MSC Divina MDR Dress Code

Reds4life

As a first time cruiser, I am curious as to what to expect with the dress code at the MDR. My wife and I both work professional jobs which require us to dress up and, to be honest, aren't really looking forward to dressing up extensively just to eat a sit down meal. Usually when on vacation I wear basically golf attire and that's suitable for any place we go to eat. My wife generally wears capris and a short sleeved top. We have read these stories of people wearing tuxedos and formal gowns and that's just hard for us to understand. In short, what's the minimum we can get by with on each night to eat dinner in the MDR without someone from the restaurant saying something to us?

As a first time cruiser, I am curious as to what to expect with the dress code at the MDR. My wife and I both work professional jobs which require us to dress up and, to be honest, aren't really looking forward to dressing up extensively just to eat a sit down meal. Usually when on vacation I wear basically golf attire and that's suitable for any place we go to eat. My wife generally wears capris and a short sleeved top. We have read these stories of people wearing tuxedos and formal gowns and that's just hard for us to understand. In short, what's the minimum we can get by with on each night to eat dinner in the MDR without someone from the restaurant saying something to us?

There is always a lot of debate on this but I will tell you what I saw on the Divina in December. The "golf attire" is fine for all non formal night nights. (minus the spikes):). I wore khakis or slacks (who uses the word slacks anymore? What am i, my father) Anyway, with a polo shirt or a Tommy Bahama type shirt. That was done by most men. What you describe for women is fine too. Lots of light dresses as well. You will be fine. On formal night, there were a few tuxedos and gowns, but most men were in suit and tie or sport coat, pants and tie. Women wore dresses but not necessarily gowns. One formal night I wore a suit with an open collar shirt, then noticed that there was a bit of that too. Before the cruise I was concerned about this as well as a lot of threads stressed a more formal dress code...but it was no different than what I was used to from Princess or Disney.

Thank you for your help. Another concern is packing clothes for the flight. Since on most airlines bags are costly, we try to minimize the amount of clothing we bring. And, truthfully, when would I wear a sports coat other than to the formal night dinner in the middle of the Caribbean lol? I'm thinking if the golf polo and slacks doesn't cut it then we might just go t shirt and khaki shorts and hit the buffet or sports bar that night. How many "formal" nights are there?

Thank you for your help. Another concern is packing clothes for the flight. Since on most airlines bags are costly, we try to minimize the amount of clothing we bring. And, truthfully, when would I wear a sports coat other than to the formal night dinner in the middle of the Caribbean lol? I'm thinking if the golf polo and slacks doesn't cut it then we might just go t shirt and khaki shorts and hit the buffet or sports bar that night. How many "formal" nights are there?

You can skip packing the sport coat and tie and be fine in the dining rooms. That's what I saw on Divina in October for "formal" night.

I just want to be clear because I have cruised Disney, RCCL, and Carnival and so has my 11yr old son. We are going on the Divina in a couple of months. My son wears shorts and polo shirts on most cruises to the MDR. Will he not be allowed to eat because of shorts. My final payment is due and this cruiseline may not work for us.

I just want to be clear because I have cruised Disney, RCCL, and Carnival and so has my 11yr old son. We are going on the Divina in a couple of months. My son wears shorts and polo shirts on most cruises to the MDR. Will he not be allowed to eat because of shorts. My final payment is due and this cruiseline may not work for us.

MSC is more formal then CArnival for sure. How old is your son ? He my be able to come on regular nights but not on formal nights for sure.

you can always eat in buffet on formal nights or book special restaurant .

We saw young boys in smart shorts.

What upset me though was the young lady on the next table had a different pair of shoes every night and my DH limited me to how many I could pack!

He did point out to me that she was only 2 though.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

MSC is more formal then CArnival for sure. How old is your son ? He my be able to come on regular nights but not on formal nights for sure.

He is 11yrs old. He has been cruising since he was 2 and half. He has always worn nice shorts and polo shirts and nice sandals, flip flops or sperry boat shoes in the MDR. On formal nights he wears slacks and button down and tie. Will he not be allowed in the MDR with shorts?

I know we looked at the daily program and thought omg we have to dress up again :eek: :p however, in reality, a pair khakis with a nice golf shirt for men, a sun dress, or a pair capris and nice top for the ladies is really all you need. On our cruise over NYE, the only evening we saw lots dressed any different was NYE itself and even then just some people to some extent. For the other formal night (yes there were two) DH just wore a nice shirt with dress pants (no jacket or tie) and I wore a nice top with a skirt.

I agree packing can be a chore, don't overpack, don't worry if you don't bring a sports jacket. If your wife likes to wear skirts or pants with nice tops, that's fine too.

Never saw any children turned away at the dining room and some looked very handsome in their nice shorts and tops.

One thing I didn't see were men or boys in tank tops.

Go with an open mind and enjoy cruise.

We saw young boys in smart shorts.

What upset me though was the young lady on the next table had a different pair of shoes every night and my DH limited me to how many I could pack!

He did point out to me that she was only 2 though.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

LOL,,,, My son is 11 yrs old and that's basically what I had planned for him to wear. Dress slacks/Colored Khakis and polo shirts.Hope this will be ok on the Divina.

LOL,,,, My son is 11 yrs old and that's basically what I had planned for him to wear. Dress slacks/Colored Khakis and polo shirts.Hope this will be ok on the Divina.

I'm sure he'll be fine. Talk to the Maitre'd and explain that your son will be dressed nicely, but in shorts.

We are sailing this weekend. My boys are 8 and 11. We are doing khakis and dress shirts on formal nights (and I've decided on one pants pair each and I have my shout wipes..lol) and sharp shorts and polo shirts on the other evenings. I can let you know how it goes when we get back! Honestly, as long as they are presentable I don't see how they would turn children away. Adults on the other hand....

I got off the Divina on 2/4/17. I can tell you that even on "formal" nights, there were LOTS of people dressed as you described. No need to pack what you don't want to wear....

Kim

YOU CAN WEAR SHORTS IN THE MDR ON NON GALA NIGHTS. You both will be fine. On gala nights people do dress up more then other lines but you don't have to or you can go to the buffet on gala nights.

We are sailing this weekend. My boys are 8 and 11. We are doing khakis and dress shirts on formal nights (and I've decided on one pants pair each and I have my shout wipes..lol) and sharp shorts and polo shirts on the other evenings. I can let you know how it goes when we get back! Honestly, as long as they are presentable I don't see how they would turn children away. Adults on the other hand....

Please let me know.Were flying and I am not packing a whole lot. Could you also let me know if your 11 yr old like the kids club and if he does the 4 D theater or simulator.

Will do!

Thanks and by chance could you find out about the XD Pass? I have called but MSC says they don't know much but, they did say there is a pass but I would have to find out once aboard. I think my 11yr old would love it. We did the 4D theater pass on the Breeze and it was fantastic.

Thanks and by chance could you find out about the XD Pass? I have called but MSC says they don't know much but, they did say there is a pass but I would have to find out once aboard. I think my 11yr old would love it. We did the 4D theater pass on the Breeze and it was fantastic.

Will try!!