Pre buy 5 dinner package or wait until on board

the frames

Sailing 8th Aug, price is varying for 5 night speciality dinning went up to £115 each , today down to £96 each, read lots of posts re discounts for first night. Do we prepay or use OBC and play the waiting game?

Thanks

I am looking to buy the 5 night package on my Aug 6th sailing. I can't say I've been watching to see if the price dropped or not. If it did by a decent amount I'd buy it prior.

That said, my plan currently is to buy it onboard the 1st or 2nd day and use some of my shipboard credit.

The only time I've heard of any problem waiting is on shorter cruises hen there at fewer available days (usually just a 3 night package). Can't imagine any issues waiting until you board.

Edited by RickT

If you read the detail on the packages, you can pick the time for the first night of your package, then the subsequent ones will be assigned to your or you can see the maitre d' when you board the ship. Since those that bought the individual nights often take the more desirable times, you may be left with only late seatings. If that is okay with you - then the packages are great! If it isn't, then you may end up with a 9 or 9:30PM dining time which is far to late for us. The bustle on the first day of the cruise to get to the maitre'd is daunting to try to schedule this.

Just a few thoughts... and not to contradict other view points, but I have experience with dining packages and my comments are based on those actual experiences:

1) The cost of the dining package can change (cost go up) prior to your cruise and you will have to pay more for it on the ship. Also, I have seen evidence and read posts where cruisers have paid more on the ship than if they had pre-paid for a package prior to the cruise. Just something to think about.

2) While interest in dining packages can change (higher or lower) from cruise to cruise, there is no guarantee that dining packages will be available if you wait to purchase onboard with OBC. That said, I do know from experience that there are a number of dining packages held only for purchase on the ship. If you chose that path, try to board early and make a bee-line to the specialty dining table to ensure your best chance of booking a dining package once you embark the ship.

3) Be aware that the dining packages have preset options for which dining venues you will have access to book a reservation. These are all displayed on the Celebrity website, so take a look to know if you are willing to accept those options.

4) Also be aware that your first reservation will be booked on the first night (embarkation day) or the following day. Usually, if the ship has a Tuscan Grille, that will be your first dining venue to be booked, with the remainder of dining venues to be reserved at your own choosing based on availability. I do recommend to make reservations earlier than later to ensure you get acceptable dates and times.

Your OBC can be used to cover the cost of gratuities that will be added to your shipboard account each day (unless you have pre-paid gratuities). I enjoy leaving the option of spending the OBC for things I do on the ship (e.g. excursions, shopping on the ship, beverages not covered by your drink package or the overage if you have the premium package, etc.).

I'm happy to provide any other information or answers to questions you may have. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From Celebrity's website under checkin:

"You can experience several unique specialty restaurants and enjoy great savings when you purchase one of our Specialty Dining Packages for your cruise vacation aboard a Celebrity cruise ship. Awaken your inner foodie on a culinary journey while experiencing impeccable service and world-class cuisine. Restaurant selection varies by ship.

Book Your Specialty Dining Package Now

When booking your package, you will select a time for your dinner the first night in a specialty restaurant we've selected for you. Upon embarkation, you will be contacted by one of our Maitre D's to arrange the rest of your reservations. Or, you could simply go to one of our specialty restaurant reservation desks to reserve the rest. Specialty Dining Packages must be booked at least four days prior to boarding and may not be available for every sail date.

Just sayin'

Edited by donmimi06413

You could be damned if you do and damned if you don't. On a recent Solstice cruise there were no packages on board but throughout the cruise there were bargains being offered on a daily basis. On a subsequent Constellation cruise which had limited sea days there was a push from the outset for the 3 restaurant package and because the promotion was so successful there were no daily bargains to be had.

Prior to the cruise if you see a price that you are happy with for a package then take it and forget about ups and downs. If not then take your chances on board. If you take the package prior to you have to prepay but you can use OBC if you book on board

Just a few thoughts... and not to contradict other view points, but I have experience with dining packages and my comments are based on those actual experiences:

1) The cost of the dining package can change (cost go up) prior to your cruise and you will have to pay more for it on the ship. Also, I have seen evidence and read posts where cruisers have paid more on the ship than if they had pre-paid for a package prior to the cruise. Just something to think about.

