Galveston Staggered Embarkation ---- Any feedback?

Maggiepie

Any 11/14 or 11/15 Galveston cruisers currently online? The trial testing of assigned/staggered boarding happened this past weekend. Was wondering how good (or bad) it was. Word was that you wouldn't even be allowed into the terminal until your assigned time. We leave this coming Saturday on the Freedom...just curious.

Any 11/14 or 11/15 Galveston cruisers currently online? The trial testing of assigned/staggered boarding happened this past weekend. Was wondering how good (or bad) it was. Word was that you wouldn't even be allowed into the terminal until your assigned time. We leave this coming Saturday on the Freedom...just curious.

You beat me to it! I was going to wait until next week to follow up on this. I'm curious as well to hear their feedback, especially if anyone arrived prior to their check-in time and was not allowed to enter the terminal. Hope the new pilot process went smoothly or this board is going to blow up next week.

I'm curious how FTTF affects the check in time. The earliest available checkin time for our Jan 25 Freedom cruise was 10:30. Did I get that time because we have FTTF or can you just show up whenever with FTTF? I think overall the staggered times sound like a good idea, we'll see how it works out in the real world.

I'm curious how FTTF affects the check in time. The earliest available checkin time for our Jan 25 Freedom cruise was 10:30. Did I get that time because we have FTTF or can you just show up whenever with FTTF? I think overall the staggered times sound like a good idea, we'll see how it works out in the real world.

We have FTTF for a February 2016 cruise out of Galveston. I checked my dashboard and it shows a boarding time of 11:00 - 12:00. Of course this is a Bloggers Cruise and from what I've seen on our roll call there will be a lot of Platinum and Diamond cruisers on it. Who will naturally get to board before us Gold members. And that is the way it should be when it comes to loyalty perks.

Edited by lady_cruiser

Those who experienced the new pilot check-in process (Galveston) should be arriving back today and tomorrow. Hopefully we will hear either specifically on this topic or mentioned in their reviews. Or maybe not at all if it was not a big deal. My hope is that we hear it did improve embarkation and people noticed a difference.

I just returned from the Freedom out of Galveston. We arrived about 10:30am because we had FTTF.

They checked our boarding pass for a time before they let us drop off luggage or get out of the car.

We saw many people trying to get inside the check in area and it was not their scheduled time. They were turned away. I did not see them redirecting people to a waiting area, but I heard at some point they had a waiting area where you could wait until your time. (I did not see this for myself).

I saw some very upset and confused people that seemed to either be completely clueless about this becuase they did not read emails or confused because they always ignored email and now it was being enforced.

The biggest problem I saw is they were standing in the way of people who had arrived on time or had priority boarding. They had to be asked to move because they were just standing there not knowing what to do and then they were walking against flow of traffic.

I cannot speak for later times in the day.

Sheryl

I wonder how/if this will affect the way we are checked in, since currently we're checked in the minute they start allowing people to check in. We are also usually boarded first..sometimes before Plat/Diamond/Wedding parties.

You will have a time to arrive to the terminal , so if you arrive at your assigned time , you will go to check in right away

I'm curious as to whether they will make us wait, is the thing. If we arrive before our scheduled time, that is.

Our son (as it says in my signature down there) is autistic, which is why we generally get checked in as soon as they start allowing people to go get checked in. We never have to wait (unless we arrive after around 11 or so, which we almost never do) to go check in.

I wonder how/if this will affect the way we are checked in, since currently we're checked in the minute they start allowing people to check in. We are also usually boarded first..sometimes before Plat/Diamond/Wedding parties.

I am not sure how it will affect your family. I guess you will have to contact Carnival and ask. I saw them boarding those that needed special assistance first. However after that they just boarded as they checked in. So I am not sure what the check in times were if any.

We have FTTF for a February 2016 cruise out of Galveston. I checked my dashboard and it shows a boarding time of 11:00 - 12:00. Of course this is a Bloggers Cruise and from what I've seen on our roll call there will be a lot of Platinum and Diamond cruisers on it. Who will naturally get to board before us Gold members. And that is the way it should be when it comes to loyalty perks.

We are on that cruise have FTTF and are Gold. Went and checked my account the day after I saw the staggered boarding and was able to choose the 10:30 slot.

Edited by Swampbaby

I am not sure how it will affect your family. I guess you will have to contact Carnival and ask. I saw them boarding those that needed special assistance first. However after that they just boarded as they checked in. So I am not sure what the check in times were if any.

I will certainly have DH call our PVP and ask for sure. I didn't know that they were going to start doing this in Galveston.

Sometimes, when he's very excited and in a situation that can be kind of overwhelming for him (as waiting in a crowded terminal waiting to board can be at times), he melts down because it's just all too much for him to take in at once and he's incredibly excited. Meltdowns are not fun for anyone, especially him, and if we can check in right away that's usually best because at least it gets that part over with. About 95% of the time we can manage to keep him busy/distracted until we board but still..there's the off chance that he might melt down because he's SO freaking excited and overstimulated, yanno?

Seems like the same people who want on at 10 AM also want off first, go figure.

Don't you mean they want off LAST, PaperBkWriter?;)

I guess my question to you is this: If you are assigned a 12:30 boarding time, are you going to arrive at 11:00 expecting to board early because of your son?

