Ranger's TA Thread - And So It Begins

Winchester Ranger

Typing on a phone can be tricky, so while this may get somewhat more wordy, for right now I'm posting bullets as reminders. Just checked in and sat waiting patiently to board. QM2 looks radiant.

The bullets for later elaboration (when I can find a keyboard).

- Crazy cab driver, ouch

- Aloft Brooklyn and Kathryn

- Fabulous weather

- First sight of the ship

- Boarding times

- Lines, complete absence thereof

- Passenger demographic

- Terminal personnel

- DW not happy, threatening to sell my Abba collection

So this will be an entirely personal ramble, my own travelogue if you will. I hope you enjoy it.

They are starting boarding now, all by the numbers. Here I go 😀

I am with you in spirit, WR. :)

Promise your DW the next crossing. You will have such fun showing her the ship!

First glimpse of the QM2 does steal one's heart.

Thank you for taking us with you.

PS Computers (with handy keyboards) are on deck 2/3L forward in Connections.

Edited by jimmybean

Hello Winchester Ranger.I am really looking forward to your entries.Please though concentrate on having a good.We must come second.I have just had a look at the web cam it looks a little murky.I will try and stay up long enough to watch you leave.

Rodger.

Settled into my stateroom and I actually drank the Pol Acker - apparently I have no shame. I did a tour of the ship with my iPhone in reverse FaceTime mode so DW could see the ship, when I arrived at the Champagne Bar and pointed the camera at a table for 2 and mused aloud "well I wonder who will be sitting in the other chair" DW went strangely silent.

I ran into a fun couple of ladies who met on board and did the outbound trip together doubling it up with the return - now that's the way to do it. They warned me to avoid terminal bores at dinner - I just hope it's not me !!

QM2's interior still looks fresh unless you look really closely but unfortunately I was greeted with the aftermath of a flood on deck 6 about 5 doors down from me - someone isn't going to be happy, but such things happen.

So much to explore - it's a big ship, all I need now is my luggage and I'm all set.

Wish you could all be here with me !!

I'm betting Winchester Ranger is (choose one or more):

(a) having too much fun to post

(b) suffering effects of yesterday's Pol Acker

© horrified by cost of internet on the QM2

(d) lost on deck 12

(e) searching for a present (for his DW) at Hermes

(f) checking on that pod situation for us...

(d) lost on deck 12

I'm guessing (a) having too much fun to post! Those sea days are the best.:D

(d) lost on deck 12

Love this Jimmybean!

J

Oh you are a demanding lot :p

Ok, so where to begin. Yes, now I know that drinking half a bottle of Pol Acker will give you a banging headache, and it's funny how many other people made the same comment. Best advice - don't drink it.

Random comment - I LOVE this ship, but she is determined to confuse me as I try and find my way around her. My own personal trick is to not the stairwell nearest where I want to go (A,B,C,D) and then simply walk down my deck to the right spot and drop down on the location. Going to a lower deck and trying to "walk through" never seems to work but I'm sure there is a knack to it.

Food - started out good, and has definitely got better. Last night was fillet steak with roast potatoes - a major highlight and cooked to perfection, the night before feature crepe suzette with vanilla ice cream which was to die for. My routine is breakfast in the room, lunch in the Golden Lion, and then Brittania for dinner at my big table, speaking of which I'm planning a change for tonight as some of my fellow tablemates are getting a little too rowdy as the wine flows so I'm feeling for specialty dining tonight.

The lectures are absolutely fantastic, I just listened to Maureen Ryan's presentation on her Cunard experiences as a purser on QE and QM - absolutely superb, what an amazing lady, the highlight of my trip so far.

My own excesses include drinking vodka martinis at Midnight with Barbara, a rather spritely 69 year old former flight attendant who expressed her amazement that I gave up at "only 1am" as I staggered to the elevators, I swear there were 12 elevators that night and not the usual 6 in the main lobby. I also met a young Polish guy at the singles meet and greet and the rest of that day disappeared in a foggy Golden Lion type haze as we sampled everything on the top shelf. More headaches.

The weather has turned decidedly chilly compared to the shirt sleeve conditions we had for the first 2 days, but it's still remarkably mild for the time of year.

