Zika questions/opinions

zzrobot

Will be going on the Xmas cruise on the Sunshine soon, traveling with my adult children and their significant others. The 2 ports are Grand Turks and Amber Cove. Both are level 2 for the virus. Maybe I should have them stay on board and enjoy the empty ship and lay in the sun there, rather then go to the beach onshore. Of course all four will be using a 40 percent deet repellent all the time. I'm thinking there would be less chance of exposure on the ship then on the islands, correct?

Unless they are pregnant or trying to get pregnant I wouldn't even give it a second thought. For the average person the risk is low and most people that get the virus have no symptoms.

Yep! We were in GT, Aruba & Curacao, all places with Zika. Honestly, Curacao was the one that we were bothered the most, but I think it was the shady we were at by the beach. So we got a few bites. And then when we got off in Aruba, we saw there was bug spray to use, which we did. Didn't do anything though in GT and didn't notice any problems there.

Zika is only a problem for pregnant women, and at that, the risk is VERY low. However, the CDC recommends that pregnant women avoid areas that Zika is endemic to, which also includes most of the American south.

Actually it is a problem for anyone who is bitten. Male and female have risk and you can carry the virus and not have symptoms and it can be passed between sexual partners. Some reports are stating that Zika is still showing up in men's sperm up to 6 months after being bitten. And the mosquito that carries this can be found indoors. Primarily they are daytime biters but can do so at night, as well. So armed with that bit of information you could still be vulnerable on the ship so using a bug spray with DEET is your best defense against it. If I were in childbearing years, personally I would stay clear of these countries seeing they don't really know how long it last in the body. Not trying to spread fear but passing along information that can be found on the CDC website.

Will be going on the Xmas cruise on the Sunshine soon, traveling with my adult children and their significant others. The 2 ports are Grand Turks and Amber Cove. Both are level 2 for the virus. Maybe I should have them stay on board and enjoy the empty ship and lay in the sun there, rather then go to the beach onshore. Of course all four will be using a 40 percent deet repellent all the time. I'm thinking there would be less chance of exposure on the ship then on the islands, correct?

Even if they have no plans yet of one getting pregnant, extra care aside from the repellent should be taken. Hard to take chances.

Actually it is a problem for anyone who is bitten. Male and female have risk and you can carry the virus and not have symptoms and it can be passed between sexual partners. Some reports are stating that Zika is still showing up in men's sperm up to 6 months after being bitten. And the mosquito that carries this can be found indoors. Primarily they are daytime biters but can do so at night, as well. So armed with that bit of information you could still be vulnerable on the ship so using a bug spray with DEET is your best defense against it. If I were in childbearing years, personally I would stay clear of these countries seeing they don't really know how long it last in the body. Not trying to spread fear but passing along information that can be found on the CDC website.

And again, everything you mention is really for people that are pregnant or trying to get pregnant in the near future. For anyone else there is no big impact. These mosquitoes can be carriers of multiple diseases so for anyone not in the above mentioned groups, using a bug spray with deet is sufficient.

Just because someone gets bit doesn't mean they will get Zika or any other mosquito born disease.

Edited by BeachChik

How many reports of zika has there been? Thousands of people get off.

I think with adult children, you make sure that they are aware of the risk and let them make their own decisions, including whether or not to use insect repellent.

As already said, unless any of the ladies are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant in the near future, I wouldn't worry.

I took my 16 yr old granddaughter to Puerto Rico in July and my husband and I just finished a Panama Canal cruise.

We used insect repellent when ashore and nobody had any problems.

Unless they are pregnant or trying to get pregnant I wouldn't even give it a second thought. For the average person the risk is low and most people that get the virus have no symptoms.

That is totally untrue. The Zika virus has been linked to an increase in Guillain Barre, a very serious disease that causes paralysis. If you knew someone who had the disease you would not be so nonchalant.

Having said that, the chance of contracting the disease is very, very small. However EVERYONE needs to consider the risks and make sure they are protected. I would refer you to the CDC site to be aware of all the risks and the areas it affects. https://www.cdc.gov/zika/

+1.

If you get Zika, you are a carrier for the disease even if you are not planning to get pregnant or are a male or even if you have no symptoms. This means that you can pass the disease to someone such as your daughter or granddaughter or a total stranger via a mosquito that bites you.

Think about it.

Re this post -

"as already said, unless any of the ladies are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant in the near future, I wouldn't worry.

I took my 16 yr old granddaughter to Puerto Rico in July and my husband and I just finished a Panama Canal cruise.

We used insect repellent when ashore and nobody had any problems."

How do you know?

DON

Edited by donaldsc

"as already said, unless any of the ladies are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant in the near future, I wouldn't worry.

We used insect repellent when ashore and nobody had any problems."

How do you know?

DON

Maybe I should have been more specific in saying that none of us got bitten to the best of our knowledge. I know for sure none of us came down with symptoms of the virus.

+1.

1. This means that you can pass the disease to someone such as your daughter or granddaughter or a total stranger via a mosquito that bites you.

2.How do you know?

