June Update of the Cost of Living on the Caribbean Princess

plane2port

Hello all, I've gone back to look at prices to sail on the Caribbean Princess for the month of January 2017. The total price has gone down slightly, due to being able to combine two sailings at a discount.

Details are here:

http://www.plane2port.com/june-update-cost-living-caribbean-princess/

I'll update after the final payment date.

Edited by plane2port

Hello all, I've gone back to look at prices to sail on the Caribbean Princess for the month of January 2017. The total price has gone down slightly, due to being able to combine two sailings at a discount.

Details are here:

http://www.plane2port.com/june-update-cost-living-caribbean-princess/

I'll update after the final payment date.

Wow! :eek: That seems really high. Do you book direct with Princess?

Wow! :eek: That seems really high. Do you book direct with Princess?

I haven't booked these cruises. These prices are directly from the Princess web site. Please note that I have included taxes, fees, and gratuities for TWO people in the final price.

Thanks for posting. I'll frequently create a spreadsheet of prices when I'm considering booking a cruise. For several years, we had to plan our cruises around DH's school breaks. (He teaches at a community college.) Christmas was one of the times of year he had a long break. Sometimes we were able to get in a cruise before Christmas during his break, but most of the time our cruises included the holiday. It's probably the most expensive time of year to take a cruise--but I always found a bargain eventually.

I just recently did a quick comparison for per diem.

Round trip LA. Fare and tax only. 2017 current prices (OCT - NOV) from Princess website as a signed on user.

All on the same ship. Found that the longest cruise with the most sea days is the most expensive.

4 day Catalina - 149.75 per person

5 day Cabo San Lucas - 143.80 per person

7 day Mexican Rivera - 133.42 per person

28 day Tahiti - 174.79 per person

Round trip LA. Fare and tax only. 2017 current prices (OCT - NOV) from Princess website as a signed on user.

All on the same ship. Found that the longest cruise with the most sea days is the most expensive.

You are comparing apples and oranges. The price of cruises is very itinerary driven, so that costs are always greater to more popular places or less to the ho-hum been there spots. The latter is Mexico. Princess has to do something with the ships that ply Alaska in the summer, so for some it's off to Mexico in the winter. However the Mexican cruises are long since saturated as well as the fact that some cruisers just will not go there. That's why there are always bargains to be found there. If you just like to cruise a jaunt along the Mexican riviera can be fun and sometimes we do not even get off the ship in certain ports, just enjoy a nice day by the pool with food and drinks.

Thanks for posting. I'll frequently create a spreadsheet of prices when I'm considering booking a cruise. For several years, we had to plan our cruises around DH's school breaks. (He teaches at a community college.) Christmas was one of the times of year he had a long break. Sometimes we were able to get in a cruise before Christmas during his break, but most of the time our cruises included the holiday. It's probably the most expensive time of year to take a cruise--but I always found a bargain eventually.

I actually enjoy doing the spreadsheets and making the comparisons. I think it helps you to organize your thoughts and focuses your planning. No doubt your research helped you find the cruises that turned out to be the true bargains.

If you add in the gratuity and then multiply by two (for 2 people) then your costs are similar to what I've been coming up with. What would be interesting is to compare what percentage of each total is taxes and port fees. I'm wondering if the Tahiti cruise has higher port fees or if the base price is higher. Thanks for the input.

Just want to say that my prices are for the cheapest cabin. I mentioned that back in my original February post.

If you add in the gratuity and then multiply by two (for 2 people) then your costs are similar to what I've been coming up with. What would be interesting is to compare what percentage of each total is taxes and port fees. I'm wondering if the Tahiti cruise has higher port fees or if the base price is higher. Thanks for the input.

Just want to say that my prices are for the cheapest cabin. I mentioned that back in my original February post.

To get a true per diem you would probably need to use the same itinerary because of the difference in charges by port, etc. The spread sheet is interesting regardless.

You are comparing apples and oranges. The price of cruises is very itinerary driven, so that costs are always greater to more popular places or less to the ho-hum been there spots. The latter is Mexico. Princess has to do something with the ships that ply Alaska in the summer, so for some it's off to Mexico in the winter. However the Mexican cruises are long since saturated as well as the fact that some cruisers just will not go there. That's why there are always bargains to be found there. If you just like to cruise a jaunt along the Mexican riviera can be fun and sometimes we do not even get off the ship in certain ports, just enjoy a nice day by the pool with food and drinks.

I think that the whole point of this exercise IS to compare apples and oranges. I, at least am trying to find sailings that have a consistent low per day cost. I do find your observations about the Mexican riviera cruises to be interesting though.

It seems that every year there is a "sweet spot" for cruising where prices are low. Last year many Alaska itineraries were remarkably cheap. This year European cruises are a bargain ( and will continue to be due to the recent events there.).