I have to vent

jrbeccles

OK I know as a Disney Annual pass holder that Disney is expensive. I pay my sizable dollar dues every month, and my DW and I go to Walt Disney World every other month for a long weekend. We eat and drink at the parks and at Disney Springs and pay a fortune for food and wine and beer. But still no complaints, as I know what its going to cost and we have a great time. We are booked for our fifth Disney cruise this October (again very pricy but again no complaints) as I thought it would be fun to see the ship decked out for Halloween. I also thought it would be a hoot to stay at Disney the night before the cruise and go to Mickeys Not So Scary night to really get into the Halloween theme. But when I went to buy tickets the bill for two tickets was over $200! No AP discounts this year for October, and no Disney Visa card discount. This is way more than we paid last year for this same event. So here Disney has finally crossed the Rubicon for me and I'm not buying the tickets. I'll go to another park or Disney Springs and enjoy the night before the cruise anyway. Plus I'll have an extra $200 for wine on the ship.

Sorry but I just had to vent on this very very expensive event. I think Disney is really pressing the money boundaries for a lot of loyal folks.

I'm a Disney AP holder as well. Two days after I bought it, the price went up $100 pp . I would not have bought it a that price. Disney has finally priced me out. I usually go three times a year and now will look at more cruises and land vacations. Too bad, I love the mouse.

We have been DVC members for 15 years and we don't get any kind of real discount on tickets. So we are on a Disney break after our Aug cruise will not return to the parks till the new venues have opened. Will not pay those prices to ride the same rides and see the same shows we have seen a hundred times before!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

What part of your post are you not complaining? I am still looking for the no complaint part.

Didn't complain about the prices for food and drinks

Don't complain about the increased price of the AP membership

Not bothered about paying double to go on a Disney cruise vs. say NCL

Could care less about the price of tours in the parks as we have taken most of them

Just a bit ticked off about an almost 30% raise in price on a special event. Simple

Wait, you're going to show Disney you're upset about their prices by spending your money with Disney at another location? That'll show em! ;)

I made no claims about being smart!!

As I said we love Disney Springs and have no problem spending there, and yes Disney will rake it in from us that evening. But it will be on pints at Raglan Road, and a minor pub crawl across the various other bars.

I'm done ranting now - thanks for good replies.

Although I now live in Nashville, I grew up in Orlando and spent most of my weekends at many of the Disney Parks. We always had annual passes or season passes (does anyone remember those 4 season passes?). Anyway, I have watched the steady increase of cost in Disney and it makes me sick. To be honest, this was never what Walt Disney wanted and would be rolling in his grave. He wanted everyone to be able to experience the joy and magic of his amusement parks, but now an average family can't afford to go to a park, let alone a cruise.

When it costs over $100 per person to attend one park for one day (this is not a park hopper pass), then that is getting out of line. Not to mention the cost of eating or drinking in there.

Florida residents used to get pretty good discounts, even if they weren't annual passholders, now there's not much of a benefit.

I'll vent too;) We are set to renew our WDW AP in July. With the new pricing structure, to keep the same type of AP (which would be the "Gold" pass) the monthly payment on our passes would increase by nearly $30/month more than we are currently paying:eek: Needless to say, if we DO renew, I'll have to downgrade to the "Silver" which is with blackout dates and will be the same monthly payment as what we are paying now.

Edited by carterd2002

Even better, there's now an ADD ON dessert party with preferred seating for parade and fireworks and you still need to buy the MNSSHP ticket!

OK I know as a Disney Annual pass holder that Disney is expensive. I pay my sizable dollar dues every month, and my DW and I go to Walt Disney World every other month for a long weekend. We eat and drink at the parks and at Disney Springs and pay a fortune for food and wine and beer. But still no complaints, as I know what its going to cost and we have a great time. We are booked for our fifth Disney cruise this October (again very pricy but again no complaints) as I thought it would be fun to see the ship decked out for Halloween. I also thought it would be a hoot to stay at Disney the night before the cruise and go to Mickeys Not So Scary night to really get into the Halloween theme. But when I went to buy tickets the bill for two tickets was over $200! No AP discounts this year for October, and no Disney Visa card discount. This is way more than we paid last year for this same event. So here Disney has finally crossed the Rubicon for me and I'm not buying the tickets. I'll go to another park or Disney Springs and enjoy the night before the cruise anyway. Plus I'll have an extra $200 for wine on the ship.

Sorry but I just had to vent on this very very expensive event. I think Disney is really pressing the money boundaries for a lot of loyal folks.

ok i know as a disney annual pass holder that disney is expensive. I pay my sizable dollar dues every month, and my dw and i go to walt disney world every other month for a long weekend. We eat and drink at the parks and at disney springs and pay a fortune for food and wine and beer. But still no complaints, as i know what its going to cost and we have a great time. We are booked for our fifth disney cruise this october (again very pricy but again no complaints) as i thought it would be fun to see the ship decked out for halloween. I also thought it would be a hoot to stay at disney the night before the cruise and go to mickeys not so scary night to really get into the halloween theme. But when i went to buy tickets the bill for two tickets was over $200! No ap discounts this year for october, and no disney visa card discount. This is way more than we paid last year for this same event. So here disney has finally crossed the rubicon for me and i'm not buying the tickets. I'll go to another park or disney springs and enjoy the night before the cruise anyway. Plus i'll have an extra $200 for wine on the ship.

Sorry but i just had to vent on this very very expensive event. I think disney is really pressing the money boundaries for a lot of loyal folks.

alia iacta est!

We agree that if Walt showed up today it would kill him again! We have been Disney fans for a long time, DVC members for over 20+ years, platinum DCL cruisers, Disney investors, but all that is coming to an end.