The good news is that DW is returning my emails and talking about us doing this as a couple next year, so I appear to be back in good books :o

Now I need to figure out dinner, hit the spa for some sauna and steamroom sessions, find the Churchill Cigar Lounge (I'm not a smoker but will puff on a solitary cigar just for the experience of it), and get back in the champagne, ah yes, I'm afraid my consumption of that delightful substance has been excessive but I can at least confirm that Veuve Clicquot does not give you the headache that Pol Ackers finest furniture polish most certainly does.

I don't think I'll want to get off - seriously considering living permanently on board.

If I'm not boring you, there's more to come :D

I'm just rushing out to buy some popcorn before the shops close for Sunday...don't keep us waiting too long for the next instalment. ;)

Delighted to hear you enjoyed listening to Maureen Ryan.....Did you know that she can be always be found on the QM2, 24/7, 365 days of the year ....She never gets off !

Need a clue ? ;)

I'm just rushing out to buy some popcorn before the shops close for Sunday...don't keep us waiting too long for the next instalment. ;) Delighted to hear you enjoyed listening to Maureen Ryan.....Did you know that she can be always be found on the QM2, 24/7, 365 days of the year ....She never gets off ! Need a clue ? ;)
I love listening to her speak (so informative) every time I'm on board... ;) Edited by pepperrn

Wonderful to hear from you Winchester Ranger

Ok, so where to begin. Yes, now I know that drinking half a bottle of Pol Acker will give you a banging headache, and it's funny how many other people made the same comment. Best advice - don't drink it.
We do our best to warn people ;)
Random comment - I LOVE this ship,
So, the great lady has another fan! So very pleased to read this. She cast a spell on me almost ten years ago... I'm very happy to say!
... Food - started out good, and has definitely got better. Last night was fillet steak with roast potatoes - a major highlight and cooked to perfection, the night before feature crepe suzette with vanilla ice cream which was to die for. My routine is breakfast in the room, lunch in the Golden Lion, and then Brittania for dinner at my big table, speaking of which I'm planning a change for tonight as some of my fellow tablemates are getting a little too rowdy as the wine flows so I'm feeling for specialty dining tonight. The lectures are absolutely fantastic, I just listened to Maureen Ryan's presentation on her Cunard experiences as a purser on QE and QM - absolutely superb, what an amazing lady, the highlight of my trip so far. My own excesses include drinking vodka martinis at Midnight with Barbara, a rather spritely 69 year old former flight attendant who expressed her amazement that I gave up at "only 1am" as I staggered to the elevators, I swear there were 12 elevators that night and not the usual 6 in the main lobby. I also met a young Polish guy at the singles meet and greet and the rest of that day disappeared in a foggy Golden Lion type haze as we sampled everything on the top shelf. More headaches. The weather has turned decidedly chilly compared to the shirt sleeve conditions we had for the first 2 days, but it's still remarkably mild for the time of year. The good news is that DW is returning my emails and talking about us doing this as a couple next year, so I appear to be back in good books :o Now I need to figure out dinner, hit the spa for some sauna and steamroom sessions, find the Churchill Cigar Lounge (I'm not a smoker but will puff on a solitary cigar just for the experience of it), and get back in the champagne, ah yes, I'm afraid my consumption of that delightful substance has been excessive but I can at least confirm that Veuve Clicquot does not give you the headache that Pol Ackers finest furniture polish most certainly does.
Don't forget the Commodore Club pre/post dinner (best to arrive, and depart via the outside scenic lifts), Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room, the Chart Room, G32, Library, The Royal Court, the Promenade, Deck 12 Pool... etc
I don't think I'll want to get off - seriously considering living permanently on board.
I know what you mean (I tried that once... Tip; They search the lifeboats. Next time I'll be more inventive ;) ).
If I'm not boring you, there's more to come :D
Please! Loving your postings so far, keep 'em coming, thank you :) Edited by pepperrn

It helped me learn the QM2 when I realized each staircase has a different color carpet. I can't tell you how many voyages before I noticed this : )

Not all decks offer opportunity to walk the length of the ship. Although you can "sneak" though the MDR (when it is closed) to get to the Queen's Room.

Looking forward to your next report.

Jimmybean

Oh dear! I think Winchester Ranger has developed QM2-itis.:D:D

We did warn you about the Pol Aker.

Thanks for posting, I'm glad to hear all is going well.

What an expensive ailment to develop! I am sure there is no known cure.