Venice sightseeing in the day of disembarkation

Munaelisa

Hi cruisers,

We found an airplane ticket that arrives to Venice at 8:30AM and leave Venice at 8:30 PM . So we are thinking that we can check in early to the cruise at the arriving day and go for sightseeing and do the same thing when we get back as the ship arrive 8:00 AM si we have plenty of time to see Venice. But we don't know where to go with our luggage. Do you see this as a good plan knowing that we have 2 years old toddler with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Munaelisa, welcome to Cruise Critic.

Make sure you get back to the cruise pier in plenty of time to check-in.

Most cruise lines require you to be on board an hour and half before the ship departs.

So to be safe and issues you should plan on returning to the pier at least three hours before the ship leaves in case you run into the traffic.

Jonathan

Traffic is not going to be an issue once you get to the Piazale Roma...from the airport. The only "traffic" in Venice is that on the canals :). There is a luggage storage facility right in the Piazale Roma (for a price) where you could leave your luggage before exploring some of Venice. Here is a link to some info:

http://www.trasbagagli.it/en/pg/view/53/luggage-storage-venice-piazzale-roma-airport

Just make sure you get back to the P. Roma in enough time to retrieve your luggage, hop aboard the People Mover....and then walk from the People Mover to the check-in point. Sometimes there is a shuttle bus operating within the port that can take you from near the Port's People Mover station to the appropriate cruise terminal...but you cannot depend on that service. So when using the People Mover to go to the Port (this overhead rapid transit train runs between the Piazale Roma and the port (and then further onto a nearby island with parking lots)) you need to be capable of handling all your own luggage and being able to roll it to the appropriate port terminal building (where you check-in).

Hank

Just make sure you get back to the P. Roma in enough time to retrieve your luggage, hop aboard the People Mover....and then walk from the People Mover to the check-in point. Sometimes there is a shuttle bus operating within the port that can take you from near the Port's People Mover station to the appropriate cruise terminal...but you cannot depend on that service. So when using the People Mover to go to the Port (this overhead rapid transit train runs between the Piazale Roma and the port (and then further onto a nearby island with parking lots)) you need to be capable of handling all your own luggage and being able to roll it to the appropriate port terminal building (where you check-in).

Hank

Thank you for the detailed explanation of how to get to the port; we'll be staying in Mestre for a couple of days prior to our cruise in October, and I was wondering how we'd get there. You've simplified the process for me!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Hi Munaelisa, welcome to Cruise Critic.

Make sure you get back to the cruise pier in plenty of time to check-in.

Most cruise lines require you to be on board an hour and half before the ship departs.

So to be safe and issues you should plan on returning to the pier at least three hours before the ship leaves in case you run into the traffic.

Jonathan

Thank you for bringing the traffic issue out .. I didn't think of it.

Traffic is not going to be an issue once you get to the Piazale Roma...from the airport. The only "traffic" in Venice is that on the canals :). There is a luggage storage facility right in the Piazale Roma (for a price) where you could leave your luggage before exploring some of Venice. Here is a link to some info:

http://www.trasbagagli.it/en/pg/view/53/luggage-storage-venice-piazzale-roma-airport

Hank

That's a lot of information. Thank you very much I will check the website you sent for luggage.

That's a lot of information. Thank you very much I will check the website you sent for luggage.

I should have also mentioned the ATVO Express bus. This is a direct bus line that runs between the Piazale Roma and Marco Polo airport. We really like this transportation because the buses are actually luxury coaches with nearly unlimited luggage storage space underneath. Here is a link the the ATVO web site and the info on the Marco Polo airport bus is the first line item:

http://www.atvo.it/en-venice-airport.html

Hank

On disembarkation day most cruise lines offer a sightseeing tour that ends at the airport. The luggage is carried in the luggage bay of the sightseeing bus and offloaded at the airport. This might be an option for you.

Doing sightseeing walking with a toddler in Venice is difficult because of all the stairs up and down crossing the canals. Also the cobblestones make pushing a stroller difficult.

Thank you very much :)

I hate to rain on your parade but you might want to consider getting a ticket that arrives at least a day before your cruise departs or buy cruise insurance. We just got back from a cruise from Venice. Our flight to Venice got cancelled (American Air) and delayed us an entire day. Thank goodness we planned on arriving Friday for a Sunday departure. As for sightseeing in Venice, it is VERY crowded. (Imagine a summer day at the Magic Kingdom.) I would be wary of venturing too far from the boat with the timetable you mentioned, especially with a toddler. I think the advice about giving yourself 3 hours at least is solid. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Hi cruisers,

We found an airplane ticket that arrives to Venice at 8:30AM and leave Venice at 8:30 PM . So we are thinking that we can check in early to the cruise at the arriving day and go for sightseeing and do the same thing when we get back as the ship arrive 8:00 AM si we have plenty of time to see Venice. But we don't know where to go with our luggage. Do you see this as a good plan knowing that we have 2 years old toddler with us.

I think you mean HOPE it "arrives to Venice at 8:30 AM."

Hi cruisers,

I am one of those who will always recommend that arriving one or two days before embarkation is the best strategy. And I will always plan to stay at least a day after disembarkation so that my last day of the cruise isn't spent obsessing about travel arrangements. However, if you do go with your 0830 arrival on the day of, and 2030 departure on the day of, then I would recommend that you do not try to "see Venice." Particularly not during tourist season, particularly not with a toddler. Instead, first read some guide books. Rick Steves and Anna Vipond are my two authors of choice. Many others give detail on Venice. Choose one single sight that is a must-see for you. Plan to go there, see that, then onward with your transportation. E.g., you could plan to walk to the Rialto bridge, have a coffee & snack at a canal side cafe, maybe visit the adjoining fish market, then go catch your ship or airplane. Or you could take a vaparetto to the St Marks stop, look at the plaza, and walk back to the Piazzale Roma. Either of these might give you a flavor of the city, but you need several days to begin to really see Venice. If you try to get into St. Marks Cathedral or the bell tower or other major site, you will spend most of your time standing in line.