Qatar vs Emirates

rabin1

Hello

Has anyone ever been on either of these two airlines? If so what was your experience if you flew economy.

I am trying to decide which one to fly to Dubai. I read reviews and they were 50/50 on both. The one thing Emirates does do is fly non-stop from Ft. Lauderdale where I live. I am mostly concerned about the space in economny because of my bad legs.

Thanks for your help

Kathy

Hello

Has anyone ever been on either of these two airlines? If so what was your experience if you flew economy.

I am trying to decide which one to fly to Dubai. I read reviews and they were 50/50 on both. The one thing Emirates does do is fly non-stop from Ft. Lauderdale where I live. I am mostly concerned about the space in economny because of my bad legs.

Thanks for your help

Kathy

I have extensive experience with both. I've never flown economy, only business, but I know these two airlines well-enough to tell you that there is not a huge difference in the economy experience. You're going to feel cramped regardless. The advantage to Qatar's economy seating is that the middle section is only 3 seats, compared to 4 on Emirates. Legroom is similar on both.

From a service standpoint, Qatar is far better than Emirates - the Qatar crews are unfailingly flawless and friendly, whereas Emirates service has gone downhill with unpleasant crews.

I'm a big advocate of Qatar, but since Emirates flies nonstop out of FLL, that might be the easiest option for you. Just don't get seats in the middle.

Michael

Michael is spot on I have a lot of experience of the two though like him in Business Class. Qatar often has business class sales so check that out. I was not impressed with Emirates Business Class at all at the weekend I find the service on Qatar to be much more interested in providing service as opposed to Emirates where it is "service so long as it is on my terms".

I also like Doha airport far easier to transit in than Dubai and again much more helpful agents - I know that is not relevant for the original poster but might be an issue for others reading this thread!!

Last year we flew to singapore in economy with Emirates and thought the on board service to be good. We were seated towards the rear of the A380 and found for three out of four sectors we had the four middle seats between the two of us so we were able to stretch out. Most of the passengers seemed to have booked seats near the front of the aircraft. Recently we travelled Emirates Business class and found the chauffeur service, check in and lounges very good and the in flight entertainment system excellent (I think it is the same system thoughout all classes of travel). But like the previous posters we found the on board service distinctly poor, particularly for the price we paid, at its best it was haphazard at its worst chaotic.

we have travelled with both albeit always in business because our flights are long-haul.

emirates have excellent timetable connections to Europe. we also like the emirates chauffer service but we prefer the seating on Qatar and the inflight service. plus the airport at Doha is easier to transit than Dubai. the lounge areas in Doha are superb.

perhaps see if you can book seats with better legroom in economy?

Thanks for asking the question. I have only used Emirates in Economy class, which I have found to be better than other economy class. Good entertainment and acceptable food.

Now reading the good reviews on Qatar, I will consider it for my next flight. It means changing planes as oposite to Emirates which is direct flight, but the Qatar flight has a lower Price.

Reading this is nice as we have just booked Qatar business class coming home from Athens. We only have Etihad to compare it to- and they were wonderful! My only disappointment is that my kindle will have to be in my checked bag. 15 hours on a flight and no kindle. But maybe by the fall this will have been adjusted or even dropped. But I am not going to count on it- once these things are put in place they have a tendency to be permanent.

OP, We have flown on Qatar from Washington Dulles and then on to India for an Azamara cruise, in Economy. The seats are an inch wider than in Emirates and there appears to be a bit more legroom, according to seatguru.com and our experience. We booked seats toward the back of the plane and had an extra seat or two between our seats on 3 of 4 of our flights, not bad. I would suggest you look at the seating charts on seat guru before you make your final decision. Food was tasty and there were lots of entertainment choices. We would recommend Qatar even if you have a short layover in Doha.

Dididi- you can take a stopover in Doha with a free visa. Wonderful way to get a glimpse of places you might otherwise never visit. We stopped in Abu Dhabi last year for a day and took a tour of the city, including the new amazing mosque. Wonderful day. This year we are taking two nights in Doha. These stopovers are a real plus for us.

But I still can't have my kindle:-(

You guys are great and have given me much to think about. Based on what you have all said I would like to do Qatar BUT Emirates goes direct from Ft. Lauderdale. So should I do the direct flight or the one with Qatar that I think will make a stop and it would be out of Miami? I live maybe 20 minutes from Ft. Lauderdale airport.

Thanks again for your help and guidance. It is very much appreciated

Kathy

Direct and local would add a lot of weight in favor of Emirates for me. Chose your seat carefully.

Hi

How would you suggest I chose a seat? I know I can;t have bulkhead or exit. Please tell me your thoughts.

I am also agreeing with you and leaning towards Emirates for the reasons you stated.

Thanks

Kathy

An aisle on which ever side gives you most comfort. Understand why you can't have an exit row but why not bulkhead? There may be reasons but I haven't encountered them unless they are economyplus? Also would check out SeatGuru to make sure you don't get a bad seat for whatever reason.

