Norwegian Sun - Questions

keri2000

Hi all, I am going on the Norwegian Sun next week and was hoping someone could provide some info about the shop since it's been refurbished recently.

1. The beds! Are the mattresses comfortable? Please tell me they are.

2. Is the pool covered or heated since this is an Alaskan cruise?

3. Is there a formal night for dinner on a week long cruise? I can't seem to confirm yes or no.

1. Subjective, but they are not made of steel and concrete and nails. I have found all the beds on various NCL ships in various cabin categories to be quite comfortable.

2. Not covered, somewhat heated but probably still too cold for most depending on the weather.

3. No formal night on any NCL cruise. There is what NCL calls "Dress Up or Not Night" which never approaches formal in my experience.

Thank you! We were actually going to have my hubby's suit dry cleaned but from your response I thinks that's not needed. I really appreciate your help!

It has been many,many years since I have taken even a sport coat. I do take nice slacks and button down shirts - nothing fancy. That puts me in the middle of dress you will see. A small percent will have a suit on. A few will decide they are vacation and damn well wear shorts and a t-shirt.

I found the bed comfy- but the constant light was an issue for me. Take a sleep mask! There was a dress up night, but you don't have to. We ate in specialty restaurants every night- had the UDP so my group was dressier, but that was collared shirts and khakis (teenage boys)

Don't get me wrong... there are a fair number of folks who dress it up a little. But being Alaska, you've got enough extra to pack already in terms of jackers, sweaters, boots, and all that.

Slacks and a nice button down is sufficient.

Or to put it another way:

Formal wear on an Alaskan cruise is a long sleeve plaid lumberjack shirt - jeans - and logging boots.

The Titanic 4th class formal was tux & tails cumberbum and all that malarkey.

This is not a Mediterranean Caribbean cruise where you have to dress up slightly better - Smart Cruise Casual !

Don't be planning on dining with the Captain if you can't past dress code muster ! LOL !

Suedonym3

What kind of light was keeping you awake - the small table lights have switches in the base or on the wall.

Maybe you didn't find the switch behind the curtains - you could have contacted the cabin attendant for

assistance.

I turn down all the lights except for the one in the bathroom and close the door to just a crack - that's all I

need for finding my way around the cabin - you could mute the sound on the in cabin TV and adjust the

channel to say the bow camera showing the black of night on the bow deck. Don't tune the TV to the

"You Are Here" channel (the bright BLUE screen) is not recommended by sleep people !

The bow camera is best as there is very little if any flickering like with the other channels.

While DH and I prefer a hard mattress, those who don't have said that requesting an egg crate topper from the room steward helps them. I have heard it said there are a limited number of the toppers so ask for it as soon as you get in your cabin.

Have a great cruise!

• 4 weeks later...
No. I believe I've read that one or two of the specialty restaurants frown on blue jeans, but slacks and a collared shirt are fine.

Wrong, jeans are NOT frowned upon. Shorts will be frowned upon in Le Bistro. Jeans are PANTS and all you need is a pair of pants and a shirt with a collar (golf shirt) and you can get into ANY dining area on ANY Norwegian ship.

• 5 months later...

Randomly looking at old replies and lol just came across this..for anyone who does not know, Alaska has months where the sun does not set, from May 10 until August 2nd, I did not think this would bother me because I always use a sleep makes for sleep. But it really did! My quote when I got back was how much I missed stars! And night. This was a great trip and I loved Alaska...but 24 hours of daylight will mess with your head.

Or to put it another way:

Formal wear on an Alaskan cruise is a long sleeve plaid lumberjack shirt - jeans - and logging boots.

The Titanic 4th class formal was tux & tails cumberbum and all that malarkey.

This is not a Mediterranean Caribbean cruise where you have to dress up slightly better - Smart Cruise Casual !

Don't be planning on dining with the Captain if you can't past dress code muster ! LOL !

Suedonym3

What kind of light was keeping you awake - the small table lights have switches in the base or on the wall.

Maybe you didn't find the switch behind the curtains - you could have contacted the cabin attendant for

assistance.

I turn down all the lights except for the one in the bathroom and close the door to just a crack - that's all I

need for finding my way around the cabin - you could mute the sound on the in cabin TV and adjust the

channel to say the bow camera showing the black of night on the bow deck. Don't tune the TV to the

"You Are Here" channel (the bright BLUE screen) is not recommended by sleep people !

The bow camera is best as there is very little if any flickering like with the other channels.

Randomly looking at old replies and lol just came across this..for anyone who does not know, Alaska has months where the sun does not set, from May 10 until August 2nd, I did not think this would bother me because I always use a sleep makes for sleep. But it really did! My quote when I got back was how much I missed stars! And night. This was a great trip and I loved Alaska...but 24 hours of daylight will mess with your head.

Alaska has months where the sun does not set, from May 10 until August 2nd

Alaska land of the mid-nite sun -- but only at the North Pole.

Where the cruise ships sail (no where near the Pole way too much ice and cold) the darkness -

more like twilight - averages about 4-6 hours during the mid summer months.

The farther north you go the more light - Seward would be the end of the cruise light zone.

If you are fanatical about seeing the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) not going to happen.

Expect dusk at around 10pm and sunrise near 4am + or - .

24 hours of daylight will mess with your head

This has already started to mess with your head - - -

An Inside Cabin turn the lights out and go to bed in the dark.

Other cabins with windows and balconies - simply pull the curtains and shut the lights off.

Some cruise ships cabins have a double set of curtains one for letting in ambient day light

and the other Black-Out type pull both shut and turn the lights out and go to bed in the dark.

You really don't need a sleep mask or a liquor night cap - if you are sipping a night cap then

you don't need sleeping pills - it is hard to sleep when you are cruise excited !

On NCL, you should dress in "business casual" (basically, khakis and a collared shirt, or something better,) in the French and seafood restaurants. In the rest of the restaurants, unless you're in a swimsuit or a "wife beater" (sleeveless shirt,) you're good to go.

On NCL, you should dress in "business casual" (basically, khakis and a collared shirt, or something better,) in the French and seafood restaurants. In the rest of the restaurants, unless you're in a swimsuit or a "wife beater" (sleeveless shirt,) you're good to go.

OP’s Cruise was last year!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are fanatical about seeing the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) not going to happen.] !

Disagree! Stepped out on my balcony after midnight on our second night from Seward and was trying to figure out what the weird barely visible greenish light was when suddenly it hit me! Only last 20/40 seconds and wasn’t very bright but it was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk