Flight time back to USA from Buenos Aires (Silver Explorer)

petlover

We will be going to Antarctica in January on Silver Explorer.

I'm not sure about booking our return flight back to USA from EZE. We'll be on a charter from Ushuaia back to Buenos Aires (landing at a different airport, not EZE airport). How much time should I allow on this last day, trying to look at return flight times and wondering if an International flight from EZE around 6:15pm is too early ?? They have flights as late as midnight etc. We are not doing a post stay in Buenos Aires and I have no idea the time to allow. I sure wouldn't want to cut it too close.

Thank you from a first timer to Antarctica.

With the caveat that this is 5-year-old information... Our flight home was at 9:30 and we weren't exactly overloaded with extra time.

As you point out, you have to transfer from the domestic airport (where the charter from USH lands) to EZE, where your international flight departs. Lots of opportunity for delays!

-Luggage claim at the domestic airport was interminably slow. And you can't check your bags through; you have to pick them up at the domestic airport and take them on the bus to EZE. Figure you won't be in your bus for at least an hour after landing.

-The bus ride to EZE was painful, over an hour, and in rush-hour traffic. Maybe this would be different on a weekend, but I don't know what day you're traveling.

-Big lines to check in at EZE; business class check-in slightly better but coach was very long.

-Passport control, security... I don't remember express lines for Business Class, but there may have been (or there may be now).

I remember that we had less than 1 hour from when we arrived at the gate, until boarding started (and we were in Business Class). I was surprised, because I thought we'd have more time.

I doubt that the timing of the flight from Ushuaia to BA will be substantially different that it was in the past but hopefully someone with more recent experience will chime in. Looking at the timestamp of our pictures on disembarkation day, we left town around 11, so I suspect our flight was about 12N - 3:30 or 4PM. That put us at EZE around 6:30.

So - unless things are different now, I'd be worried about leaving EZE that early.

With the caveat that this is 5-year-old information... Our flight home was at 9:30 and we weren't exactly overloaded with extra time.

As you point out, you have to transfer from the domestic airport (where the charter from USH lands) to EZE, where your international flight departs. Lots of opportunity for delays!

-Luggage claim at the domestic airport was interminably slow. And you can't check your bags through; you have to pick them up at the domestic airport and take them on the bus to EZE. Figure you won't be in your bus for at least an hour after landing.

-The bus ride to EZE was painful, over an hour, and in rush-hour traffic. Maybe this would be different on a weekend, but I don't know what day you're traveling.

-Big lines to check in at EZE; business class check-in slightly better but coach was very long.

-Passport control, security... I don't remember express lines for Business Class, but there may have been (or there may be now).

I remember that we had less than 1 hour from when we arrived at the gate, until boarding started (and we were in Business Class). I was surprised, because I thought we'd have more time.

I doubt that the timing of the flight from Ushuaia to BA will be substantially different that it was in the past but hopefully someone with more recent experience will chime in. Looking at the timestamp of our pictures on disembarkation day, we left town around 11, so I suspect our flight was about 12N - 3:30 or 4PM. That put us at EZE around 6:30.

So - unless things are different now, I'd be worried about leaving EZE that early.

Thank you so much for this information, exactly what I needed to know. I'm sorry for any confusion in my posting.

I will definitely allow more time than I originally thought was necessary...especially because it will be on a Thursday.

Edited by petlover

Take the last flight possible. Whether you are coming in to AEP on a charter or not, your airline out of EZE doesn't care if you were delayed and miss your flight...you are a no-show. Depending on your ticket, that could have ramifications. Build in as much time as possible. At the worst, you spend extra time at EZE. At best, you've covered operational issues in getting you out of USH. Plus, you have baggage collection at AEP, transfer time, and new checkin at EZE. Your bags will almost 100% NOT be through checked.

You don't mention the airlines, flights and cities involved, so that's the extent of the advice that I can give.

• 3 weeks later...

Petlover, we just booked the Explorer for January 2016 (1/3 incl. Falklands & So. Georgia). Same as your cruise?

Anyway, we're looking at a 10 pm flight on United non-stop to Houston & on to San Diego. I'd allow PLENTY of time between arriving at domestic airport for getting to int'l airport (they're quite a ways apart) & thru security. A late night flight will give you time for dinner at EZE.

Gnld,

I believe we are on the same cruise January 3-21, 2016.

We are using British Air Avios f.f. miles for our round trip LAX-EZE-LAX on LAN Airlines. There is a return flight leaving EZE @ 7:25pm but after reading comments I'm afraid we won't have enough time and may miss our flight home. Is this cutting it too close?

At the moment I've booked a flight for the next morning on LAN in Biz Class that leaves @ 8:15am to Lima, 1 hr. 35 minutes in Lima then a non-stop from Lima to LAX. This seems to be the safest though it does require an overnight (there's a Holiday Inn Express not too far from EZE Airport).

BTW, for those who have BA Avios f.f. miles, this is a great way to use them. Only 60,000 f.f. miles per person each way in Biz Class. AA and UAL want 150,000 miles per person each way.

Good idea for staying over 1 night. We did the 10pm United flight in 2014 and ended up with 1 hour free time. Those that had an earlier flight missed it.

Reason LAN flight from Ushuia was 2 hours late at 7pm. Plus the zoo getting bags at AEP. We did a private transfer so did not have to wait for a bus. Traffic was light because it was summer holiday time. Got to EZE and by 830pm we were in the lounge. So 90 minutes and everything went right after landing.

• 3 weeks later...

Petlover and glnd, we are also on the Jan 3, 2016 Silver Explorer and are also considering our return flights out of BA. Do you know what time the charter leaves Ushuaia? What is the arrival time back into BA? We appreciate any info you can provide!