I would then take a decent pain medication as I was boarding- they keep me comfortable and help me sleep. If the back row has a reclining back I might consider them so you can recline fully and not feel guilty about intruding on someone else. But check seat guru carefully for those as the last seats sometimes do not recline. Gotten stuck with those on occasion- miserable.

An aisle on which ever side gives you most comfort. Understand why you can't have an exit row but why not bulkhead? There may be reasons but I haven't encountered them unless they are economyplus? Also would check out SeatGuru to make sure you don't get a bad seat for whatever reason.

Bulk head seats are often reserved for passengers travelling with infants, as the bassinet is attatched to the bulk head. Also on some aircraft a bulkhead seat can be less comfortable if you are very tall as there is less room in front of you to stretch out i.e. there is no seat infront of you to stretch your feet under. As suggested, check seat guru and compare their plan with your airline's live seating plan when you choose your seats.

Agree with possibility that bulkhead may be bad but sometimes they have nothing in front of you. Checking seat guru critical. But back seats have advantages if they recline. Also if plane is not full you can check out multiple empty seats more easily from there which can sometimes give you an entire row to sleep across. Have lucked out sometimes with this approach but you have to act quickly and with assertion. Putting coats and books on empty seats once doors are closed works.

Re: Layover in Doha

We did an overnight layover on our way back to Dulles. Same price. The "regular" layover would have been two hours and we wanted to see a bit of Qatar. The price for the visa was nominal, from what I remember.

The flight from Doha to Dubai is very short. I would select the option that makes the long, 12-14-hour flight less miserable.

Good luck and safe travels!

Thank you everyone for your information and thoughts.

I don;t want to do a layover and I don;t want to do a an overnight because of the luggage for the cruise and coming to Dubai 3 days before the cruise. Soooooooo since Emirates goes straight from Ft. Lauderdale (I live here) to Dubai I will go Emirates. Wonder why they picked Ft. Lauderdale instead of Miami to go direct. But I am happy.

Now I have to figure out how to get back to Ft. Lauderdale from Athens. This it is either going to have to be to Miami or thru JFK I am thinking. Haven;t looked yet and too early to book.

Thanks again everyone.

Kathy

Athens back to Dubai, couple of hour layover, direct to Fort Lauderdale. Seems like that would make the most sense since don't think there is a direct flight from Athens so you are going to be changing planes someplace.

Athens back to Dubai, couple of hour layover, direct to Fort Lauderdale. Seems like that would make the most sense since don't think there is a direct flight from Athens so you are going to be changing planes someplace.

Hi

You are 100% correct however it is not a couple hours. It is a total of 8 hours for both back to Dubai and then layover before leaving for Lauderdale. You are also correct no direct from Athens to Ft. Lauderdale only thru JFK

I really have literally one year before flying for this cruise so I am going to wait and see if maybe some schedules change.

BTW if anyone ever cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale and I can be of any assistance with hotels, restaurants, car services etc let me know. Happy to do what I can

Kathy

Hi,

Been looking at your problem.

Not a starter to fly Athens Dubai as it would mean extra costs of approx $600 .

and not flying ex DXB until 03.30 next morning.

Suggest transfer via Frankfurt or London

LHR one way approx $150 and then Norwegian air to FLL approx £300.

Transfer LHR to LGW $40 bus every 30 minutes

If you use Miami then lots more options on return.

Suggest a good TA to look at BA or Lufthansa A380

Hi,

Been looking at your problem.

Not a starter to fly Athens Dubai as it would mean extra costs of approx $600 .

and not flying ex DXB until 03.30 next morning.

Suggest transfer via Frankfurt or London

LHR one way approx $150 and then Norwegian air to FLL approx £300.

Transfer LHR to LGW $40 bus every 30 minutes

If you use Miami then lots more options on return.

Suggest a good TA to look at BA or Lufthansa A380

Hello

Thank you very much for taking time and trying to help me.

I don;t have a good TA as I usually book things myself. This time I let a client Exp--- pay for the trip for me so he got the bookiing. I have come to same conclusion as you. Miami is only a 30/40 minute drive from my home. I have decided I will probably eventually find something from Athens direct to Miami or Athens to JFK then Miami. One of the problems I am running in to is most airlines only put their schedules out a year in advance. So April 2018 for FTL to Dubai which I will use Emiirates since direct is not out yet. And coming back from Athens will be in May 2018 and that for sure isn't out yet. So right now I can;t really do anything and in a holding pattern.........my bad think I am funny.......lol

Again I appreciate very much what you did.

Have a Blessed Day

Kathy

There are no current direct flights to Miami from Athens.

Not enough demand in Greece because of economic situation

Really suggest you change in Europe for flight to Miami.

Google flights are your friend.

Just look as far out as possible i.e. Feb 2018 to see what is available now.

If you want to be really smart try via AMS or Dublin to LHR for first class to Miami.

Sometimes there are really cheap fares for first i.e $1000