Iceland in August - Clothes

shallwe

I'm going to Iceland on Arcadia and have been checking out the typical climate for August. So far though it seems to be a bit of a mixed bag.

If anyone has been there during August, what type of clothes did you take and did you get it right?

It almost looks like two suitcases each, one of summer and one of winter clothes. That might suit the OH but I'll probably be the one wheeling them to the ship!

We've cruised to Iceland twice in June. Weather is unpredictable. The usual advice is take layers that you can build up or strip off dependant on conditions. Make sure you get a pic standing on deck at midnight with the eerie twilight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was there last June, and when it was 35c in London, on occasion it was 5c in Iceland.

Layers are the key as the weather was very variable. Sailing up around the north of Iceland from Reykjavik I was up on deck at midnight in shirt sleeves and chino's. The following day a shirt, jumper, fleece, outer coat, hat and gloves as there was ice on the hills and it was looking to snow.

Don't bother with an umbrella, the Icelanders will laugh as you blow away with it.

Anyway it was a fabulous trip, so enjoy yours.

So warm in Reykjavik we walked from ship to town and back (about 4 miles) in shorts and t shirt. It was the same in Akureyri.

However it was unusual and by Faeores and Fjords it was grey, wet and generally miserable, so you do need to cover all possibilities.

Only been to Iceland once in August, we had a blizzard one morning with very strong winds and a cross between hail and snow. Then, sailing along the coast in the North on the way to Norway, 12 hours of gales up to force 12 which we tried to sail into but made less progress than we should! We were assured that this was not normal August weather and indeed, the previous day the weather was not bad. Despite this, it is a beautiful country (or at least the parts of it that we saw).

You don't need two suitcases. Winter clothes are the same as summer clothes, plus a sweater and a coat; summer clothes are the same as winter clothes, plus a couple of pairs of shorts. Sorted! :)

Ignore advice about umbrellas. It doesn't always rain, it's not always windy, and when it does one it doesn't automatically mean it's going to do the other.

Waterproof jacket with hood, on some of out photos I have it unzipped. One or two hardy folk went about in tee shirts. Plan layers and changeable. Whenwe went to the blue lagoons, the rain was blowing horizontal, still had amazing time. Would go back and do it again.

My daughter and I are on that cruise to iceland on Arcadia; we plan to dress for the Lake District and reckon we'll get it about right! Layers, waterproofs, a couple of fleeces, but shorts too in case the sun appears.

We were on Arcadia last year in August - wonderful trip! As others have said, think layers. We are from the southern US and took our "winter" waterproof jackets. We packed them in vaccum "space saver" bags which did not take up much room. Were glad to have them but did not need them every day. A hood is a good idea. We found that when it rained it was windy and an umbrella was useless. Some days we went from heavy jacket to light weight jacket to no jacket, all in one day. Enjoy!

We were on Arcadia last year in August - wonderful trip! As others have said, think layers. We are from the southern US and took our "winter" waterproof jackets. We packed them in vacuum"space saver" bags which did not take up much room. Were glad to have them but did not need them every day. A hood is a good idea. We found that when it rained it was windy and an umbrella was useless. Some days we went from heavy jacket to light weight jacket to no jacket, all in one day. Enjoy!

My daughter and I are on that cruise to iceland on Arcadia; we plan to dress for the Lake District and reckon we'll get it about right! Layers, waterproofs, a couple of fleeces, but shorts too in case the sun appears.

Well I live in the lake district and have also cruised to Iceland. That`s perfect advice Clodia.

:)