Star Princess Alaska next May - How Formal are Formal Nights?

Jazzyjill

We are cruising on Star Princess next May for 7 days from Whittier to Vancouver after an 8 day Land Cruise. We haven’t cruised with Princess before (just P & O and Holland America) nor have we been to Alaska. Do many men wear dinner jackets on formal nights in Alaska or would a dark blazer and slacks be ok? Similarly do ladies wear trousers? We have heard people say that Alaska cruising is a bit less formal than in other places but the Princess blurb does refer to DJ or dark suit for men and long or cocktail dress for women. We like to dress up but don’t want to look out of place so just wondering what will be best to bring. We are flying from England so we do have a weight restriction.

We are cruising on Star Princess next May for 7 days from Whittier to Vancouver after an 8 day Land Cruise. We haven’t cruised with Princess before (just P & O and Holland America) nor have we been to Alaska. Do many men wear dinner jackets on formal nights in Alaska or would a dark blazer and slacks be ok? Similarly do ladies wear trousers? We have heard people say that Alaska cruising is a bit less formal than in other places but the Princess blurb does refer to DJ or dark suit for men and long or cocktail dress for women. We like to dress up but don’t want to look out of place so just wondering what will be best to bring. We are flying from England so we do have a weight restriction.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You will be fine for the 2 formal nights on your cruise with what you describe.

Don't worry about what others wear. Just go have fun and if you like to dress up do it!

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The rules don't change for itinerary. What is requested on formal night in Alaska is the same for Mexico or Norway or whatever. I don't know where that "Alaska is less formal" thing got started. You will be fine in a jacket, shirt and tie. Ladies wear dressy pants and nice tops all the time. This is a contentious subject on CC, and you are going to get all kinds of advice from people who like the rules for dressing and those who don't. Take what you have mentioned and you will be okay.

Hey Jazzyjill !!

We are also going next May for 7 days from Whittier to Vancouver after an 8 day Land Cruise, Tour RB8, starting May 20. Are we on the same tour?

And regarding formal nights, I stick to the black basic "travelers" (from the store brand Chico's, and you can check them out on-line). They travel great. You can wrap them in a ball, then pull them out of your suitcase and they are ready to go. I dress up or down with scarves, costume jewelry and a change of top depending on the evening. Just a suggestion.

Let me know if you are on the same tour!

We have only done Alaska once so far (another scheduled for June) but we saw people dressed quite nicely on formal nights. I don't recall seeing anybody who wasn't dressed nicely. We had a range from slacks and tie to tuxedos. Most were in dark suits.

Hey Jazzyjill !!

We are also going next May for 7 days from Whittier to Vancouver after an 8 day Land Cruise, Tour RB8, starting May 20. Are we on the same tour?

And regarding formal nights, I stick to the black basic "travelers" (from the store brand Chico's, and you can check them out on-line). They travel great. You can wrap them in a ball, then pull them out of your suitcase and they are ready to go. I dress up or down with scarves, costume jewelry and a change of top depending on the evening. Just a suggestion.

Let me know if you are on the same tour!

Hi flip side of fifty

Yes we are on the same tour, we shall have to look out for you! We're really looking forward to visiting Denali and Kenai. We've toured in various parts of the US on several occasions before and have enjoyed some of your other National Parks - my husband is a keen photographer.

Thanks for the tip about the trousers, I'll take a look at the Chico's brand online.

We were on the Star this pass June (2015). On the formal nights we saw men turned away from the MDR without a jacket. On our cruise at least on the formal nights most people tried to follow the dress code. The other nights were pretty casual. The only clothing I saw not allowed in the MDR on non formal nights was shorts.

Edited by ksm77

We were on the Star this pass June (2015). On the formal nights we saw men turned away from the MDR without a jacket. On our cruise at least on the formal nights most people tried to follow the dress code. The other nights were pretty casual. The only clothing I saw not allowed in the MDR on non formal nights was shorts.

I never wear a jacket and have never been turned away on any Princess cruise on any formal night.....:confused:

I have been on a Princess cruise on formal night where one of our table mates was in a tux and another was in a short sleeve button down loud Caribbean print shirt. Was everyone at the table fine with the choice, no, I don't think so, but he was served anyway.

I just got off of the Star last week and I saw all manor of dress on formal night including t-shirts and various states of casual wear. No one I witnessed was turned away. 95 percent followed the basic rules. 5 percent don't care. I don't think Princess wants to make a scene or take the time to police this, especially when the dining room entry is crowded.

I just got off of the Star last week and I saw all manor of dress on formal night including t-shirts and various states of casual wear. No one I witnessed was turned away. 95 percent followed the basic rules. 5 percent don't care. I don't think Princess wants to make a scene or take the time to police this, especially when the dining room entry is crowded.

How did you come up with per centages? I do hope you sat through the entire dinner time and counted all those who entered and all those who did not follow the rules. Both male and female.

Edited by Potstech

This has been our experience on Princess too....I agree with your assessment and rationale.....:cool:

Whether it is in the dining room or just around the mid deck during the formal night festivities, the traditional decorum is not shared by all. I am making an observation over 4 formal nights on B2B Star Princess ending last week. This has been a progressively loosening standard over my 29 Princess Cruises. Not a deal breaker for me. Just a diluted tradition that will likely continue to fade into history.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from a trip to Alaska on the Star. I saw several gentlemen in tuxedos, quite a few in suits, many with a shirt and tie, and a few in just a long-sleeve dress shirt. I didn't see any in t-shirts or polos, but I wasn't paying that much attention to others. I didn't see many women in long formal gowns, but I did see many in cocktail dresses or very nice tops and pants.

I just got back from a trip to Alaska on the Star. I saw several gentlemen in tuxedos, quite a few in suits, many with a shirt and tie, and a few in just a long-sleeve dress shirt. I didn't see any in t-shirts or polos, but I wasn't paying that much attention to others. I didn't see many women in long formal gowns, but I did see many in cocktail dresses or very nice tops and pants.

No plaid flannel shirts and lumberjack boots? ;)

No plaid flannel shirts and lumberjack boots? ;)

On our first Alaska cruise in 2012 a few men at the table next to us wore matching yellow / black plaid flannel shirts --probably from a sports clothing store -- the other men at the table wore suits wore and the ladies evening dresses. The entire group was having a wonderful time -- maybe a family group! :D

How did you come up with per centages? I do hope you sat through the entire dinner time and counted all those who entered and all those who did not follow the rules. Both male and female.
It's called observation. You should also note that these observations are typically based on a sampling which is standard procedure. As an aside, would you have been in the 95% or the 5%? Judging by your previous posts, you would not dine in the main dining room on formal nights:

"But they do not conform to the guidelines that Princess puts out for Formal nights. If not dressed to those guidelines then you should eat in either the buffet or a specialty restaurant. Why should there be any leeway given to women and not for men. Sounds like sex discrimmination. "

Then I read this:

"In April, on the Royal, I wore a long sleeve shirt, tie and dress pants and had no problem eating in the MDR on formal nights. I wad perfectly comfortable there and sat with two great couples that had on suits. We had a very civil and long meal with good conversation."

Now I'm really confused. Just where do you stand on this subject, follow the guidelines or flaunt them?