Amsterdam Taxi Questions

I have gotten a lot of information about taxis in Amsterdam. However, being a cautious, detailed planner, I wonder if any of you can reassure me about the reliability of taxis in the city.

My DW and I have arranged a transfer with HAL to the ship on the day we embark. It leaves from the Queen Victoria Hotel. We are staying at a hotel across town (as best I can estimate, about 10 - 15 minutes by car).

I understand that it is best if I arrange for a taxi with the front desk of my hotel. If I give them a time I want to leave, say 8AM, can I be assured that the taxi will be there on time?

Will they have enough room for the two of us and 4 suitcases?

How much should it cost?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Boiler Cruiser

Cabs will be around most hotels or your hotel can arrange one without problem.

Rate is difficult to tell, check this also with your hotel. Most likely it might be around E. 20,- depending the distance.

Most cabdrivers are honest, some however love to make a detour to make a higher rate.

Cabs will be around most hotels or your hotel can arrange one without problem.

Rate is difficult to tell, check this also with your hotel. Most likely it might be around E. 20,- depending the distance.

Most cabdrivers are honest, some however love to make a detour to make a higher rate.

Thanks for the information, Ine. By the way, do taxi's charge extra for suitcases? Some in the US do, particularly if there are more than 2/ person, or the bags are oversized.

What's the custom in Amsterdam?

We will be staying near Vondel Park, so I guess that our hotel will not have any problem ordering us a taxi to go across town with our luggage to catch our transfer to the ship.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the information, Ine. By the way, do taxi's charge extra for suitcases? Some in the US do, particularly if there are more than 2/ person, or the bags are oversized.

What's the custom in Amsterdam?

We will be staying near Vondel Park, so I guess that our hotel will not have any problem ordering us a taxi to go across town with our luggage to catch our transfer to the ship.

Thanks again.

No charge for suitcases. In caser the driver helpy you with this, just give him an extra tip.

Vondelpark is almost city centre, there will be no problem getting a cab for you.

On the subject of Amsterdam taxis, will there be taxis at the dock? We are looking to go to the Van Gogh Museum and back. If a taxi's not a good option, does anyone know the best way to get there and back? Thanks.

Yes there will be taxis, but in case many passengers disembark you might have to wait in line.

Otherwise take tramnr, 26 to Centraal Station (stop is Muziekgebouw not too far from the terminal on your side of the road), at CS change to tramnr. 5.

On the way back the same, but watch you take tramnr. 5 to Centraal Station and 26 to IJburg.

Hi!

What is the best way to get from the airport to the Renaissance hotel?

Taxi? Shuttle?

We are seniors' date=' so don't want to take public transportation with our luggage.

And what would be the cost?

Thanks.[/quote']

We used Tinker. They were very reasonable and reliable. We paid €34.95 for a very comfortable minivan to take us to the Banks Mansion. https://tinker.travel/en/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Advice needed. We will be arriving in Amsterdam on HAL Prinsendam, at the end of our TA. As we disembark, we will be boarding Viking Longship Aegir. I cannot determine if the ships are in the same area, or if transportation will be available. Does anyone know if we can arrange private transportation so we know up front what the cost will be.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Mary

I have gotten a lot of information about taxis in Amsterdam. However, being a cautious, detailed planner, I wonder if any of you can reassure me about the reliability of taxis in the city.

My DW and I have arranged a transfer with HAL to the ship on the day we embark. It leaves from the Queen Victoria Hotel. We are staying at a hotel across town (as best I can estimate, about 10 - 15 minutes by car).

I understand that it is best if I arrange for a taxi with the front desk of my hotel. If I give them a time I want to leave, say 8AM, can I be assured that the taxi will be there on time?

Will they have enough room for the two of us and 4 suitcases?

How much should it cost?

Thanks for your help.

If you have to get a cab to take you to the Holland America tranfer point at the Queen Victoria Hotel, why not just take the cab direct to the ship? Less schlepping as far as transfering/moving your bags from the cab to the other vehicle plus you will save $$$ unless the Holland America transfer is free!

Edited by TMLAalum