2) While interest in dining packages can change (higher or lower) from cruise to cruise, there is no guarantee that dining packages will be available if you wait to purchase onboard with OBC. That said, I do know from experience that there are a number of dining packages held only for purchase on the ship. If you chose that path, try to board early and make a bee-line to the specialty dining table to ensure your best chance of booking a dining package once you embark the ship.

3) Be aware that the dining packages have preset options for which dining venues you will have access to book a reservation. These are all displayed on the Celebrity website, so take a look to know if you are willing to accept those options.

4) Also be aware that your first reservation will be booked on the first night (embarkation day) or the following day. Usually, if the ship has a Tuscan Grille, that will be your first dining venue to be booked, with the remainder of dining venues to be reserved at your own choosing based on availability. I do recommend to make reservations earlier than later to ensure you get acceptable dates and times.

Your OBC can be used to cover the cost of gratuities that will be added to your shipboard account each day (unless you have pre-paid gratuities). I enjoy leaving the option of spending the OBC for things I do on the ship (e.g. excursions, shopping on the ship, beverages not covered by your drink package or the overage if you have the premium package, etc.).

I'm happy to provide any other information or answers to questions you may have. Enjoy your cruise!

I agree based on my own experience. I have had a cruise in which all of the 5 night dining packages were sold out. The restaurant manager was able to help us out and we managed to get it but there is a chance it is not available. If you are going to upgrade your drink package then use your obc to do that.

Some good comments on here. It has got me thinking. In looking at the price for my cruise (Aug 6th Silhouette) I see the price is currently $134.10 US

Does anyone remember what price they paid (either onboard or prior to the cruise)? It might help me decide if I should buy now or wait.

Check the details of what you're buying. A few of the 5 night packages now include Sushi on 5 which I have no interest in. That might be why you're seeing a price reduction from what it was before. We did fine buying a 3 night package for cheaper onboard than it was online on Constellation and didn't have to use it the first night.

Some good comments on here. It has got me thinking. In looking at the price for my cruise (Aug 6th Silhouette) I see the price is currently $134.10 US

Does anyone remember what price they paid (either onboard or prior to the cruise)? It might help me decide if I should buy now or wait.

The Silly has a Lawn Club, right?

We got the 3 night on the Equinox last Nov for $98.00 US each.

But it only had the 3 specialty at the time.

The Silly has a Lawn Club, right?

We got the 3 night on the Equinox last Nov for $98.00 US each.

But it only had the 3 specialty at the time.

Yes, earlier I had read that the 5 night package is Tuscan X 2, Murano X 1, Lawn Club X 1 and QSine X 1. Would definitely verify prior to booking.

Yes, earlier I had read that the 5 night package is Tuscan X 2, Murano X 1, Lawn Club X 1 and QSine X 1. Would definitely verify prior to booking.

5 night package on Silhouette is now one in Tuscan and one in Sushi on 5 instead of 2 in Tuscan

From Celebrity's website under checkin:

Specialty Dining Packages must be booked at least four days prior to boarding and may not be available for every sail date.

You may not have read to the bottom of this post (and I can confirm based on looking at this for my next cruise), there are no "dining packages" available once you board. Any pkg has to be booked at least 4 days prior to cruise. So the trade off is in hoping for a significant enough discount on individual night bookings to equal or better the pre-cruise booked package. At $134.10 for a 5 night package, you'd have to average $26.82 pp for each of your 5 individual bookings onboard. Considering the cheapest specialty restaurant is $45pp (last time I was on a cruise), this would average out to a 40% discount on each individual booking, even more if you're going to one of the $50 pp restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You may not have read to the bottom of this post (and I can confirm based on looking at this for my next cruise), there are no "dining packages" available once you board. Any pkg has to be booked at least 4 days prior to cruise. So the trade off is in hoping for a significant enough discount on individual night bookings to equal or better the pre-cruise booked package. At $134.10 for a 5 night package, you'd have to average $26.82 pp for each of your 5 individual bookings onboard. Considering the cheapest specialty restaurant is $45pp (last time I was on a cruise), this would average out to a 40% discount on each individual booking, even more if you're going to one of the $50 pp restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Then why are there a couple of tables set up selling the packages? We always go to Murano and book the 3 night first thing after we get on board our last 3 cruises.