The mouse has priced us out to the point we only return when we believe there is enough 'new'' stuff to make it enjoyable . The old rides, old shows, old restaurants just don't make it worthwhile. We will wait a few more years for WDW and will return to the Wonder after she comes out of dry dock this year.

I am with you. I am also a WDW AP holder and I feel the parks experience is being upcharge leveraged into absurdity. I have previously been comfortable paying a premium for the WDW magic. After the addition of the Premium before and after hours experience this spring, I had a bit of epiphany that what used to be sorta fun (planning a WDW vacation) is now a huge hassle and stress. I am not in a position to stay up all night to hit my Fastpass or ADR window to ensure a seamless theme park experience, and I resent they are asking to suck an additional $150 dollars for the MK after hours experience. I think have hit my price point.

I find myself contrasting this with the experience of a DCL cruise which is so much more relaxing and enjoyable. I know it is the same corporate entity but my feelings toward WDW are becoming more jaded because it is not much fun. The holiday parties were completely overbooked last year and kind of a torture to watch the parades, even with staking a spot an hour early.

I agree that my boundaries have been pressed this year and I am reflecting where my vacation dollar will take me that isn't a Disney Park.

I'm a new Disney vacationer and my mother, daughter, and I are doing 3 nights at Disney World before the cruise that departs 10/31. I am choosing not to do the Halloween party at DW since there will be one on the ship. I am, however, doing the Bibbidi Bobbity for my daughter at MK. Gotta pick and choose where your $200 goes sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You are quite more tolerant than I am. I came to this conclusion a couple of years ago. We probably will never see gold in the Castaway Club, which would be our next cruise. And I am not sure we will ever get annual passes again and I have not been to Disney Springs since before construction started.

My main objection is the crowds. It used to be there were certain times of the year that were not so busy so as a Central Florida resident I was content just going at those times. But they found out ways to market where it is always too crowded and it is not worth it for me to spend thousands of dollars to mingle with tens of thousands strangers.

I am with you. I am also a WDW AP holder and I feel the parks experience is being upcharge leveraged into absurdity. I have previously been comfortable paying a premium for the WDW magic. After the addition of the Premium before and after hours experience this spring, I had a bit of epiphany that what used to be sorta fun (planning a WDW vacation) is now a huge hassle and stress. I am not in a position to stay up all night to hit my Fastpass or ADR window to ensure a seamless theme park experience, and I resent they are asking to suck an additional $150 dollars for the MK after hours experience. I think have hit my price point.

I find myself contrasting this with the experience of a DCL cruise which is so much more relaxing and enjoyable. I know it is the same corporate entity but my feelings toward WDW are becoming more jaded because it is not much fun. The holiday parties were completely overbooked last year and kind of a torture to watch the parades, even with staking a spot an hour early.

I agree that my boundaries have been pressed this year and I am reflecting where my vacation dollar will take me that isn't a Disney Park.

They do this because they CAN. If enough people get to the point of you and OP and I maybe something will change. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

My main objection is the crowds. It used to be there were certain times of the year that were not so busy so as a Central Florida resident I was content just going at those times. But they found out ways to market where it is always too crowded and it is not worth it for me to spend thousands of dollars to mingle with tens of thousands strangers.

That is my issue too - there really are no slow months or weeks anymore. I am seriously reconsidering renewing our annual passes when they come due this July. I think we'll wait until HS gets all their new rides/areas in place.

WDC is in the enviable position of having demand for their products outstrip supply. The biggest guests complaints are long lines and huge crowds. Special events like the Haloween and Christmas parties are in huge demand. What's a company to do? They have two options. Raise prices or ration the product. Being not-insane, they have opted to raise prices. While those that pretend to know how Walt Disney would react recoil in horror, the owners of the company, the shareholders rejoice.

Disney is a premium product and for that they can and do command a premium price. It's their right and their responsibility.

Of everything I have read of anger over prices, etc., the "pretend they know Walt Disney" is probably the most accurate. Everywhere I look, on forums, on Facebook, many people who are angry about pricing structures or exclusive high-priced events claim that Walt is spinning is grave. But Roy's pretty darn happy I guess :D

Because in all honesty no one can say what "Walt would have wanted" - and the current responsibility is to the shareholders - otherwise the Board will be in dereliction of their duty.

Edited by axelskater

Unfortunately, the stock is performing relatively poorly, so I feel disappointed both as a stockholder and as a patron. What I have experienced is that the quality of the product (WDW) is decreasing and the price is increasing. As far as the parks are concerned, that does not ensure my loyalty as a consumer.

Unfortunately, the stock is performing relatively poorly, so I feel disappointed both as a stockholder and as a patron. What I have experienced is that the quality of the product (WDW) is decreasing and the price is increasing. As far as the parks are concerned, that does not ensure my loyalty as a consumer.

Yep... down over 8% since May 23rd, 2015.

Darn those pesky facts! ;)

WDC is in the enviable position of having demand for their products outstrip supply. The biggest guests complaints are long lines and huge crowds. Special events like the Haloween and Christmas parties are in huge demand. What's a company to do? They have two options. Raise prices or ration the product. Being not-insane, they have opted to raise prices. While those that pretend to know how Walt Disney would react recoil in horror, the owners of the company, the shareholders rejoice.

Disney is a premium product and for that they can and do command a premium price. It's their right and their responsibility.

Thank you, Host Mick, for bringing basic economics into the conversation. While the stock price may be down over the last year, that has more to do with concerns about the future of cable than its theme parks and cruise line. The fact is supply & demand dictate prices, period. If you think they charge too much, then it is your right to take your dollar votes elsewhere. If enough do that, then Disney will adjust accordingly.

As sad as it may make us, Disney will charge the highest price the market will bear. And there's nothing really wrong about that unless you don't believe in capitalism.

Edited by Ray3127