Sea sickness?

NorskeNook

Depends on your tolerance to motion and cabin location. The least motion is on lower deck midship cabins.

Suggest you consult your physician for any motion sickness meds like Meclizine that is consistent with your medical condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the voyage includes the North Sea, things can get pretty rough there.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I was on one of their ships (which is still in service) back when it was still the Norwegian Coastal Steamer, and even a lot of the crew were sick a couple of days on the North Sea. I was about the only person not in a corner being sick (for some reason, I am just not prone to seasickness). Take a good look at your route to see if it is going there, and look into the patches or other similar preventatives/remedies. The older ships at least are not that big and do not have the kinds of stabilizers you find on the big cruise ships. I'm not sure about their newer ships--you might want to query on the Hurtigruten forum.

Proximity to the coast would not necessarily have any effect on reducing severity of the waves - its all a matter of weather and sea conditions. We've cruised off the coast in sight of Haiti and Jamaica in surprisingly rough seas and have been in open Atlantic en route to Bermuda in glass smooth seas. You never know.

You just never know what the waters will be like. But here is something to consider. Even though the ship seems steady, if you are tendering in from the ship to shore and the water is a little rough, the tendering will rough.

As the tender boat goes back and forth ship to shore, smooth as can be in a smaller boat. When waiting to leave the ship while the tender is filling up, you will be bobbing. Same when returning to the ship on the tender, waiting for the pervious tender to clear the ships dock, you will be bobbing around in the water.

If it is to rough for tendering, they will not tender, to dangerous for the passengers.

I have found that the patch works for me. Half a patch, I am good to go. If I do feel a little dizzy while inside, I head to my cabin, stand on the balcony for awhile and then I am good to go.

The cruise starts in Bergen and goes north along the Norwegian coast. Were you on that part of the trip?

Good advise about getting a newer ship.

I looked at their website, and it looks like they are still doing the same trip now that they did back in the day. There really is no avoiding the North Sea if you're sailing out of Bergen. But back then the only ships available were their working ships that also happened to carry passengers (I vividly remember a load of toilets occupying a good bit of deck space). The passengers were primarily day trippers, with a couple of dozen cabins for people making the longer journey. There were no facilities or amenities to speak of for passengers--it was all about the voyage. If the weather was not good for being on deck, you hung out in the dining room/cafeteria.

Now it appears that they are operating like a more traditional cruise line, with actual facilities for the passengers. They do offer trips on the "vintage" or "working" ships--you'll know them for the much lower prices. I'd avoid those, as there are no stabilizers. Plus, only a handful of cabins had their own bathrooms. You had a sink in the cabin, and used shared toilets and showers down the hall.

I would expect that the newer ships have the stabilizers that cruisers are more accustomed to, and that reduce the effects of the motion. Since nothing can completely eliminate the effects of motion, do follow the advice of people here whose frame of reference is more traditional cruising, as I expect that the newer ships are more akin to that experience, and thus the cabin placement will make a huge difference.

I do hope that the new ships can do what the old ones could: slip into some fjords that traditional cruise ships cannot access. Every moment of tossing was worth that first look at the Trollfjord!