Mitsugirlys FASCINATION with San Juan-review & pictorial

mitsugirly

Thanks for your info.. we bought a set very similar to the one you showed.. do you only wear your fins when you're in deep water? I'm thinking we'll only snorkel off the beach.. thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My goal at each port we visit is to find some place that we can snorkel from the beach. That's what we enjoy and feel most comfortable with. If it's a snorkeling spot, then I'll take my fins with me no matter how deep. If it's going to be over 5 feet or so, then I usually wear them just because it's so simple to just glide along the water effortlessly with the fins. The whole goal when snorkeling is to go fairly slow. Critters come out if you just hover on the top and they think it's safe to come out. A lot of kicking and movement will keep them hiding. So, my main reason I have the fins is usually just to move from spot to spot (and save my legs from getting tired) and once I make it all the way out to where I'm going, it's much easier to come back in with fins. Or, if I am going horizontal down the shore, easier to get back faster. :D

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks for your responses! You've been so helpful!! Now I'm just trying to decide on a traditional snorkel and mask or a full face mask w/snorkel. My girls have braces, so I'm thinking the full face mask might be easier for them. Thanks again!!

Hey, awesome review. Any links to what you bought for a dive mask? I'm going in August with my kids and I have been looking at a lot of snorkel sets. I've searched dive masks but there are so many and it's hard to decide. Hoping to keep under $50 for the masks but I'll look at better if there is significant quality differences.

If you look at actual dive mask, they are not cheap (and I don't recall seeing under $50 at all...at least not at my local dive shop). I believe I paid around $109 for mine and that was with Sakari's discount for being a dive member. I'm sure you could find it online for cheaper and I've seen them on ebay for just shy of $100.

I ended up getting a Scubapro Crystal VU Plus with the purge valve in the nose area. That way if you get any water in the mask, you just blow and it clears in the valve. It also has the glass on the sides of the mask and not just the front. I liked it because it gave me a panoramic view, which you don't get with a normal front only lens.

s-l300.jpg

sugsubvupurge-sm.jpg

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks for your responses! You've been so helpful!! Now I'm just trying to decide on a traditional snorkel and mask or a full face mask w/snorkel. My girls have braces, so I'm thinking the full face mask might be easier for them. Thanks again!!

You're very welcome. If you get a chance that you could try out the full face mask before purchasing (because they are not cheap), then have the girls try them in the water (some local dive shops will allow you to try before you buy in their pools). I did this. Didn't care for it after trying it out. But everyone is different and some people like the full face.

If you look at actual dive mask, they are not cheap (and I don't recall seeing under $50 at all...at least not at my local dive shop). I believe I paid around $109 for mine and that was with Sakari's discount for being a dive member. I'm sure you could find it online for cheaper and I've seen them on ebay for just shy of $100.

I ended up getting a Scubapro Crystal VU Plus with the purge valve in the nose area. That way if you get any water in the mask, you just blow and it clears in the valve. It also has the glass on the sides of the mask and not just the front. I liked it because it gave me a panoramic view, which you don't get with a normal front only lens.

s-l300.jpg

sugsubvupurge-sm.jpg

Thanks. I found some similar for less money. Surely not the same quality but I like the style and was able to find some with the one piece glass and silicone rubber. That's the most important thing for me I think, soft silicone rather than the plastic garbage so many snorkel sets have.

Yes, finally a cruise review from Mitsugirly. Don't know why it took me this long to find this review, but I'm glad I did. Love being able to read reviews while at work. It's quiet and no one bothers me, so yay for me!

Haha, glad you found it and have time to read it. Hope you enjoy it. :)

How deep was the water where the water toys are? I'm sure the young ones weren't able to stand up, but could you or your husband stand up out that way?

I assume you mean at the Boatyard (I don't remember any other water toys lol, but then again my memory starts to run together on cruises). No, adults can not stand up in the area either. You must swim. Most water toys that I have ever seen are never in an area that you can stand up in no matter where they are located in the Caribbean. That's for safety reasons for people jumping off and climbing so they don't hit the bottom and get hurt. :)

Yea, I know some people may really like this place, but I don't think I would be one of them. I'm more of a "middle" beach girl...meaning the beach I found in between Ship Wreck and Carambola.

I'm jealous! I wanna go back! :D

How far of a walk would you say it is between Shipwwreck and Carambola? I'm thinking hang out at Carambola and walking to Shipwreck to get food. Comments.

Do you have any idea how to find out if Discovery Beach Bar has been bought? We went to Buccanos Grill & Beach Club in Cozumel which we were mislead (via tripadvisor). We were the only ones EVER reported to have paid an entrance fee of $15 pp. The day was so expensive I asked my husband to not tell me how much it was!

I've learned my lesson about finding out if prices for things (taxis and admission) are standardized.

How far of a walk would you say it is between Shipwwreck and Carambola? I'm thinking hang out at Carambola and walking to Shipwreck to get food. Comments.

Do you have any idea how to find out if Discovery Beach Bar has been bought? We went to Buccanos Grill & Beach Club in Cozumel which we were mislead (via tripadvisor). We were the only ones EVER reported to have paid an entrance fee of $15 pp. The day was so expensive I asked my husband to not tell me how much it was!

I've learned my lesson about finding out if prices for things (taxis and admission) are standardized.

I took pictures from the time we left Carambola to the time we came to Shipwreck and it was exactly 14 minutes walking from one to another (while stopping to take pictures here and there).

