Galveston Staggered Embarkation ---- Any feedback?

Maggiepie

My DD is autistic. I always contact special needs so that if we get to check in and it is hectic crazy, we can get onboard before she has a meltdown. We've had to do that twice. Last time we were told to get to port very early. We did and were able to get settled and just wait for our zone 2 to b called.

I'm concerned about this new way of doing things if they expand to other ports. We will not b going out of Galveston at all. But at other ports sometimes we fly directly in and you are at the mercy of schedules you can't really control.

I'm concerned if they don't allow special needs exceptions, and they institute this in all ports, cruises will no longer b my favorite vacation that I push.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3180/~/staggered-check-in-faqs

Purchasing either FTTF or and airport transfer from Carnival will solve your potential vacation dilemma.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3180/~/staggered-check-in-faqs

Purchasing either FTTF or and airport transfer from Carnival will solve your potential vacation dilemma.

Exactly. And I'm not a big proponent of fttf. I can take it or leave it. But it seems reasonable to me to pay the fee for it in order to ensure priority boarding regardless of what time you show up. I would guess that every sailing has a certain population of special needs travelers. The new process can work perfectly fine if people would just abide by it.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Exactly. And I'm not a big proponent of fttf. I can take it or leave it. But it seems reasonable to me to pay the fee for it in order to ensure priority boarding regardless of what time you show up. I would guess that every sailing has a certain population of special needs travelers. The new process can work perfectly fine if people would just abide by it.

I don't mind paying more for FTTF, but from reading posts it sounds like they were caught up in the mass confusion too. Hopefully though things will get ironed out by time of next cruise if they decide to do all ports.

We've done FTTF before and honestly, we could take it or leave it. We're already paying however much for the cruise..what's another $50, right?

Do I LIKE having to try and get FTTF? No. But if that's what I have to do, then so be it I suppose.

We were on the first cruise when they started the staggered check in and no there isn't a special waiting area unless you consider outside on the curb. You can't even get in line until they call you. If you are platinum, diamond, or have fftf then you can go ahead. We did see them let special needs go in early.

It doesn't appear Carnival plans to spend much time working out the kinks. John H has already declared this to be "Extremely Successful" on his page.

Here is a quote:

"We have already started the staggered pre booked check in times for our Galveston ships and it has been extremely successful and has meant a quicker embarkation process for everyone, less wait time and a much easier process all round

We will next year start this in other home ports and as soon as I have a roll out schedule I will of course let you know."

It doesn't appear Carnival plans to spend much time working out the kinks. John H has already declared this to be "Extremely Successful" on his page.

Here is a quote:

"We have already started the staggered pre booked check in times for our Galveston ships and it has been extremely successful and has meant a quicker embarkation process for everyone, less wait time and a much easier process all round

We will next year start this in other home ports and as soon as I have a roll out schedule I will of course let you know."

Except he previously said they will work on improvements. Things need tweaking it sounds like but that doesn't mean it isn't working.

Once people figure out that the rules really do apply to them, and arrive during their time window, everything will fall into place.

No one seems to have a problem with the staggered system at airports. For example Southwest sections 1 -20 line up, then 20-50. It works, because it was given a chance to work.

Give it a chance people.

This is just a trial for right now... I personally have a feeling it will be at all Ports once it has been tested and works...

I. for one, am glad they didn't allow anyone but Diamond/Platinum in the lounge and made them wait to board at their designated boarding time... It should be like this all the time in every Port... I'm also glad to see that they asked those that didn't belong on the line to wait...