I'm looking at the five night package on the Silhouette 14 day on October 22nd which works out (mine is shown in Cdn) to be about $26 a day which equates to about 40% off - correct me if I'm wrong but the best I could expect on board is a 2 for 1 of 50% off? So a huge risk for a potential gain of 10%? (Assuming one is committed to paying for dinner 5 times).

The first choice is made for you - you have no control other than selecting a time?

"Be aware that the dining packages have preset options for which dining venues you will have access to book a reservation. These are all displayed on the Celebrity website, so take a look to know if you are willing to accept those options."

So, as Silhouette has five dining options does that mean you are limited to one booking per restaurant?

How does Sushi on 5 work as it is a la carte?

thanks

Rick if this is for the 5 night, you need to book now! That is less than $27 a night. The ultimate pkg is $29 a day, but you do get unlimited visits to em all.

EW

I'm looking at the five night package on the Silhouette 14 day on October 22nd which works out (mine is shown in Cdn) to be about $26 a day which equates to about 40% off - correct me if I'm wrong but the best I could expect on board is a 2 for 1 of 50% off? So a huge risk for a potential gain of 10%? (Assuming one is committed to paying for dinner 5 times).

The first choice is made for you - you have no control other than selecting a time?

"Be aware that the dining packages have preset options for which dining venues you will have access to book a reservation. These are all displayed on the Celebrity website, so take a look to know if you are willing to accept those options."

So, as Silhouette has five dining options does that mean you are limited to one booking per restaurant?

How does Sushi on 5 work as it is a la carte?

thanks

Yes S on 5 is.

To avoid the required 1st night they make the choice, is why we wait till on board to book. On the last 3 cruises we have not had any price difference then compared to doing it pre-sailing.

EW

Depending on your financial standing....

I know for my next cruise I have $600 obc. I have the premium drink package, paid gratuities and free internet. so....I want to use my obc. In my case I would call it 'free specialty dining'

If I booked ahead of time, it's out of pocket and I don't want to spend more money. So even if it's more expensive to book on board, it's still cheaper unless it's more than $600.

I would never spend $600 on photos and purchases etc....although I might find me a nice purse on this trip. I feel sorry for those that had the equinox cruises cancelled, but what a deal.

Depending on your financial standing....

I know for my next cruise I have $600 obc. I have the premium drink package, paid gratuities and free internet. so....I want to use my obc. In my case I would call it 'free specialty dining'

If I booked ahead of time, it's out of pocket and I don't want to spend more money. So even if it's more expensive to book on board, it's still cheaper unless it's more than $600.

I would never spend $600 on photos and purchases etc....although I might find me a nice purse on this trip. I feel sorry for those that had the equinox cruises cancelled, but what a deal.

We sailed the Equinox 11/10 day the last 2 year's, land locked this yr, but are back on 2 sailings after you in 2017. The deal was to GREAT to pass up!

Rick if this is for the 5 night, you need to book now! That is less than $27 a night. The ultimate pkg is $29 a day, but you do get unlimited visits to em all.

EW

For the Ultimate Package, do you need to book that super early or is it not available on all sailings? I'm looking at my Planner right now for Dec 9 and they have the 5 dinner for $134.10 or $26.82per night or the 3 Dinner for $89.99 or $30/night, but no mention of the Ultimate.

Also, if anyone knows how Sushi on 5 works with the package, information would be appreciated. We love Sushi and look forward to trying it!

For the Ultimate Package, do you need to book that super early or is it not available on all sailings? I'm looking at my Planner right now for Dec 9 and they have the 5 dinner for $134.10 or $26.82per night or the 3 Dinner for $89.99 or $30/night, but no mention of the Ultimate.

Also, if anyone knows how Sushi on 5 works with the package, information would be appreciated. We love Sushi and look forward to trying it!

I believe you can only book the ultimate onboard - also looking to find out how Sushi on five works too.

Yes S on 5 is.

To avoid the required 1st night they make the choice, is why we wait till on board to book. On the last 3 cruises we have not had any price difference then compared to doing it pre-sailing.

EW

But I thought you can't a package once you are onboard? Also can I, for example if I chose eat at Murano five times?

Also how does Sushi on Five work?

The "unlimited" [not "ultimate"] package is unavailable in advance. It cannot be purchased by phone, and there is no "wait list." It can be booked only after embarkation. This was just verified by a phone call to Captain's Club experts, a few days ago.

Edited by jg51