DON

1. It takes time for the virus to multiply inside your body after you've been bitten. (Assuming that the mosquito that bit you is even infected with Zika. Not every mosquito is a carrier). You don't instantly become infectious, or POTENTIALLY infectious IF you're bitten by a mosquito that carries Zika. Unless you are on a very long cruise and are spending extended periods of time in mosquito infested zones at every port stop, or are returning to your home which is also an area which harbors the mosquito that can carry the disease, the likelihood of you catching Zika and then being bitten and then have that same mosquito bite your child or grandchild are miniscule. And this is assuming that you don't use mosquito repellant and get bitten in the first place. The likelihood of that scenario is laughable.

2. Um, how about no one was bitten on their trip?

That is totally untrue. The Zika virus has been linked to an increase in Guillain Barre, a very serious disease that causes paralysis. If you knew someone who had the disease you would not be so nonchalant.

Having said that, the chance of contracting the disease is very, very small. However EVERYONE needs to consider the risks and make sure they are protected. I would refer you to the CDC site to be aware of all the risks and the areas it affects. https://www.cdc.gov/zika/

I think you are overstating the case for GBS. This syndrome only results in paralysis in its most extreme form, and is usually temporary. And it is a very rare occurance that can happen as a comp!location of many different infections. It can even be triggered by some vaccines (very rarely). But this is a possible rare complication of Zika. Zika itself is usually mild in the average healthy individual.

However your advice to consult the published CDC recommendations is a sound one. I would go one step further, and have the OP give that advice to her adult children and allow them to decide for themselves what to do.

When you say 'have them stay aboard, I shake my head a bit. they are adults. Do they not make such decisions for themselves?

They have significant others. What would they think, how would they feel if rhey saw this thread?

Edited by sail7seas

1. It takes time for the virus to multiply inside your body after you've been bitten. (Assuming that the mosquito that bit you is even infected with Zika. Not every mosquito is a carrier). You don't instantly become infectious, or POTENTIALLY infectious IF you're bitten by a mosquito that carries Zika. Unless you are on a very long cruise and are spending extended periods of time in mosquito infested zones at every port stop, or are returning to your home which is also an area which harbors the mosquito that can carry the disease, the likelihood of you catching Zika and then being bitten and then have that same mosquito bite your child or grandchild are miniscule. And this is assuming that you don't use mosquito repellant and get bitten in the first place. The likelihood of that scenario is laughable.

2. Um, how about no one was bitten on their trip?

The virus can rermain for years inside the body not unlike chicken pox. I do not know if it can be potentially dangerous to a future pregnancy.

How do you know no one has been bitten on their trip? NOt ONe? Not a single person? has gottten a bite from an infected insect. How would you know?

Edited by sail7seas

The virus can rermain for years inside the bfdy not unlike chicken pox. I do not know if it can be potentially dangerous to a future pregnancy.

How do you know no one has been biggten on their trip? NO ONe? Not a single person? has gottten a bite from an infected insect. How would you know?

When was the last time you heard of chicken pox being contracted from a mosquito bite?

I was referring specifically to the poster who was cruising the Panama canal, and her party. Not the entire ship.:rolleyes: I think she would know whether or not she'd been bitten.

Edited by mom says

The virus can rermain for years inside the body not unlike chicken pox.

I would like to know where you got this information. Based on everything I have read, the virus, if you get it, clears from your blood stream within one to two weeks.

The Red Cross asks donors to wait four weeks before donating if they have been to a Zika area.

I've read nothing that indicates it lies dormant for years.

When was the last time you heard of chicken pox being contracted from a mosquito bite?

I was referring specifically to the poster who was cruising the Panama canal, and her party. Not the entire ship.:rolleyes: I think she would know whether or not she'd been bitten.

Wise guy.......... you know exactrly what I saId. The point is very c lear and valid.

Wise guy.......... you know exactrly what I saId. The point is very c lear and valid.

Your point was neither clear nor valid. There has, as yet, been no scientific evidence that the Zika virus will lie dormant in the body for extended periods if time (years). This was specifically addressed in this article:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/zika-virus-outbreak/can-i-ever-get-pregnant-other-questions-about-zika-virus-n583231

There is no evidence backing that up. The body clears the Zika virus eventually. There are some viruses that stay in the body permanently — herpes and the AIDS virus HIV, for example.

But Zika virus is one that the immune system eventually gets rid of.

I would like to know where you got this information. Based on everything I have read, the virus, if you get it, clears from your blood stream within one to two weeks.

The Red Cross asks donors to wait four weeks before donating if they have been to a Zika area.

I've read nothing that indicates it lies dormant for years.

A lot is still being learned about Zika.

It is now known that the virus has been detected in certain bodily fluids many weeks later.

What this means? Not yet understood.

And there have been neurological problems detected in children who were not diagnosed at birth, meaning they didn't have the usual characteristics or tests.

So there is some thought now that the virus may continue to do some harm later than initially assumed.

It's all just too new, and there haven't - yet - been large patient groups to observe or test for years... and years...

When you say 'have them stay aboard, I shake my head a bit. they are adults. Do they not make such decisions for themselves?

They have significant others. What would they think, how would they feel if rhey saw this thread?

I agree with this.

Providing family members with information is one thing. Telling other adults what to do on their vacation is another.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with this.

Providing family members with information is one thing. Telling other adults what to do on their vacation is another.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed. If they are that concerned they probably shouldn't be taking a cruise to the Caribbean. Mosquito borne illnesses are not a new problem by a long shot...malaria anyone? Bug spray is really all you need to protect yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app