Personally I think this is going to be across the board and done in every Port... In addition, once passengers are aware of the change, and understand what to do, and show up when they are suppose to, I believe this will work and the long ridiculous lines that I have seen will stop and make for an easier and faster boarding for all ...

i think they are making a logistic problem for some cruisers. if you fly in the night before and your hotel has a shuttle and the last shuttle is 1200. (because late check out is at 1200) but because you booked late the only slot available to board is the last one what in the world are you to do. carnival wants me to now pay for additional transportation to the port that was originally included in my hotel booking, and carry my luggage around for hours. Both of us have bad back problems and I wont lug that around for hours. if oasis and allure can board over 6000 people with a less than 30 minute wait then its not the people arriving thats the problem, its that carnival needs more people to check in the guests or figure out what thier system need to be fixed. they need to maximize their system and not blame the guests for their broken system. We arrived for oasis at 1030 and was on board in 20 mins- we had no special check in or status. they do need to post what times are available when you book the cruise. I wont book the cruise with a late time if i have a hotel the night before. Im on vacation and it sounds like to much of a hassle for me to get to the port hours after check out. Its not such a problem if you are driving to the port. That is just my opinion and im sure some wont agree.

I am currently sitting at Houston Hobby waiting on Carnival's transfer to Galveston. I got here at 9 am. Carnival's representative told me their first bus doesn't leave until 10:30, so that basically nullifies any priority embarkation priviliges. I have an assigned 10:30am embarkation time, but I won't even get to leave the airport until 10:30. So just a head's up for anyone considering purchasing Carnival transfers.

Edited by winddawn

I am currently sitting at Houston Hobby waiting on Carnival's transfer to Galveston. I got here at 9 am. Carnival's representative told me their first bus doesn't leave until 10:30, so that basically nullifies any priority embarkation priviliges. I have an assigned 10:30am embarkation time, but I won't even get to leave the airport until 10:30. So just a head's up for anyone considering purchasing Carnival transfers.

Thankd for the heads up for people who might find themselves in a similar boat. Looks like in a case like this, a taxi/uber/lyft might be a better option for others with early boarding.

Are they loading the buses by first come first serve or are they loading the buses by boarding times? I heard boarding times which makes sense but just trying to verify.

Are they loading the buses by first come first serve or are they loading the buses by boarding times? I heard boarding times which makes sense but just trying to verify.

They are not loading busses by embarkation time. My embarkation time is 10:30 and I am still sitting on a bus at the airport waiting to leave Hobby. They are more concerned about filling the bus before leaving.

Edited by winddawn

They are not loading busses by embarkation time. My embarkation time is 10:30 and I am still sitting on a bus at the airport waiting to leave Hobby.

Now see this would tick me off. Seems like an issue with Carnival transfers. How far is the airport from the port?

Now see this would tick me off. Seems like an issue with Carnival transfers. How far is the airport from the port?

Galveston port is about an hour from Houston Hobby airport. Yes this is very much like a cattle herding experience. Still sitting here waiting on them to fill this bus. My platinum means nothing here. Nor would FTTF. I have been sitting here at the airport since 9am watching this whole Carnival transfer process. The bus I am still sitting on appears to be the only bus that is doing transfers. Everyone waiting has been loaded on one bus and we are still waiting to leave. It is after 11am now. This service is very much being done at the convenience of the transfer service and not for the convenience of guests. This will be my one and only cruise out of Galveston. This is not my idea of how I want to spend my vacation time.

Edited by winddawn

My problem with this is that the first day of the cruise counts as one of the days I am paying for since you get off the ship first thing in the morning on the last day. I am not OK with not being allowed into the terminal until 2-3 PM. By the time you get on the ship and get your stuff dropped off it could be 4! Why should I pay the same price as someone who was on the ship enjoying a meal (that was included in the price!!) at noon while I had to buy lunch on my own since I had to wait so late.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if one day they start charging a little more for the early boarding times.

It will be interesting to see how popular this system is when booking times depend on how early you book your cruise. So far, the pre-booking has only been available for such a short time that this has not been a factor. I'm guessing that the vast majority of cruise critic readers and other experienced cruisers realized very quickly that they needed to pre-book times and were able to get exactly the times they wanted. If everyone who books a cruise is immediately invited to check-in and choose a time, the experience will be very different than it is now.

