooms only. Seems to be on the ones not selling well and the shorter trips. Wish they would offer at least some discount on the verandahs and suites.

I wish they would give some discount to solos who book cabins with verandahs. I am too used to having verandah to not have one now. :o

Not worth it to me to sail without one.

I wish they would give some discount to solos who book cabins with verandahs. I am too used to having verandah to not have one now. :o

Not worth it to me to sail without one.

That sure would be nice. It's going to be hard to do without the veranda.

Hello "cruz chic"

on the Ms Artania grand world cruise I do pay just 123 % for a second topmost level veranda cabin;)

Happy cruising

G E R D

Edited by Gerd

Hello "cruz chic"

on the Ms Artania grand world cruise I do pay just 123 % for a second topmost level veranda cabin;)

Happy cruising

G E R D

Hello and thx for the info but for right now the world cruise is out of my reach.

Hello "cruz chic"

I know what you mean – but I’m now retired and do have time….

And money wise speaking, it was a long and hard way to save the needed sum – oh yeah ;)

Happy cruising

G E R D

I have booked three OV cabins with HAL. The first two (21 day Panama Canal repositioning and 33 day Hawaii/Tahiti) were 165% for the single supplement. The Alaska cruise is 200% which seems to be true for all HAL Alaska cruises. Not sure why Alaska has a higher single supplement.

HAL do not really apply a reasonable solo discount – and this is the major reason why I did not book my so long planned grand world voyage with HAL…..:(

Happy cruising

G E R D

The same thing happened to me. Balconies on Amsterdam are pricey for the World Voyage and then the 200% supplement put it out of my price range. My balcony on QE was about $28,000 cheaper.

Hope you enjoy your World Voyage. It is a fantastic experience.

Hello "scrapnana"

thanks for your nice comment – and I cannot sit down and wait for the remaining 146 days until embarkation….:)

Happy cruising

G E R D

For some reason, HAL considers Lanais OVs for booking purposes. I have booked a Lanai Guarantee twice with a 160% supplement and have received upsells to Vistas at a reasonable price, well below 200%.

I wish that HAL would award perks and points commensurate with the percentage of the supplement as do some lines. Others have made the point on different threads that many solo onboard spending accounts for various reasons far exceed that of some couples.

I will probably get blasted for this, but I am a firm believer in cruise now, pay later. My only rule is the last one has to be paid in full before I board the next. Hence the 18 month wait between the Atlantic Adventurer and the Passage to the Far East!

Let's hope so. I have never really understood why HAL doesn't offer singles discounts on lightly booked cruises especially for last minute booking where it is likely the cabin would go empty. I suspect there are a lot of singles who would jump at the chance to pay say 125-150% rate rather than the usual 200%.

Perhaps let singles register with Holland that they are interested in any last minute deals?

Since I retired 2.5 years ago I try to book last minute cruises. HAL doesn't seem to give to many breaks to solo travellers. I'm willing to pay up to 150% but not 200%. And I love to travel solo.

Hello "ncgolferette"

Happy cruising

G E R D

HAL recently discounted single fares on the 2016 WC to 125% from the original 150% - at least for ocean view cabins. Loved the refund! The 2017 WC is still at 150% for an ocean view cabin but there is still time..... Hope they keep up this trend!