Staying in Texas City before cruise

margaret10987

Has anyone stayed in Texas City prior to their cruise. If so, what is the best transportation to get to the port the next morning. Thanks

We used a taxi for around $50 once. However, you might check with SuperShuttle, they might pick up there.

• 10 months later...
We used a taxi for around $50 once. However, you might check with SuperShuttle, they might pick up there.

We have never sailed out of Galveston and not wanting to drive into town so looking at Texas City. Do you know of a problem from there? We have enough Comfort Inn points to stay free.

Thanks!

We have never sailed out of Galveston and not wanting to drive into town so looking at Texas City. Do you know of a problem from there? We have enough Comfort Inn points to stay free.

Thanks!

Just adding. It doesn't have to be Comfort Inn & Suites. And where to park? Motel?

Has anyone stayed in Texas City prior to their cruise. If so, what is the best transportation to get to the port the next morning. Thanks

How many are you traveling with? When are you cruising? You could take a uber, taxi or Private car from Galveston Limo depending on your budget and preferences. Add a little extra time to your travel expectations if it's spring break or one of the weekends of Mardi Gras.

We've stayed in Texas City 3 times prior to cruising out of Galveston. Of course we live near Dallas and drove down there and parked near the port for each cruise. Texas City is a good 20 miles away from the port. Without your own car, Galveston isn't the easiest place to cruise out of.

• 1 month later...

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Texas City the night before our cruise 3/25 (free with my Marriott points), clean room with fridge, nice workout room, indoor pool, and breakfast included.

I rented an Avis rental car from Hobby airport with plans to return it the following morning at the Avis office in Texas City which is across the parking lot from the Fairfield Inn at the Sears store (at a mostly abandoned shopping mall.)

We were able to drive around to lunch, shopping at the Tanger Outlet mall, pick up wine, and pick up friends from the airport who arrived later. We then drove into Galveston for dinner at Nonno Tony's at the Harbor House/Pier 21 (very good!)

Day of the cruise I drove all our luggage and group to the port around 10 a.m. (No problem checking our luggage quickly at Liberty of the Seas.) The group went to Starbucks and shopping across from the port on The Strand while I drove back to Texas City to fill gas tank and drop of the rental car.

I called Uber from Avis and he arrived in 8 minutes and took me back to the Starbucks by the port ($22) they can take you there, but not pick you up on the island. This worked well since there was no way 4 of us and all our luggage would fit in a Prius. There was a long line of people waiting for shuttles or pre-arranged taxis with all their luggage outside of Avis. (Since Sears was closed there were no restrooms open, FYI.)

If you are paying to transfer from airports to Texas City , you might as well go on into Galveston, if you are interested in seeing Galveston! Galveston is definitely a destination. Do your homework on pricing hotels in Galveston! One night is available. We do not know when you are traveling , but if there is not a large event you can find something. Try Holiday Inn on Beach. Inn at Waterpark, Holiday Inn Resorts , Double Tree, Moody Gardens,

Marriott, and many other new hotels just built or being built!

Edited by ssb