Belmont Stakes

On the Veendam for the June 6th sailing to Bermuda. Does anyone know if the Belmont Stakes would be available on June 6th? There is possibility of a Triple Crown winner, and would love to see it. Personally, I think American Pharoah (yes, that is the spelling) does not have the distance, but still would like to see it.

Thanks.

HAL ships have two ESPN channels. If it is shown on ESPN, you likely will see it. If they have to pay to pull down a network satellite signal , it is less likely.

Edited by sail7seas

Cool:

We had no luck with the Kentucky derby on May 2nd aboard the Westerdam. I think NBC has the rights to the Triple Crown Series. Of course, you will get some stills from ESPN and the report of the winner.....but not nearly the same as watching it live.

Only channels besides ESPN 1 & 2 were MSNBC, BBC and Fox News Channel.....along with two below average movie channels. Everything else was ship information.

I can't wait to see the race.......I think the Pharaoh will rule the Belmont and we will have our first Triple Crown winner in decades. I hope I am wrong since I am going to the Belmont next year and would love to see the Triple Crown vacancy wait until then.

Have a great cruise.

No. They will not show the Belmont Stakes. I know from experience. One year I was on the ship for the Belmont Stakes and a client's horse was running. I wanted to be able to see the race to see how the horse finished. I asked HAL Guest Services prior to the cruise and then at both the front desk and Sports Bar. No luck. The best you can hope for is a good enough internet connection to stream it or replays on the sports/news networks on the in-cabin televisions.

I'm sorry.

Have cruised during the Derby and so many people asked whether it would be broadcast, the CD finally made an announcement that HAL had decided to not purchase the license to be able to broadcast the race. Must be the same for the Belmont. Streaming sounds like your only option unless docked and a friendly establishment will have it on TV.

Cool:

We had no luck with the Kentucky derby on May 2nd aboard the Westerdam. I think NBC has the rights to the Triple Crown Series. Of course, you will get some stills from ESPN and the report of the winner.....but not nearly the same as watching it live.

Only channels besides ESPN 1 & 2 were MSNBC, BBC and Fox News Channel.....along with two below average movie channels. Everything else was ship information.

I can't wait to see the race.......I think the Pharaoh will rule the Belmont and we will have our first Triple Crown winner in decades. I hope I am wrong since I am going to the Belmont next year and would love to see the Triple Crown vacancy wait until then.

Have a great cruise.

Just sayin'; The ESPN channels on the ship are not the same ones I get at home. ESPN is some ESPN International satellite feed with a lot more soccer and ESPN 2 does SOMETIMES have the same programming as what I get at home; however, the scrolling news at the bottom of the screen is different.

The point being: If some game/event/show is scheduled for ESPN or ESPN 2 (especially ESPN) that you hope to see; due the the different satellite feed that the ship gets, you might not necessarily get to see it on the ship.

No. They will not show the Belmont Stakes. I know from experience. One year I was on the ship for the Belmont Stakes and a client's horse was running. I wanted to be able to see the race to see how the horse finished. I asked HAL Guest Services prior to the cruise and then at both the front desk and Sports Bar. No luck. The best you can hope for is a good enough internet connection to stream it or replays on the sports/news networks on the in-cabin televisions.

I'm sorry.

With all the other sports options out there, were you really expecting them to provide a Belmont feed just because you wanted it. If they did it for you, everyone would be demanding their favorite basketball, football, baseball, soccer, gymnastics, car racing, etc., etc., etc. event.

The problem with any horse racing TV presentation is that they make a 2 minute race into a 1 + hour show.

DON

With all the other sports options out there, were you really expecting them to provide a Belmont feed just because you wanted it. If they did it for you, everyone would be demanding their favorite basketball, football, baseball, soccer, gymnastics, car racing, etc., etc., etc. event.

The problem with any horse racing TV presentation is that they make a 2 minute race into a 1 + hour show.

DON

Wow, DON, you definitely woke up on the proverbially wrong side of the bed or you had too many free drinks while losing big at the craps tables. No one expected anything, but a query was posed asking about the possibility of it being broadcast. To enlighten you, the American Triple Crown has only been completed 11 times since 1919, and would be along the lines of throwing a perfect game in baseball. It is incredibly difficult and if accomplished, guarantees that horse will go down in history. In addition, the last time I looked, TVs still have off buttons, and in order to avoid the nonsense before the race, all one has to do is utilize it and then turn it back on a couple of minutes before post.

Remember, no one is asking for special treatment nor requesting special snowflake status. It was an inquiry posed about the possibility of seeing it. You might want to curb your trollish behavior or not post when hungover.

If you have Sirius XM, sign up for Internet access. (It's included in some plans, a small charge on others.) The race will be on Internet channel 92. . You'll still have to pony up (Get it? ;) ) for the Internet minutes on the ship, but you'll get full race coverage.

If you have Sirius XM, sign up for Internet access. (It's included in some plans, a small charge on others.) The race will be on Internet channel 92. . You'll still have to pony up (Get it? ;) ) for the Internet minutes on the ship, but you'll get full race coverage.

Yup, that is right as I have SiriusXM and the race is broadcast. Another plan suggested! Thank you.

What is it with the puns? :D

DON

Where did I say I was expecting them to provide the race JUST because I wanted it? Yes, I anted to see the race, but I never once expected, or said I did, that the ship would broadcast the race JUST for me. I wondered if they would show the race because, no matter what you think (and obviously you don't care about horse racing, which is fair enough), it IS a big deal when there is a Triple Crown on the line.

I asked at several outlets because I was TOLD to do so by the staff at Customer Service and the Front Desk. They did not carry it. I was sharing my experience in trying to see the race.

As for making things longer than they are, football games are an hour and a half and most broadcasts are at a minimum 3 hours. If you don't like them, don't watch them.

Edited by ellieanne

As for making things longer than they are, football games are an hour and a half and most broadcasts are at a minimum 3 hours. If you don't like them, don't watch them.

Heck, the Superbowl broadcasts begin 6 hours before the actual event. Talk about overextending the unnecessary.

Anyway, the Belmont Stakes will not be available on the cruise televisions and other options will be required. Such is life. :D

Edited by coolbluegreenseas