Explosions and gunfire reported at Instanbul airport

auldlassie

Just reading news reports breaking of two explosions and gunfire at Istanbul airport. Still not known what is really going on. Are any Seabourn cruises currently in the area? I know there has been discussion about Seabourn still cruising to Istanbul recently.

I can't imagine that the Encore is selling well with all those Turkish ports in 2017. I wonder if Seabourn will join the rest of the major cruise lines and cancel Turkey all together.

You will be fine. I applaud SEABOURN for not caving....we will embark August 27th with high hopes.

We're on the July 30th Istanbul departure. Seabourn has been great so far keeping the Turkish itineraries intact, which is important and I applaud them for it too. This attack however, is huge, with 50+ killed and scores injured, it really must be very 50/50 that any of the lines, Seabourn included, can avoid changing it now.

We'll be perfectly fine if they leave it, we're still happy to go to Istanbul, may switch to the other airport, but we're really expecting a change now.

Reaching out to our TA today, doubt we'll hear anything apart from the usual line but will report back if we do.

I can't imagine that the Encore is selling well with all those Turkish ports in 2017. I wonder if Seabourn will join the rest of the major cruise lines and cancel Turkey all together.

I suspect Carnival calls the shots. Carnival (Cunard, Holland America, Princess, and Seabourn) and Windstar are only Cruise Lines currently with schedules including Istanbul. http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-istanbul-turkey.html

I suspect Carnival calls the shots. Carnival (Cunard, Holland America, Princess, and Seabourn) and Windstar are only Cruise Lines currently with schedules including Istanbul. http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-istanbul-turkey.html

There's more than that. Celebrity and Cunard are still going, Silversea was there earlier this season and still has a couple of cruises scheduled.

Things will definitely change if the State Department or the UK FCO changes their travel assessment of the country, and may change if the line's HQ decides it's really become a safety issue.

Looking at the pictures it's not clear to me whether anyone is going to be flying in or out of Ataturk this weekend at least, it's a mess.

Edited by rols
terrible grammar

Such a tragic loss of life, it must have been a terrifying experience.

Seabourn have re-scheduled 2nd July cruise to now leave from Athens, still waiting for final details. Unfortunately unable to contact anyone at Seabourn due to time differences, even emergency line number doesn't seem to be answered. Guess they are trying to get their ducks in a row.

Edited by G2G

Such a tragic loss of life, it must have been a terrifying experience.

Seabourn have re-scheduled 2nd July cruise to now leave from Athens, still waiting for final details. Unfortunately unable to contact anyone at Seabourn due to time differences, even emergency line number doesn't seem to be answered. Guess they are trying to get their ducks in a row.

That makes sense - they really had to do something for this weekend's cruise as people are getting on planes and it's not clear how when the airport will be able to handle anything like the usual volume of flights. I have to say once they've changed one .. the chances are they'll change the rest are incrementally higher.

Edited by rols
bad spelling as well as awful grammar

Sad and terrible news. There are so many twisted minds at large in the world these days. Istanbul us an amazing city,, we are booked on Odyssey leaving Athens October 15, but I suspect that a rescheduling may take place after this. I do hope they keep the Turkish ports though. I will keep an eye on this forum for news and post here if I hear anything elsewhere.

Terrible news, Istanbul is a great city with many fabulous sites.

One of our best Seabourn moments was a leisurely meal outside the Colonade and watching the sun set, the mosques and minarets being lit and highlighting a stunning sky line, will we ever repeat it?

My condolences to all those killed and injured.

I agree with the sadness for Istanbul and am also on Odyssey out of IST on July 30 (with quite coincidentally two friends from home.). My TA says no changes (yet). Air travel should be fine by mid next week and as Ramadan is ending, hopefully there will be no other problems. Last year in Istanbul, Seabourn had excellent security, so I expect all will be well.

Awful, just seeing the first pictures on tv.

We're meant to board Odyssey this Saturday in Istanbul........

Have you heard from Seaborn? We have friends on the cruise that is supposed to arrive in Istanbul on Saturday. They were told they would not be going to Istanbul, but I have not heard what the alternate plan is. Good luck!

I do think that Seabourn should have made an announcement of some kind by now as to whether or not they are changing the itineraries. Both UK and the USA have now updated their travel advice in the light of recent events. Nothing to definitely rule out Istanbul, but its not encouraging. We feel as though we have been left in limbo. It would help to have it confirmed that nothing has changed for them if that is the case. I don't really feel that this sort of event is one you can ignore.

Edited by marama