Why would you think that Discovery has been bought? They post pictures daily and I have seen the same owner (and seen people talk about this owner) for quite some time. The owner is Morsi. They charge the same for chairs as Carambola. I'm not sure the pricing on the menu, but I'm sure they are in line with any of the other beach club places. Look them up online and ask them if they have a menu and pricing. :)

I have noted from http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2447098

that you were/have? gone to Curacao. Any idea when you'll be able to update us on that destination

That link goes to me asking which place I should scuba dive at...which means I haven't went yet (or I wouldn't be asking) lol. :confused: I'll do a full review likes always, once I return. You have a few months to wait still. :D ;)

I took pictures from the time we left Carambola to the time we came to Shipwreck and it was exactly 14 minutes walking from one to another (while stopping to take pictures here and there).

Why would you think that Discovery has been bought? They post pictures daily and I have seen the same owner (and seen people talk about this owner) for quite some time. The owner is Morsi. They charge the same for chairs as Carambola. I'm not sure the pricing on the menu, but I'm sure they are in line with any of the other beach club places. Look them up online and ask them if they have a menu and pricing. :)

That link goes to me asking which place I should scuba dive at...which means I haven't went yet (or I wouldn't be asking) lol. :confused: I'll do a full review likes always, once I return. You have a few months to wait still. :D ;)

thank you. Decision made. I was also reading up on Blue Kay just now and am ready to test it out to Maya Chan which we did last week.

I must have misunderstood you because I though the Discovery Beach Bar was the one for sale.

As for Curacao

good deal. I have a few months to wait since I won't be going till Jan or Feb next year. LOL. Now I'm making a note to myself to check back for that trip. LOL

thank you. Decision made. I was also reading up on Blue Kay just now and am ready to test it out to Maya Chan which we did last week.

I must have misunderstood you because I though the Discovery Beach Bar was the one for sale.

Yea, I really loved Blue Kay. It was really pretty there and even though it's on the same "strip" as other beaches on the Malecon, it was so different from the beach to the water.

As for Curacao

good deal. I have a few months to wait since I won't be going till Jan or Feb next year. LOL. Now I'm making a note to myself to check back for that trip. LOL

Oh yea...you definitely have a few months to wait. :D

Yes, that is correct. There's all kinds of programs you can use if you are looking to actually edit the pictures. Photoshop and Lightroom are the 2 biggies most use and both have wonderful features and also actions that you can use as well depending on what you are looking for (and if you are just looking to correct a few pictures). I like using it because it's so much easier to take all the pictures into PS and resize them all at once and not have to do them one by one. It saves me a ton of work just for that feature alone.

Good luck on finding you a camera. :)

just wanted to share, I found a gently used camera on ebay with a uv filter, polarizing filter, and a couple of extra batteries as well for 225. now I just have to stalk the postman.

thanks again for your help :)

I am so excited about the St. Lucia Spencer excursion/snorkeling after seeing your review!

I was afraid I'd miss out on too much by just heading to Jalousie Beach to snorkel, but read that others had enough time. Plus, I really want to do the mud bath thing!

Thanks so much

Your review and gorgeous pictures convinced me! I was only a quarter of the way through and I started looking at prices. I've now booked this itinerary for April 2018 with my 8 year old son (he'll be 9 by then) and my mother. Can't wait!

I feel your pain (or excitement). I almost did the same myself. I have been looking at having a "redo" again either in August or October and found some OUTSTANDING prices for this cruise. You just can't beat the price OR the itinerary. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! It's our favorite cruise to date! :)

just wanted to share, I found a gently used camera on ebay with a uv filter, polarizing filter, and a couple of extra batteries as well for 225. now I just have to stalk the postman.

thanks again for your help :)

Nice! What did you end up getting? I gotta know! :D I stalk the mailman a lot these days. hehe

I am so excited about the St. Lucia Spencer excursion/snorkeling after seeing your review!

I was afraid I'd miss out on too much by just heading to Jalousie Beach to snorkel, but read that others had enough time. Plus, I really want to do the mud bath thing!

Thanks so much

It's definitely something to get super excited about! It was the best day! I can't wait to head back again and hopefully some day I'll get to. I really want to do the mud bath as well. I'll have to have my oldest daughter with me for that too! We'd have so much fun! :D

I got the Olympus Tough Tg4 like you recommended. In red, so it is harder to misplace :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

VERY NICE! You got a great deal with all the extras! Lucky you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying mine. I can't wait to get in the water and practice some more. :D Mine is red too for that very reason! :p

P8151393%20copy-L.jpg

There's Mr Flounder. He looks so sad.

P8151394%20copy-L.jpg

In the sand he's white, in the grass, he turns to brownish

P8151397%20copy-L.jpg

There were a bunch of ballyhoo there too. They swim along the surface of the water and look like mini-swordfish. It's always so hard to get a picture of them. I don't think I have ever successfully taken a GOOD picture yet.

P8151403%20copy-L.jpg

I did not realize that Mr Flounder had eyelashes. I don't think I have ever been able to get this close up to one without them scurrying off before I could get a close-up.

P8151398%20copy-L.jpg

My husband gigs for these type fish in FL and their eyes are usually on each side of their body when hatched, but moves to the same side as it grows.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

My husband gigs for these type fish in FL and their eyes are usually on each side of their body when hatched, but moves to the same side as it grows.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Yep, they are pretty cool fish and it's neat how their eyes move to the side like that. I spot these just about everywhere we go in the Caribbean. :)