Luxor

mrlevin

We are booked on this cruise in October. We have decided to do the tour that overnights at a hotel. Is the only way to see Karnak, Luxor temple, and Valley of the Kings. It'll also be easier not having the long ride twice in one day. I'm looking forward to seeing all these temples. We hope and pray the political situation in Egypt won't change and Luxor gets cancelled. They already cancelled a day in Egypt.

Forevertravel

We are booked on this cruise in October. We have decided to do the tour that overnights at a hotel. Is the only way to see Karnak, Luxor temple, and Valley of the Kings. It'll also be easier not having the long ride twice in one day. I'm looking forward to seeing all these temples. We hope and pray the political situation in Egypt won't change and Luxor gets cancelled. They already cancelled a day in Egypt.

Forevertravel

Late to the conversation here, but in 2015 (IST-DUB) we took the Regent overnight option to Luxor and enjoyed it with no regrets. You break the 3+ hour trip to/from over two days, see the Luxor Temple and Karnak Temple (twice...once in the day and then again for the nighttime light show), a viewing of Hatshepsut's Temple and a visit to the Valley of the Kings plus a couple of other more minor stops. For the Valley of the Kings, understand that the tombs you can visit rotate to reduce visitor impact so the three you can choose will differ over time. We entered the Ramses VII (KV1), Ramses IV (KV2), and Tutankhamun (KV62) Tombs. There are also a couple of other more minor stops. All in all, we thought it very worthwhile and hope you find it so as well.

• 4 weeks later...

We are on Regent's cruise Rome to Dubai this October and are doing the overnight Luxor. I know is pricey but is the only way to see the important sights. The one day tours do not cover everything and on the second day we can't do Luxor because we depart at 6pm. Who knows if we'll ever be back to Egypt so we want to see as much as we can. We opted out of doing it on our own because we feel safer with Regent plus if something happens Regent will get us back to the ship. I was disappointed the cancel Cairo, but I know is for security reasons.

Final excursions posted and Exclusive Luxor is not being offered. :mad: Can anyone say "bait and switch?" By the way, the full day excursions to Cairo ARE included even though we are stopping at Port Said for less than an hour. Is this any way to run a cruise line??

Final excursions posted and Exclusive Luxor is not being offered. :mad: Can anyone say "bait and switch?" By the way, the full day excursions to Cairo ARE included even though we are stopping at Port Said for less than an hour. Is this any way to run a cruise line??

I don't know if I'd call it a bait-and-switch so much as a capacity issue. I've seen Regent Choice excursions be cancelled due to insufficient participation - it's a good idea to ask in advance whether certain excursions have minimum or maximum participation. There are also security concerns, transportation issues, etc.

I wouldn't know if it's any way to run a cruise line - I've never run one before. There are a lot of logistical issues behind the scenes, and everything doesn't always go as planned. Maybe it's better to concentrate on what you do get to see and experience rather than what you don't - might result in fewer "angry" smilies, who knows?

Portolan thank you for your comments. I'm glad we booked the overnight tour of Luxor. I know is pricey but being that is Egypt, I feel safer doing it with Regent. By the way, the overnight tour is not offered any more or at least is not listed. I don't understand why they have cancelled the one tour since booking for tours does not start till March 1st for Gold and above and Concierge and above. I also found it interesting that they have not updated the tours and tours to Cairo still show. Someone in Destinations needs to look at website and update.:)

I can't remember which one this is. I agree with others that overnight in Luxor makes sense--it's a long bus ride.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Memphis Tours from Safaga, overnight, for about $250. Stayed in same hotel as Regent tour and basically same itinerary. We had five couples book together and had two vans with two couples in one and three in other. Would highly recommend. Here is the link: https://www.memphistours.com/Egypt/Shore-Excursions/Safaga-Port/overnight-Luxor-trips

Sent from my iPad using Forums