Embarkation in Vancouver

I just read a long and distressing thread (in the Ports of Call / Canada section of cc) about embarkation at Canada Place. The op was referring to one of the first cruises out of Vancouver in early May. It was described as a '3 ship' day. Three ships departing the same day and an uncomfortable and endless (3+hours!) wait to go thru immigration, customs, security etc. I determined that we embark on a '2 ship' day. Mariner and a HAL ship. It's still early in the season, and we don't sail for another few weeks, but any experiences or thoughts thus far?

Read my description on my current blog to hear our experience. It was the most non-fun embarkation we have experienced on Regent. Very long lines and long waits. They put us in the same embarkation hall as a huge HAL ship.

Rachel, I was so absorbed in your entire blog, I forgot (and assume and hope you did too!) your frustrating embarkation experience. Just reread it, and can only hope it improves. Appears there is nothing to do but be patient....and know a glass of champagne and wonderful comfort and service is ahead. Your seamail has been such fun to read! Thank you!

We too will board in Vancouver on a "two ship" day shared with HAL. Any chance there are any expedited immigration options (Global Entry, SENTRI, Mobile Passport Control, etc.)? I searched the Port of Vancouver website but did not see anything. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. At least we'll be prepared to wait. I'll pack some snacks. :)

If you go to this website http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Canada/729-Vancouver_British_Columbia/June_2016/ you will learn if there are other ships in port with you in Vancouver (or, if leaving from a different port you can check that as well).

Rachel- we are boarding mid June and will be in the same situation as you were as the HAL Volendam boards the same day.

Jackie- for some reason your link above does not show the Volendam but if you go to the Vancouver cruise departure site it shows two ships departing that day

Not sure we can do a 3 hour wait in line...have to look into what services might be available for my mom

Rachel- we are boarding mid June and will be in the same situation as you were as the HAL Volendam boards the same day.

Jackie- for some reason your link above does not show the Volendam but if you go to the Vancouver cruise departure site it shows two ships departing that day

Not sure we can do a 3 hour wait in line...have to look into what services might be available for my mom

Thank you for letting us all know that the site I linked has a accuracy issue. Not good news. I am wondering why this is being done at the cruise terminal. So people go through immigration at the airport or border AND again at the cruise port ... Very strange.

Thank you for letting us all know that the site I linked has a accuracy issue. Not good news. I am wondering why this is being done at the cruise terminal. So people go through immigration at the airport or border AND again at the cruise port ... Very strange.

Not strange in the least - at the airport/land border you're entering Canada, while at the pier you are being pre-cleared to enter the USA.

It's much cheaper to pay a small cadre of CBP to live & work in Vancouver than it is to place enough staff in every Alaskan port to process multiple cruise ships simultaneously (and while they're here, they also handle airport and train station pre-clearance).

More recent reports indicate, as usual, that the edges have been rubbed off the new staff and processes so things are going much smoother. While there are no dedicated lanes for NEXUS/Global Entry, reports also indicate that (at least when it was really bad) identifying yourself as a card-carrying Trusted Traveler did get you to the head of the CBP queue rather than having to wait around at that stage, so it's possible that might happen again should things get badly backed-up.

If you're traveling with someone genuinely unable to stand for long periods, request a wheelchair transfer in advance for them - you'll be given priority at every stage, even CBP live in fear of the ADA!!!

The simplest thing you can do to minimise queue time is also the best way to maximise your sightseeing time - don't show up at the pier until as close to departure as you can tolerate. If your ship leaves at 4 or 5pm, turn up at 2 or 3pm. As long as you do the post-noon sightseeing somewhere downtown rather than over on the North Shore or other more distant spots where a bridge closure or traffic accident could cause unforeseen delays, there's no risk of missing your ship - the pier is in the heart of downtown rather than in some godforsaken industrial wasteland miles from anywhere, with many world-class attractions within an easy walk.

Also being from the UK we need an ETSTA for both Canada and USA now. I suppose this may also be time used at the port if this needs checked prior to boarding. I know it will be checked on arrival at Vancouver but may need to be seen again. Our last Alaska cruise in 2008 we boarded at ? Ballantine pier?

Jean.

... I am wondering why this is being done at the cruise terminal. So people go through immigration at the airport or border AND again at the cruise port ... Very strange.

Not strange in the least - at the airport/land border you're entering Canada, while at the pier you are being pre-cleared to enter the USA.

TC, what she said ^^^!

I think a wheelchair is the answer for your mom, tallship.

Even if you are not embarking in Vancouver but are there with other ships in port the process is very slow. A lot of it for us has to do with the USA customs. It's too bad.

Also for anyone disembarking in Vancouver for the end of their cruise and if there are one or worse yet two other ships in port don't rely on the taxis. Take a private transfer or a ships transfer.

Keith

Also being from the UK we need an ETSTA for both Canada and USA now. I suppose this may also be time used at the port if this needs checked prior to boarding. I know it will be checked on arrival at Vancouver but may need to be seen again. Our last Alaska cruise in 2008 we boarded at ? Ballantine pier?

Jean.

Actually if it's this cruise season, you do not need an eTA for Canada. Given the major hassles with implementation, the requirement was waived until September 29th. So if you haven't already applied for it, don't bother unless you have other Canada travel planned in the near future (and then be sure to use the site I linked, not one of the private 'we will get it for you at an outrageous markup' operations). Also, unlike US ESTA, our eTA is only for people flying into Canada - if you arrive by sea or land, even if you fly home again you will never need an eTA unless the rules change.

Ballantyne (not bad spelling - frankly better than many locals!) has been closed to cruise operations since the 2014 season. Given it's being significantly altered into part of an expanded container terminal, it will almost certainly never be used for cruising again - and good riddance to it! Our single one-ship embarkation at Ballantyne sucked more than either of our three-ship embarkations at Canada Place...

Actually if it's this cruise season, you do not need an eTA for Canada. Given the major hassles with implementation, the requirement was waived until September 29th. So if you haven't already applied for it, don't bother unless you have other Canada travel planned in the near future (and then be sure to use the site I linked, not one of the private 'we will get it for you at an outrageous markup' operations). Also, unlike US ESTA, our eTA is only for people flying into Canada - if you arrive by sea or land, even if you fly home again you will never need an eTA unless the rules change.

Ballantyne (not bad spelling - frankly better than many locals!) has been closed to cruise operations since the 2014 season. Given it's being significantly altered into part of an expanded container terminal, it will almost certainly never be used for cruising again - and good riddance to it! Our single one-ship embarkation at Ballantyne sucked more than either of our three-ship embarkations at Canada Place...

Martincath thanks very much. I should have noticed my incorrect spelling of Ballantyne as being Scottish I have no excuse there.

I remember it being quite a distance compared to Canada place?

We have already printed the Canadian Esta as we have relatives in Canada and are frequently visiting, so it will be well used. Thanks again, Jean.