If you have the opportunity to stay over night in Buenos Aires rather than try to get to EZE from AEP do it. I would never again take a Silversea charter flight and try to connect to another airport and flight the same day.

In 2012 we waited over 2 hours to get our luggage off the charter flight. It then took another 1.5 hours to get to EZE. When we got off the bus there were no porters or luggage carts. The lines for business/first class to check in weren't bad, but it was quite the wait to get through security and immigration. I was one of the last passengers to get on the plane.

If you do decide to try to leave the same night I recommend having a private transfer to EZE. Waiting for the buses was horrible as it was hot and there were lots of people smoking outside.

Whew...glad we are staying overnight and flying home the next morning. We will have already had a long enough day and reading your experiences confirms it. Dinner and a nice glass of wine sounds a whole lot better.

See you in 2 weeks Andrea!

Petlover and glnd, we are also on the Jan 3, 2016 Silver Explorer and are also considering our return flights out of BA. Do you know what time the charter leaves Ushuaia? What is the arrival time back into BA? We appreciate any info you can provide!

Before I made any definite flight plans, I would try to ascertain the times for the Ushuaia to

AEP charter. It was not the same in 2013 as it was in 2014, so it isn't safe to assume that

it is always the same schedule post cruise. We were booked on Classic Antarctica in Dec., 2013. Our departure from Ushuaia was to be 10:45 AM, arriving at the domestic BA airport

at 2:05 PM. Unfortunately, we ended up canceling at the last minute due to a death in the family and booked the identical cruise/same dates in 2014. I assumed that the charter times

would be the same, but I was mistaken. Our flight left Ushuaia at 1:15 PM and arrived in BA at 4:37 PM.

I would try to leave that evening, just to avoid another night at a hotel and trip back to an airport - but that is just my opinion. I agree with the posters above that the arrival on the charter into AEP Airport isn't the smoothest. The luggage took a long time and it would have

been stressful to have to wait for everyone to be rounded up for the trip to EZE Airport.

We had arranged a private transfer, so we were able to walk out of the airport much more quickly than did the people on the bus transfers. It was a Friday evening and the traffic

was absolutely awful, almost at a standstill for much of the way. Still, we arrived in plenty of

time to make our 9:35 PM international departure. The OP's 7:30 would have been almost

impossible, mostly due to traffic.

If Silversea will disclose the charter flight plans, it will make planning that evening easier. I just wanted to advise that the times for 2013 were different from those in 2014, so following

historical times might be misleading.

Actually, flying into AEP makes an overnight MUCH easier, and nicer, than if the charter arrived at EZE. You are a 15 minute (max) taxi to all of the nice areas of BA (lots of good lodging choices), plus it gives you another chance to experience this great city.

Unless I had an absolute need to return home (such as a family wedding or a million dollar business deal), I'd take the extra time and have some more fun while in the Southern Hemisphere. (Personally, I don't understand the great rush some folks have to get home. Trust me....the dog will still love you when you return. ;))

• 4 weeks later...

Browsed flights EZE-LAX. Best business class is on Copa leaving just after midnight 1/22. Plenty of time (probably too much!) between the charter landing at AEP and getting to EZE, maybe at rush hour. Will confirm charter flights before making any international flight reservations, of course.

We've been to BA twice before, and will have some free time there Jan. 2 as Copa flight from LAX lands EZE ~7am.

Gary

Browsed flights EZE-LAX. Best business class is on Copa leaving just after midnight 1/22. Plenty of time (probably too much!) between the charter landing at AEP and getting to EZE, maybe at rush hour. Will confirm charter flights before making any international flight reservations, of course.

We've been to BA twice before, and will have some free time there Jan. 2 as Copa flight from LAX lands EZE ~7am.

Before you plunk down money for a ticket, note that "business class" on Copa is FAR different than what you would get on DL, AA, LAN or other carriers.

Copa utilizes 737s for their routes, and "business" is similar to USA domestic first class. You will not find sleeper seats or flat beds or what is now the usual "business" product.

Now, if you are defining "best" as "cheapest", then perhaps you are correct. But in terms of the inflight product, it's far from that.

Before you plunk down money for a ticket, note that "business class" on Copa is FAR different than what you would get on DL, AA, LAN or other carriers.

Copa utilizes 737s for their routes, and "business" is similar to USA domestic first class. You will not find sleeper seats or flat beds or what is now the usual "business" product.

Now, if you are defining "best" as "cheapest", then perhaps you are correct. But in terms of the inflight product, it's far from that.

Thanks for the "heads up". Will have to check that out!

• 2 weeks later...

With the chatter on this thread about flights, I asked Jerry Joliff, my Silversea rep, about timing for the charter flight back to BA. Here's what he responded: "You will arrive back at the domestic airport between 4-6pm on the 21st. Kindly make flights after 9pm."

So only look for late night flights out of EZE back to the USA. Or stay the night in BA for a morning flight on the 22nd, if that works out better for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses to my question! Glnd, I got the same info from Silverseas regarding the time the charter returns. We are going to fly out of BA on the 21st as we are spending time in BA prior to the cruise and really need to get home afterwards. After the advice given in response to this thread, we are going to book private transfers rather than the bus transfers between airports. For those that have used private transfers, did you book through Silversea or did you use another vendor? Thanks for any input!

Edited by sunset sails

Thanks 57 varieties. We are planning to have our TA book for us. They are booking it through Silverseas. Just wondered if anyone had used another vendor or have gone through Silverseas. We'll actually be paying Silverseas for the transfer.