Well, with all things, we will see how it goes the first time if this is what happens. IF it does not go well the first time, then we will definitely talk to our PVP and Carnival Customer Care (or whatever it's called..usually it's my DH handling these things) and see what we can do about the next time. Because we never know what's going to happen until it happens, right?

And for the record, we never ASKED to be boarded first. We simply asked our PVP to add it to our file that we would probably need a person at Guest Svcs assigned to us in case we had any specific problems on the ship and to add to our file that our son was special needs. The first time we were boarded first it was a shock. We were like, "Um..well..ok." and after that, it was like, "Well I guess this is what is SUPPOSED to happen." and we never questioned it.

Usually by the time we get to the terminal, our son is tired of playing with my husband's phone or his tablet. He's excited about the trip and anxious to get onboard ship and while we do our very best to keep him occupied in the terminal while we wait, it's not always the easiest thing to do. Though honestly, we DO try.

I'm curious as to whether they will make us wait, is the thing. If we arrive before our scheduled time, that is.

Our son (as it says in my signature down there) is autistic, which is why we generally get checked in as soon as they start allowing people to go get checked in. We never have to wait (unless we arrive after around 11 or so, which we almost never do) to go check in.

You could always just show up later in the day. Lines are pretty much non-existent the closer it is to boarding time.

I will certainly have DH call our PVP and ask for sure. I didn't know that they were going to start doing this in Galveston.

Sometimes, when he's very excited and in a situation that can be kind of overwhelming for him (as waiting in a crowded terminal waiting to board can be at times), he melts down because it's just all too much for him to take in at once and he's incredibly excited. Meltdowns are not fun for anyone, especially him, and if we can check in right away that's usually best because at least it gets that part over with. About 95% of the time we can manage to keep him busy/distracted until we board but still..there's the off chance that he might melt down because he's SO freaking excited and overstimulated, yanno?

If you can't get special treatment from Carnival AND you're really concerned about your son, I'd suggest getting to the cruise terminal late.

As others have suggested, arrive after 2:00 (assuming a 4 P.M. departure) and you should not encounter any lines and can be aboard the ship in 15 minutes.

Good luck!

Wow, I love how everyone is giving IPlayWithString advice on how to handle her son. She is not asking for preferential treatment, but wondering how that will change their routine.

She is not only looking out for her son, but for others as well if her son were to have a problem. She is being considerate because you can tell she does not want to impact others as well.

I have been away from this board for almost a year, but I can see somethings have not changed! People knowing what is better for another person.

Wow, I love how everyone is giving IPlayWithString advice on how to handle her son. She is not asking for preferential treatment, but wondering how that will change their routine.

She is not only looking out for her son, but for others as well if her son were to have a problem. She is being considerate because you can tell she does not want to impact others as well.

I have been away from this board for almost a year, but I can see somethings have not changed! People knowing what is better for another person.

If someone has a legitimate reason for early boarding this should be worked out well in advance with special needs to the point a priority boarding pass is issued, well ahead of time, to those involved. Showing up at the pier and expressing "an issue" to the guy checking boarding passes at the "1st gate" isn't the appropriate way to handle the situation.

Hundreds of passengers "feel" that they have legitimate reasons for early boarding...from legitimate handicaps or disabilities, temporary physical restrictions, old parents, too many young kids (and I am sure there are lots more). If everyone was accommodated, as well as platinum and diamonds, suites, weddings, FTTF those with a 10:30 "show up time" would be pushed further and further back and eventually havoc would again be the norm.

If the poster with the autistic son worked with the "special needs" department there would be no need for this discussion. She/he needs to be prepared in advance and not just think that she/he should be given priority treatment once they get to the pier....that is a bit presumptive.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

Personally I think the best thing for you and your son is to pick the last boarding time slot available and show up then... It should be much less crowded, less waiting around and probably best for your son ...and you...

If someone has a legitimate reason for early boarding this should be worked out well in advance with special needs to the point a priority boarding pass is issued, well ahead of time, to those involved. Showing up at the pier and expressing "an issue" to the guy checking boarding passes at the "1st gate" isn't the appropriate way to handle the situation.

Hundreds of passengers "feel" that they have legitimate reasons for early boarding...from legitimate handicaps or disabilities, temporary physical restrictions, old parents, too many young kids (and I am sure there are lots more). If everyone was accommodated, as well as platinum and diamonds, suites, weddings, FTTF those with a 10:30 "show up time" would be pushed further and further back and eventually havoc would again be the norm.

If the poster with the autistic son worked with the "special needs" department there would be no need for this discussion. She/he needs to be prepared in advance and not just think that she/he should be given priority treatment once they get to the pier....that is a bit presumptive.

I agree. 100%. Show up later. You WILL avoid the crowds. Not everyone can get onboard first. That's just common sense. And I imagine there are a plethora of special needs. Where's the priority if everyone goes first?

I think in Carnival trying to be accommodating once or twice, the poster now expects it. No good deed.....

If you can't get special treatment from Carnival AND you're really concerned about your son, I'd suggest getting to the cruise terminal late.

As others have suggested, arrive after 2:00 (assuming a 4 P.M. departure) and you should not encounter any lines and can be aboard the ship in 15 minutes.

Good luck!

I want to believe this, but last year when we got on the Elation we did just this. Showed up at the port at 2:30 pm and apparently everyone else followed this method. We were in line for an hour easily. We were not the last ones there, but by the time we got checked in they had closed the doors and said that they were not allowing anyone else into the terminal.

Bingo! Well said.