I think the whole idea is ridiculous and causes more problems than it solves, but perhaps Carnival would at least consider making the ability to choose booking times available only at a certain number of months before the cruise, with an even shorter time frame for the 3-5 day cruises? I know they want people to lock in cruises early, but some people just can't because of work or school schedules and lower prices already encourage early booking for those who can. My last two cruises were booked at three months out and 1.5 months out for various reasons. I would be extremely reluctant to book a short last-minute cruise if I knew I had a good chance of being stuck boarding late on an already short cruise.

Galveston port is about an hour from Houston Hobby airport. Yes this is very much like a cattle herding experience. Still sitting here waiting on them to fill this bus. My platinum means nothing here. Nor would FTTF. I have been sitting here at the airport since 9am watching this whole Carnival transfer process. The bus I am still sitting on appears to be the only bus that is doing transfers. Everyone waiting has been loaded on one bus and we are still waiting to leave. It is after 11am now. This service is very much being done at the convenience of the transfer service and not for the convenience of guests. This will be my one and only cruise out of Galveston. This is not my idea of how I want to spend my vacation time.

If you take Carnival transfers, you have to wait till the bus is full. That is the main reason we do use Carnival transfers. Enjoy your cruise.

Terrible. They should refund your money for this leg of the transfer. Unacceptable to keep people waiting for hours. I don't think it has anything to do with staggered boarding, because you would have priority whenever you got there. But for them to load the bus one flight arrival at a time is ridiculous.

If you take Carnival transfers, you have to wait till the bus is full. That is the main reason we do use Carnival transfers. Enjoy your cruise.

Really? That would be the one reason I didn't. If I ask for a pick up hours after my flight that's one thing, but sitting there on a bus when you're ready to go is horrible. I even dislike that on tours in the ports, but I deal with it because it doesn't take that long. Carnival needs to use smaller buses that run more often.

My problem with this is that the first day of the cruise counts as one of the days I am paying for since you get off the ship first thing in the morning on the last day. I am not OK with not being allowed into the terminal until 2-3 PM. By the time you get on the ship and get your stuff dropped off it could be 4! Why should I pay the same price as someone who was on the ship enjoying a meal (that was included in the price!!) at noon while I had to buy lunch on my own since I had to wait so late.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if one day they start charging a little more for the early boarding times.

If they changed boarding times to earlier, then they would have to get into port even earlier. So either way, worst case scenario you "lose" a couple hours either on the front or back end of the cruise.

Plenty of people show up in the afternoon. You aren't missing out on much.

It will be interesting to see how popular this system is when booking times depend on how early you book your cruise. So far, the pre-booking has only been available for such a short time that this has not been a factor. I'm guessing that the vast majority of cruise critic readers and other experienced cruisers realized very quickly that they needed to pre-book times and were able to get exactly the times they wanted. If everyone who books a cruise is immediately invited to check-in and choose a time, the experience will be very different than it is now.

I think the whole idea is ridiculous and causes more problems than it solves, but perhaps Carnival would at least consider making the ability to choose booking times available only at a certain number of months before the cruise, with an even shorter time frame for the 3-5 day cruises? I know they want people to lock in cruises early, but some people just can't because of work or school schedules and lower prices already encourage early booking for those who can. My last two cruises were booked at three months out and 1.5 months out for various reasons. I would be extremely reluctant to book a short last-minute cruise if I knew I had a good chance of being stuck boarding late on an already short cruise.

You would let a couple hours stop you from taking a vacation?

You would let a couple hours stop you from taking a vacation?

I take many different types of trips. I don't have to choose a Carnival cruise. If one option is a four-day cruise, knowing that I can't board until 2 p.m. instead of 11:30 a.m. does make a significant difference to me. Boarding early, I have a meal at my normal lunch time before the ship gets crazy, and then enjoy the ONLY time when the hot tubs aren't packed, before muster drill, unpacking, and dinner. On shorter cruises on smaller ships, those couple hours have been my favorite part of the cruise.

I'm also not sure when I would arrive at the port. There's no way I'd aim for 2 p.m., knowing the various delays that can occur.