Veterans travelling on CUNARD

JackTar123

Welcome to Cruise Critic, military OBC is available on Early Saver and Cunard fares but not on Late Saver fares.

I must admit, I wasn't aware of the restriction so thanks for mentioning it.

Edited by Host Hattie

"Cunard is pleased to offer a special military personnel onboard credit programme. This programme is available to active military, retired military and disabled military veterans with proper identification in the following service divisions: United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves, Canadian National Defence, United Kingdom Military Personnel, Royal Australian Navy, Army, Air Force, and Royal New Zealand Navy, Army or Air Force..." for additional details and application, see http://www.cunard.com/campaigns/military-cruise-benefit-programme/?id=3934

It takes them some time to process the benefit. You have to send in the forms well in advance of the cruise. We got ours for our upcoming sailing, but missed out on the previous cruise because we failed to make the deadline. It's a lovely gesture and we appreciate the sentiment. We'll buy a bottle of wine with it and raise a toast Cunard, the USMC and the Royal Marines.

After reading this thread earlier today I rang Cunard and explained that we were both ex-RAF. We have had $50 each credited to our OBC for next December's TA - an email confirming this was sent immediately - but will need to present proof of service on board. It was very easy.

Also note that there is liberal interpretation of the term "retired" when you look at the details of the program as listed on the application form, to include honorably discharged veterans with minimum 2 years service or 6 months in a war zone.

I've made my last few bookings while onboard; at least in those cases Cunard has begun to "remember" my status so that I don't have to submit the application again. It may be different when making a normal booking.

Edited by Underwatr

The link provided by Salacia indicates that military OBC can be combined with other offers but application must be made at least 14 days before sailing. So the OP must have booked very late or had a promotional fare. (*Employees, travel agents cruising at travel agent rates, tour conductors or anyone cruising on a reduced rate or complimentary basis are excluded.)

Thank you for your responses and for those travelling on any Carnival owned lines the benefit may be there so please check.

My comment is that if the benefit is there for veterans then there should be no discrimination due to the fare paid, all veterans or none should get the benefit it should not be dependent on the fare paid, or will it be only grill passengers next who qualify.

Well, it is after all a marketing scheme, not an entitlement.

Princess has pretty much the same benefit (and they're better at communicating it to their potential passengers). Carnival only has a military fare, and the one time I cruised with them there were other discounts/promotions for which I ended up slightly better off.

Thank you for your responses and for those travelling on any Carnival owned lines the benefit may be there so please check.

My comment is that if the benefit is there for veterans then there should be no discrimination due to the fare paid, all veterans or none should get the benefit it should not be dependent on the fare paid, or will it be only grill passengers next who qualify.

All of us want the best price possible for anything that we buy. However I have to disagree with you because you are already getting a steep discount and no cruise line has the obligation to give additional discounting through OBC. (In no other business can a company offer a customer a bargain and yet have that customer believe it's still not enough.)

I hope you will remember why you booked and can enjoy your voyage knowing that you got a terrific price. It would be sad if an attempt to squeeze additional discounting caused you to board in a state of resentment and it clouded your entire voyage.

What proof is required not sure if we have anything after 50 years all I can remember is my last 3 numbers, and thats on a good day:rolleyes:

At the link mentioned above, click through to the PDF application. There it says, "UK: Appropriate proof of service issued by the MOD."

Whatever that might be. :)

• 6 months later...
At the link mentioned above, click through to the PDF application. There it says, "UK: Appropriate proof of service issued by the MOD."

Whatever that might be. :)

Followed the instructions downloaded the MOD form sent both off Navy for hubby RAF for me got them back phoned cunard lady told me she had put the credit on for each but have to show the proof to the purser, so assume all will be well, and I remembered my entire # See we were on the same christmas cruise might

even have sat at the same table.

Edited by electra2008